Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2020, 11:32 AM - 3 Likes   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
I'm also watching this development closely. Good video (and that touch screen, very helpful in video) in my Pentax gear is the missing link. If this has been implemented properly, then this could serve me in my job.
I hope there's an option to disable the touch screen too - In live view, it can be great for point and drag to control focus, but in OVF mode, focus by nose will be a pain in the a,...

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
And what form of image stabilization be used? I missed it in the specs or it's not there.
Probably still the MovieSR, so we'll all turn that off.

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
But .... Pentax don't have video as a priority.
4K is probably the minimum they can get away with.
Good AF during video and mechanical stabilisation may well be possible with the technology under the covers but I see nothing in the specs.
I wish and hope that I'm wrong ... time will tell
The AF is already Good Enough, if there's enough light, has been for ages. No doubt it'll need to be back-button-AF during shooting, which newer lenses should do smoothly, but the screw drive won't, or at least, will do AF, just noisily enough to be heard on an external audio recorder.

True mechanical IBIS, in truth, they could have done it with a Firmware update years ago, all they need to do is to hook in the video side of things to the same subroutines that are already there and in use for Stills use. Anyone can check in their camera, to switch the IBIS for stills to 'always on' instead of 'only on when shutter pressed', then go to Live View for Stills, bingo, IBIS visible on the LCD,.. which is displaying video,...

Any reason Pentax give for not activating it, is B.S.

QuoteOriginally posted by Enrique S Toso Quote
Why?? Why not h.265 10bit?? Why not to make a gamma curve like everybody else?? they are 4 years late and not giving even a solid gamma curve, just a ¨flat¨ profile.

Im out...ill keep my K3 for timelapses, but Im selling the rest of the gear and getting a Xt4.
Arrrrr, what? The "Muted" profile is pretty close to Log anyway, and the way Pentax have always ignored the IRE limits, means you always have more stops worth of information to play with then is displayed on the LCD or when first opening a video file.

IIRC from my own tests, instead of clipping at 0 and 100 IRE, Pentax encodes from -15 IRE to +125 IRE

If Pentax had given us 4K 2 or 3 years ago, with the 13 stops or more of dynamic range available across the model range, and clean-feed HDMI, there would already be a slew of Short Films, Music Video, Adverts, Fashion Pieces and probably even Feature Films shot on them.

We'll leave the whole Log vs Linear debate for another time

Last edited by PiDicus Rex; 10-29-2020 at 11:48 AM.
10-29-2020, 05:52 PM - 3 Likes   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
I hope there's an option to disable the touch screen too - In live view, it can be great for point and drag to control focus, but in OVF mode, focus by nose will be a pain in the a,...

Probably still the MovieSR, so we'll all turn that off.

The AF is already Good Enough, if there's enough light, has been for ages. No doubt it'll need to be back-button-AF during shooting, which newer lenses should do smoothly, but the screw drive won't, or at least, will do AF, just noisily enough to be heard on an external audio recorder.

True mechanical IBIS, in truth, they could have done it with a Firmware update years ago, all they need to do is to hook in the video side of things to the same subroutines that are already there and in use for Stills use. Anyone can check in their camera, to switch the IBIS for stills to 'always on' instead of 'only on when shutter pressed', then go to Live View for Stills, bingo, IBIS visible on the LCD,.. which is displaying video,...

Any reason Pentax give for not activating it, is B.S.

Arrrrr, what? The "Muted" profile is pretty close to Log anyway, and the way Pentax have always ignored the IRE limits, means you always have more stops worth of information to play with then is displayed on the LCD or when first opening a video file.

IIRC from my own tests, instead of clipping at 0 and 100 IRE, Pentax encodes from -15 IRE to +125 IRE

If Pentax had given us 4K 2 or 3 years ago, with the 13 stops or more of dynamic range available across the model range, and clean-feed HDMI, there would already be a slew of Short Films, Music Video, Adverts, Fashion Pieces and probably even Feature Films shot on them.

We'll leave the whole Log vs Linear debate for another time
Feisty and informative, I always love your input, PDR.

People ought to know this is a bloke who sneaks Pentax stuff (lenses mainly) into commercial and creative work. A brave guy rolling against the punches, and I'm glad the chipset for the K-3 III got upgraded so that Fuji style 4k video is within reach.
10-29-2020, 10:44 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Feisty and informative, I always love your input, PDR.

People ought to know this is a bloke who sneaks Pentax stuff (lenses mainly) into commercial and creative work. A brave guy rolling against the punches, and I'm glad the chipset for the K-3 III got upgraded so that Fuji style 4k video is within reach.
Pentax glass deserves to do video. Many have smooth dampened focus throws, high contrast coatings, are easily declicked, and have next to no focus breathing. It's honestly a shame that Pentax hasn't released a very capable video body, because the high ISO, high DR, IBIS, WR performance of the digital bodies all translate well into video work.

I'm actually thinking of buying the "I'm Back" digitizing back to shoot video from my MZ-3 or MX body because I love the rendering of the 43 Ltd so much.
10-29-2020, 11:06 PM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by someasiancameraguy Quote
Pentax glass deserves to do video. Many have smooth dampened focus throws, high contrast coatings, are easily declicked, and have next to no focus breathing. It's honestly a shame that Pentax hasn't released a very capable video body, because the high ISO, high DR, IBIS, WR performance of the digital bodies all translate well into video work.

I'm actually thinking of buying the "I'm Back" digitizing back to shoot video from my MZ-3 or MX body because I love the rendering of the 43 Ltd so much.
Yeah, I think it's entering a crowded market. Not even talking about Red or Arri, it's just that Sony and Canon already do so much in that consumer space, and pour research dollars into it that Pentax can never go to Rioch with a serious ROI argument.

But this 4k 30fps thing is a start. Maybe mechanical IBIS in video will make a comeback, this is a fresh design.

11-01-2020, 12:46 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As I remember they stated that they did run to unexpected problems with mechanical SR before. It could be b.s.

But I’d like to think that it could be true and they did actually find out how to fix it. I. Really hope so. 4K even if it is 30 p would be good enough and who knows if there is demand even more, they’ll upgrade it in future(like they did with that incredible 12 FPS mechanical shutter) OoKU did report about increased focus speed and accuracy in LV too. A lot of tings has been developed. We will see in couple months. Good times ahead!
11-01-2020, 05:07 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I was just reading up on some of the newer Pentax lenses and found this little bit of info snuck into the PR release for the DFA 85mm:

"Electromagnetic diaphragm-control mechanism for flawless, high-precision exposure control during video recording"

I'm assuming that this means the lens is capable of stepless aperture control. Would this be another hint that Pentax does plan to improve video functionality?
11-01-2020, 03:50 PM   #22
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

I was just reading up on some of the newer Pentax lenses and found this little bit of info snuck into the PR release for the DFA 85mm:

"Electromagnetic diaphragm-control mechanism for flawless, high-precision exposure control during video recording"

I'm assuming that this means the lens is capable of stepless aperture control. Would this be another hint that Pentax does plan to improve video functionality?
FWIW, that type of lens is called 'KAF4', and the existing ones are that 85mm, the DFA*50, DFA 70-210 and DA55-300 PLM.

11-02-2020, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
FWIW, that type of lens is called 'KAF4', and the existing ones are that 85mm, the DFA*50, DFA 70-210 and DA55-300 PLM.
They are also working on DA*16-50 (and possibly 50-135) PLM, so that is 2 more of those. I have a feeling that there will be more
11-02-2020, 10:31 PM - 1 Like   #24
Pentaxian

at 20 kb/s.
11-03-2020, 03:36 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
at 20 kb/s.
Where did you find that from?

I suppose that they still use memory card slot 1 for movie as auto, and that should be UHS-II slot. And that could be 100 mb/s or even more?

Last edited by repaap; 11-03-2020 at 02:20 PM.
11-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
at 20 kb/s.
I know you're being satirical, but even quick napkin math will show you're off by magnitudes.
A quick look at the spec sheet so far shows two key numbers: 25 minutes / 4 GB limit.
The quicker the video hits 4GB, the higher the bitrate, hence we use 25 minutes as the baseline to calculate the lowest theoretical bitrate:

25 minutes = 1500 seconds
4 Gigabytes = 4086 Megabytes = 32688 Megabits (assuming Pentax uses lower quality 8 bit output)

The lowest theoretical figure would then be 32688 Megabits / 1500 Seconds = 21.792 Megabits/second. This is in comparison with the Fuji XT-4 which uses the same base sensor and can output up to 400mbps.

Mind you this is all preliminary and the final spec has not been released. It's very likely that the 25 minute limit is arbitrarily added to avoid the EU regulation similar to the practice of other camera manufacturers, and that the 4GB file limit is a consequence of FAT 32 file size limitations and that multiple seamless - higher bitrate - video clips can be stitched together in post.
11-03-2020, 02:52 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I strongly suspect the inclusion of 4k will very much prove to be 'damned if you do' for Pentax. Ultimately, despite all the very vocals demands for video performance
the video specs on the Knew will still be viewed as 'not enough'.

I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.
11-03-2020, 03:16 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I strongly suspect the inclusion of 4k will very much prove to be 'damned if you do' for Pentax. Ultimately, despite all the very vocals demands for video performance
the video specs on the Knew will still be viewed as 'not enough'.

I'll be very happy to be proven wrong.
How many people actually shoot a lot of video on their MILC/SLR cameras? I think it is less than the video Forumites would think.

I'm glad Pentax included this as a feature and my guess is that if you are someone who uses a lot of video, you will figure out how to make it work, even if it isn't as smooth as with some other cameras on the market.
11-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #29
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe 10 bit

I know you're being satirical, but even quick napkin math will show you're off by magnitudes.
A quick look at the spec sheet so far shows two key numbers: 25 minutes / 4 GB limit.
The quicker the video hits 4GB, the higher the bitrate, hence we use 25 minutes as the baseline to calculate the lowest theoretical bitrate:

25 minutes = 1500 seconds
4 Gigabytes = 4086 Megabytes = 32688 Megabits (assuming Pentax uses lower quality 8 bit output)

The lowest theoretical figure would then be 32688 Megabits / 1500 Seconds = 21.792 Megabits/second. This is in comparison with the Fuji XT-4 which uses the same base sensor and can output up to 400mbps.

Mind you this is all preliminary and the final spec has not been released. It's very likely that the 25 minute limit is arbitrarily added to avoid the EU regulation similar to the practice of other camera manufacturers, and that the 4GB file limit is a consequence of FAT 32 file size limitations and that multiple seamless - higher bitrate - video clips can be stitched together in post.
I thought I saw 10 bit,but I had a look and Ricoh website doesn't list a figure
11-03-2020, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
How many people actually shoot a lot of video on their MILC/SLR cameras? I think it is less than the video Forumites would think.

I'm glad Pentax included this as a feature and my guess is that if you are someone who uses a lot of video, you will figure out how to make it work, even if it isn't as smooth as with some other cameras on the market.
I do shoot video on my camera. I think it's a really nice feature to have when you need it. And I don't think a camera has to be on the level of the GH5 to be a good video camera. It should have some basics: focus peaking while shooting, good compression data rates for clear, crisp video, and good stabilization for quick run and gun shooting. If it has that, you can actually do a whole lot with a camera.

I don't really know how popular it is, but what I have seen these days especially with COVID is tons of people are starting up VLOGs and making videos, so I suspect it will just increase over time.

I do think this is one area where MILCs are vastly superior, if only because you can shoot through the viewfinder. Shooting only with the back screen is quite difficult for some applications. So in this case, if you shoot video and want to make your life easier no matter what camera you have, I would suggest getting a mirrorless.