Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
EU recording time penalty coming to an end

The EU Import Duty isn't The Reason The Fujifilm X-H1 is Limited to 30-minutes - Fuji Addict
Sony a7III: Reviews, Recording Limit, EU Import Duty, and Testing - Sony Addict

According to the above links, 2018 is the last year that there will be an EU import duty penalty on devices capable of recording 30+ minutes.
I am very glad to see this gone.... I wonder how fast camera manufacturers will chuck the limits.

Edit: Better information in his followup post (links to the relevant EU announcements):
https://www.fujirumors.com/yes-eu-import-duty-reason-fujifilm-x-h1-limited-3...nge-2018-2019/

Direct EU confirmation here:
Answer to a written question - Customs rules for video cameras - E-001277/2016
and dates here:
Agreement on trade in IT products approved by EU - Consilium

Last edited by Canid; 10-02-2018 at 07:43 PM.
10-02-2018, 10:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Canid Quote
The EU Import Duty isn't The Reason The Fujifilm X-H1 is Limited to 30-minutes - Fuji Addict
Sony a7III: Reviews, Recording Limit, EU Import Duty, and Testing - Sony Addict

According to the above links, 2018 is the last year that there will be an EU import duty penalty on devices capable of recording 30+ minutes.
I am very glad to see this gone.... I wonder how fast camera manufacturers will chuck the limits.
I see a lot of firmware updates in the near future.
10-02-2018, 11:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'll believe this when the EU says so, not when two brand fan sites "think so." There's no accredited confirmation there that the duty will change this year, next year, any year.
10-02-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't read the articles as news so much as wishful thinking.

Steve

10-02-2018, 07:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
He posted another article with links to the relevant EU announcements:
https://www.fujirumors.com/yes-eu-import-duty-reason-fujifilm-x-h1-limited-3...nge-2018-2019/

Direct EU confirmation here:
Answer to a written question - Customs rules for video cameras - E-001277/2016
and dates here:
Agreement on trade in IT products approved by EU - Consilium
10-02-2018, 11:34 PM   #6

Since Canon, Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus makes an sells video camcorders as well I don't imagine they would be in all that much of a rush to change anything.
10-03-2018, 02:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

Thank you, reading these pronouncements reminds me why I don't hanker after a career in law. After much ploughing, the gist appears to be that if the 30-minute limit wasn't lifted by July of this year, then it won't be lifted until July 2019. So the 30-minute limit is still in force. Vidiots must be patient yet. (sorry! couldn't resist )

10-03-2018, 05:05 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by StiffLegged Quote
Vidiots must be patient yet. (sorry! couldn't resist )
I'm still shooting with my nearly 10-year-old K-7... I imagine I have some patience left.
I'm primarily a stills shooter, but video was a selling point when I bought the K-7. I use it at a lot of music events. The time limits mean watching the camera like a hawk to start and stop recordings at just the right moment to catch the whole piece (and often failing). Clip length and overheating is as much of a problem as the recording limits themselves, I have it set to standard def rather than HD to get an extra 2 minutes out of it. I don't think any of the Pentax cameras start new clips at the 4 GB mark like the competition, at least not that I've heard... that would need to change too for usability.
10-18-2018, 07:24 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Massively outdated definition now. Had a similar conversation with someone the other day, in that at one stage you genuinely did need different devices for quality video and stills creation, but nowadays that's no longer the case.

(Well unless you're looking to do that with your Pentax gear, as video still hasn't really been addressed in the last 5 years or so, whereas now every other manufacturer has upped their game with higher bitrates etc, and now many offer mechanical sensor stabilisation also.)
11-13-2018, 08:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Since Canon, Sony, Panasonic, and Olympus makes an sells video camcorders as well I don't imagine they would be in all that much of a rush to change anything.
Yes. However, smartphone manufacturers who are not in that business might. At that point, the camera mafucturers would look pretty silly.

I'll believe it when I see it, though.

---------- Post added 11-13-18 at 07:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I see a lot of firmware updates in the near future.
Not before :
a) some lawyers get paid to figure out if the new rule can be retroactively applied to existing devices that were imported, but for which no duties was paid at the time the rules were in force.
and
b) an incentive develops for manufacturers to issue such firmware updates. It will only cost them money to remove the limit, including lost new sales, if new devices no longer have the limit
11-13-2018, 11:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Part of the offering from the likes of Fuji is you will be looked after down the track. They release their firmware (sometimes major) updates for older devices regularly and as a customer you’d really feel valued.