Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 79 Likes Search this Thread
10-13-2019, 01:59 PM - 2 Likes   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by microlight Quote
better at data rate and perceived softness
The image is noticeably softer than stills or other brands. That's something that really does need adjusting.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I'm more interested in really good focus assist features while MFing.
Fully agree on this. Annoys me massively that digital zoom and focus peaking stop when I press record.
I'm always worried that the sales tick box features will get the attention first, and rather than 4k I'd prefer the video tools were improved a bit first, such as the above during video recording, and a higher bit rate and SR that worked and an image that didn't crop when you turned off SR etc etc.

I'd love a half way house, where I touch on the screen where I want the focus to move to, and the camera does that pull for me. Couple that with control over how fast that action took and it could all look quite natural.
From memory Sony offer the AF speed adjust way back on the A6000, and when done right it looks really good, but tends to require you to point the camera at the object, so must be in the centre of the frame.

Bottom line is the video offering is well over due for a tune up. The KP did increase the data rate, but overall it's the same package from 2012 and we're moving into 2020 soon.

10-14-2019, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #62
Veteran Member

Have you guys had a look at the Sigma fp?
Not yet, but I want to, it's pretty interesting little camera.

What I'd love to see would be having a M.2 slot for memory. A 1 TB drive with wear leveling capable of 3 GB/s writes can be had for about 140 Euro. Try to beat that with a SD card... Though having USB-C for external drives isn't too bad either, but... where to put the external drive? What if I want to charge and use the drive?
There's USBc connected caddy's for NVMe drives now, aimed at the BMD Pocket 4K and 6K.
I think recording to external media via USBc/Thunderbolt is a good idea, especially as the data rates supported will allow exceptionally high quality imagery.

Spitballin' Ideas,... Say that new prototype APSc Pentax body has USBc, and say Pentax allowed it to record 4K to the external media, the easy place to mount the caddy, would be velcro'ed to the back on an LED light on the hotshoe.
10-22-2019, 09:29 AM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
Not yet, but I want to, it's pretty interesting little camera.

There's USBc connected caddy's for NVMe drives now, aimed at the BMD Pocket 4K and 6K.
I think recording to external media via USBc/Thunderbolt is a good idea, especially as the data rates supported will allow exceptionally high quality imagery.

Spitballin' Ideas,... Say that new prototype APSc Pentax body has USBc, and say Pentax allowed it to record 4K to the external media, the easy place to mount the caddy, would be velcro'ed to the back on an LED light on the hotshoe.
USB-C is fine, but having a M.2 slot inside the camera would be even better. The storage is better protected (weather sealed even!), you don't have to deal with externally attaching storage, ... I feel this is the way to go forward for high-end cameras.

Don't expect anything from Pentax at this point.
10-30-2019, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #64
Veteran Member

M.2 inside,... M.2's not designed to be removable media, but it does use the PCIe bus connection, so I'd expect if going to PCIe, Pentax would be smarter to follow the Mirrorless example, and go to XQD or CFExpress.

M.2 also has issues with getting the media - the 80mm deep cards are everywhere, by the 42mm ones that would be space efficient choice for inside a camera body, are difficult to find at retailers - the 80mm units are dominating through volume of sales for PC use driving down prices.

The 80mm ones would be ideal in rugged housings for Cine cameras - like inside AJA's PakMedia or Red's MiniMag, just not for DSLR/MILC bodies,.. in the same way having them inside a USB-c connected drive caddy will protect them.

BTW - as for where/how to mount them,..
https://www.smallrig.com/smallrig-universal-holder-for-external-ssd-bsh2343.html

11-02-2019, 11:49 AM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
M.2 inside,... M.2's not designed to be removable media, but it does use the PCIe bus connection, so I'd expect if going to PCIe, Pentax would be smarter to follow the Mirrorless example, and go to XQD or CFExpress.

M.2 also has issues with getting the media - the 80mm deep cards are everywhere, by the 42mm ones that would be space efficient choice for inside a camera body, are difficult to find at retailers - the 80mm units are dominating through volume of sales for PC use driving down prices.

The 80mm ones would be ideal in rugged housings for Cine cameras - like inside AJA's PakMedia or Red's MiniMag, just not for DSLR/MILC bodies,.. in the same way having them inside a USB-c connected drive caddy will protect them.

BTW - as for where/how to mount them,..
SmallRig Universal Holder for External SSD BSH2343 - SmallRig
True. But it's cheap, it's fast and it is reliable. XQD or CFExpress... a Sony G-series card that does 400 MB/s costs as much as a M.2 that does 3.000 MB/s... just that the XQD contains 64 GB and the M.2 contains 1 TB. CFExpress is even more expensive and still only half the speed of a fast (yet cheap) M.2. Yes, it would have to be compatible with 80mm cards, and yes, that would take up some space inside the camera. But compared to using external drives I'd say it's worth it.

Also I'd argue that for many, especially photographers, having a large M.2 2280 inside your camera means there is no need to swap the memory anyway. And you could still offer an SD slot for emergencies.
11-03-2019, 07:51 PM - 1 Like   #66
Veteran Member

It's a return to internal storage,.. The limit there becomes transfering the media off the device, and the number of write cycles before the memory cells erode.

I just don't think it'll ever happen in any device aimed at Consumers or Prosumers. Maybe in something like a 645Z replacement, or, maybe have the M.2 drive slot in a battery grip, in the same way Panasonic added SDI output to the GH4.

More I think about it, SD or XQD/CFExpress in the body and M.2 in a Battery Grip would be pretty awesome, especially if you can unscrew the grip and use USBc / Thunderbolt to connect it to a PC.

Thing is, for Video, it'd be ideal, but then all the 'Stills Only' mob will whine about it existing, then claim it's 'only meant for stills use' when the finally adapt to Live View after Pentax gets to 30fps Electronic Shutter stills,.......
11-04-2019, 01:55 PM - 2 Likes   #67
Veteran Member

Unless shooting raw video, there's little point in such high data transfer rates. For stills though I can see it happen, because... imagine bursting 40 MP continuously forever. Or doing 30 fps raw bursts *cough* That'd be pretty sweet.

Write cycles aren't an issue with M.2-SSDs... the 850 EVO is rated at 3000 cycles for example. Filling up 1 TB 3000 times... that takes some effort. And if it's really done with, replace it. Basically, it's internal storage, but replaceable.

Getting the data off the camera... WiFi and USB-C (mostly the latter).

11-06-2019, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #68
Veteran Member

Unless shooting raw video, there's little point in such high data transfer rates.
Most of the decent intermediate CoDec's for video - DNxHD, GV HQX and ProRes, depending on compression profile, they can all exceed the data rate for Raw Stills for any current maximum burst rates, from any APSc or FF camera.
Some of the medium format bodies can still out perform them, 50 and 100 megapixel sensors will do that

The 12 bit Raw from my Cion, at DCI 4K and 24fps, will fill a Gigabyte in just under 5 minutes.