Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-27-2018, 11:46 AM   #1

Gimbal for K3

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'm looking for a quality gimbal for my K3, and I can't find any info saying, if the Zhiyun Crane 2 is working with Pentax? Does anyone have it, or can recommend another? Thanks.

04-27-2018, 12:35 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MariaHansen Quote
Gimbal per K3
In response to your request I think it is a software problem between Room and Zhiyun Crane 2, read below.

The problem is that in order to control the focusing system of the lens, the integrated follow focus must interact with the machine, and to date only on Canon (which uses a substantially

open source communication system) is it possible to do so with ease, I hope it will help you.

Link: Zhiyun Crane 2

Last edited by maw; 04-27-2018 at 12:36 PM. Reason: corrected
04-27-2018, 12:53 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
In response to your request I think it is a software problem between Room and Zhiyun Crane 2, read below.

The problem is that in order to control the focusing system of the lens, the integrated follow focus must interact with the machine, and to date only on Canon (which uses a substantially

open source communication system) is it possible to do so with ease, I hope it will help you.

Link: Zhiyun Crane 2
It says that it comes with both Sony and Panasonic cable, but no Pentax. Also, the "follow focus" only works with Canon. (I wrote them, still no answer).
04-27-2018, 02:51 PM   #4
maw
Pentaxian

Hi MariaHansen,

I searched for Zhiyun Camera Stabilizers for Pentax. You should ask before (I always do so, before buying), if the product is perfectly compatible with Pentax as well, I don't know what model you have.

Here the link: Zhiyun Crane 2 Stabilizer Gimbal for All DSLR Cameras

Bye Mario

Last edited by maw; 04-29-2018 at 06:10 PM.
04-27-2018, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the Crane 2 will still work fine as a stabilising gimbal for the K-3, just like it would any camera/lens of the correct weight (maximum 3.2kg for the Crane 2, which should be OK for almost any K-3 + lens combo). It will keep the camera stable, and let you make basic adjustments yourself (point up, point down, rotate left/right etc) using the control buttons on the gimbal.

But some of the advanced bells-and-whistles (like the follow-focus feature) likely won't work because those features seem to be designed for specific Canon, Sony or Panasonic hardware.

Many of the gimbal bells and whistles will also depend on the Zhiyun Apple or Android app (ZyPlay) working OK on your tablet/phone.

For info, the Crane 2 manual is downloadable here:

http://zhiyundata.oss-cn-shenzhen.aliyuncs.com/zyplay/binary/instructions/in...0119164214.pdf
04-28-2018, 07:55 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well, the problem is, that there's not a Crane control cable made for Pentax. I went to a photo store today, and there's only cables for Sony, Canon and Panasonic. Nikon can be bought, but not Pentax.
He tried the Crane V2 on my K3, and I can use the stabilize function, but not the zoom button on the Crane. Maybe I'll buy it anyway, I can't seem to find other Gimbals for Pentax.
05-21-2018, 05:03 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Veteran Member

I'll deny it if anyone ever suggests I posted information on finding bargains for gimbals,....

RC Drones FPV Camera Gimbals | HobbyKing

09-08-2019, 09:15 AM   #8

Just an FYI I believe the Canon cable will fit our pentax gear however the advanced features like follow focus etc still won't work. The shutter and video controls may or may not work you would have to test it. If someone does purchase one please let us all know how it works out.
10-09-2019, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #9
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have this one; Camera Cottage - Equipment. I'm very, very pleased with it. Very sturdy, nice adjustments. Holds my K3 with my 70-200 F2.8, and 300 F4 w/1.5TC with no balance problems at all.
02-23-2022, 02:40 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Albums
Apparently e.g. DJI provides cables USB-to-shutter-jack for Fuji's remote shutter, of the old-school jack type (2.5 I think, not the 3.5 headphone type). It could be that using such a cable you can have some success at least using start and stop functions on a Pentax.