Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-29-2020, 06:45 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Recommended audio editing software for videos

Hello! I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but what are you using to improve, delete or replace the audio tracks to videos?

03-29-2020, 06:54 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've been working with Audacity on and off for about 6 months now. It's a free program for both PC and Mac. ( Audacity ® | Free, open source, cross-platform audio software for multi-track recording and editing. )

Working with audio files is entirely new to me so I can't say if there is anything easier to use out there but it seems pretty straight forward and I like the results so far. I'd say it was similar to learning Lightroom in that it has a lot of features and the more you use it the more you get out of it.

Once the editing is complete I have used an older version of Adobe Premier (non-cloud) to paste the audio back into the file.
03-29-2020, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Audio tracks can be very different - out of your camera in stereo or mono or you can create your own music with different instruments and recorded nature sounds. So that‘s a petty wide field. What are your expectations and concrete scenarios / use cases?

To record my music (vocals & guitars) I use the professional software Cubase Pro (steinberg software). It is a DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) software that supports a video track besides audio and midi tracks and brings a lot of tools to optimize your recording. Availlable for Windows and MacOS. There are also entry level versions. I even could create dolby surround sound and replace the original sound track of a video.

If you‘re using a MacOS system to some degree you also could use GarageBand - without any additional costs. It also supports a movie track and the option to exchange the soundtrack within the movie/video.

Last edited by acoufap; 03-29-2020 at 07:21 AM.
03-29-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
Audio tracks can be very different - out of your camera in stereo or mono or you can create your own music with different instruments and recorded nature sounds. So that‘s a petty wide field. What are your expectations and concrete scenarios / use cases?
QuoteOriginally posted by OldPentaxFan Quote
I've been working with Audacity on and off for about 6 months now
Thanks for the responses. I have worked with audio software to a limited extent from visiting recording studios or from working as a radio operator. I really don't know the default parameters of these devices, but the decibel thresholds are pretty low and there seems to be no top decibel limiters, so you get the pops and rushes of loud noises and constants wind, etc. I[ll try Garageband, I think I have Audacity, or Soundforge on a backup drive

To be more clear, what I'd like to do it pull in the entirety of video file and either lower the volume, or failing that, mute it entirely using one program, rather than have to separate the audio files and resync to the video.

Specific use cases are some videos I've shot on windy days or during helicopter rides, either using a DSLR or my smartphone. The imagery is good enough for memories if nothing else, but the volume of ambient noise makes it unpleasant to hear.

03-29-2020, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Thanks for the responses. I have worked with audio software to a limited extent from visiting recording studios or from working as a radio operator. I really don't know the default parameters of these devices, but the decibel thresholds are pretty low and there seems to be no top decibel limiters, so you get the pops and rushes of loud noises and constants wind, etc. I[ll try Garageband, I think I have Audacity, or Soundforge on a backup drive

To be more clear, what I'd like to do it pull in the entirety of video file and either lower the volume, or failing that, mute it entirely using one program, rather than have to separate the audio files and resync to the video.

Specific use cases are some videos I've shot on windy days or during helicopter rides, either using a DSLR or my smartphone. The imagery is good enough for memories if nothing else, but the volume of ambient noise makes it unpleasant to hear.
If interested ... Cubase Elements 10.5 also offers the ability to exchange the soundtrack of a video and offers a basic set to edit sound using compressor, limiter, filters, EQ etc. - much cheaper than the pro version. If interested have a look at steinberg.net.
03-29-2020, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I have used Audacity in past, for editing audio. It worked very well. Not sure how well it works with video, though.
03-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
If interested ... Cubase Elements 10.5 also offers the ability to exchange the soundtrack of a video and offers a basic set to edit sound using compressor, limiter, filters, EQ etc. - much cheaper than the pro version. If interested have a look at steinberg.net.
Thanks very much, I will give that a try

03-29-2020, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think iMovie (it's free) on a Mac should also do the trick. You should be able to split the audio from the video and it should be possible to import other audio separately if you wish too. Audacity is a very capable program if you want to improve the sound quality.
03-30-2020, 04:39 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I think iMovie (it's free) on a Mac should also do the trick. You should be able to split the audio from the video and it should be possible to import other audio separately if you wish too. Audacity is a very capable program if you want to improve the sound quality.
Had a look at iMovie (on MacOS Mojave).

Yes it supports splitting the audio from a video and also supports some basic movie color (including WB) and audio editing. You can delete the split audio track and put another one at the position. I guess that precise positioning is not really possible. But all in all seams to be better than it once was. Export is limited to the given formats.

To create slide shows that also can contain movie parts, I use FotoMagico Pro. A really nice software. Export up to 4K and no restrictions concerning output format. Downside: no capabilities to edit audio or video using filters, compressors, gate, limiter etc. - only volume, fade in, fade out, ducking for use with another audio track etc. and you can correct color using a color sphere point and contrast.

I guess the best software would be Final Cut Pro. It should deliver the best tools for audio and video editing in one place. ;-)

Last edited by acoufap; 03-30-2020 at 04:52 AM.
03-30-2020, 10:38 PM - 1 Like   #10

If all you are doing is adjusting the existing track then all you need in a demux/remux program which will separate and recombine the video and audio tracks. These might be two separate programs or one that does both. Use your favorite search engine on "demux mac" and "remux mac".

I use the Windows version of Avidemux and Audacity to modify the audio (filtering, de-clicking, equalization etc.).

You can edit the video first then demux it, modify the audio and remux it if you don't have a video editor that allows you to mix and edit separate audio.

Last edited by Not a Number; 03-31-2020 at 09:48 AM.
03-31-2020, 03:30 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Had a look at iMovie (on MacOS Mojave).

Yes it supports splitting the audio from a video and also supports some basic movie color (including WB) and audio editing. You can delete the split audio track and put another one at the position. I guess that precise positioning is not really possible. But all in all seams to be better than it once was. Export is limited to the given formats.

To create slide shows that also can contain movie parts, I use FotoMagico Pro. A really nice software. Export up to 4K and no restrictions concerning output format. Downside: no capabilities to edit audio or video using filters, compressors, gate, limiter etc. - only volume, fade in, fade out, ducking for use with another audio track etc. and you can correct color using a color sphere point and contrast.

I guess the best software would be Final Cut Pro. It should deliver the best tools for audio and video editing in one place. ;-)
I have deleted iMovie from my Mac and have been using Final Cut Pro. But I do have a difficult time using the audio tools provided. Mainly because I haven't been educated on them. Slowly that has been improving just by a process of trial and error.

My main video editor is Avid that has been provided by my employer. But that is a very costly option.
03-31-2020, 08:25 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Fries Quote
I have deleted iMovie from my Mac and have been using Final Cut Pro. But I do have a difficult time using the audio tools provided. Mainly because I haven't been educated on them. Slowly that has been improving just by a process of trial and error.

My main video editor is Avid that has been provided by my employer. But that is a very costly option.
I don't know Final Cut Pro but expect it uses some pro audio tools that may similarly supported by Apples DAW solution Logic Pro X.

Assumed you are a novice In audio recording, you'll have a hard time with such tools. You simply have to know what for are gates, compressors, filters, equalizers etc. and how they work. For different scenarios you need different settings ... There are tools mainly for mixing and some for mastering - to know about this is important to create great sounding records. A lot of years ago I bought books about both topics and worked through them - it was an "eye and ear opener". Like in photography it's important to practice, experiment and develop an overall understanding.
03-31-2020, 11:36 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't know Final Cut Pro but expect it uses some pro audio tools that may similarly supported by Apples DAW solution Logic Pro X.

Assumed you are a novice In audio recording, you'll have a hard time with such tools. You simply have to know what for are gates, compressors, filters, equalizers etc. and how they work. For different scenarios you need different settings ... There are tools mainly for mixing and some for mastering - to know about this is important to create great sounding records. A lot of years ago I bought books about both topics and worked through them - it was an "eye and ear opener". Like in photography it's important to practice, experiment and develop an overall understanding.
You are right! I am lucky enough I don't have to start totally from zero. I have seen a lot of talented video editors working on my material and have worked exclusively as a radiojournalist for years. But to even come close to the level of expertise that the real professionals have is a tall order!
03-31-2020, 05:24 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
For short videos, one can use the limited video tools built into Photoshop and the sound tools of a program like Audacity. I own CS6 Extended.

I shot a video with my K-1 with an incorrect white balance setting. I extracted the audio using Audacity. I extracted all the frames from the video, batch processed them with camera raw, imported the frames and audio back into Photoshop, and rendered the video. The process was slow, but worked. Later I found that I do not need to extract the audio with Audacity, that I can tell Photoshop to get the audio from the original file.

I use Photoshop to speed up the action sometimes. I recorded a monarch caterpillar eating a leaf, about 15 minutes. That's like watching paint dry. I exported the frames, lightened things up since it was dusk, imported them back into Photoshop, and rendered the video at 60 frames per second using half the original audio track.

My experience is limited when it comes to editing audio and video. Photoshop is probably the "long way home." But it is what I have, and I process things at night or when at work.

I appreciate the comments above. It is helpful to know what others find helpful. Thanks much!
04-03-2020, 02:17 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by robgski Quote
Hello! I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but what are you using to improve, delete or replace the audio tracks to videos?
I hardly ever shoot video with my K-70, but what audio work I've done is with Adobe Audition - it can handle the audio tracks from a few video formats. I have been working with studio audio for 50+ years (I am a semi-retired broadcasting chief engineer) and have been using Adobe Audition for more than two decades in radio stations (it was Syntrillium Cool Edit Pro when I stared using it, and when Adobe bought the program from Syntrillium it was retitled Audition). I stick with it because 1) I own it, and 2) it is the audio workstation program that I have used the most. I have very little experience with Audacity, but it is widely used in radio production rooms and is highly respected.