Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
10-28-2020, 07:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Short videos when shooting sports

A couple days ago I was writing a post about the K-3iii, the frame rate, and how 12 fps would probably make my time-lapse shots of things like free kicks in soccer look better. And it occurred to me that I could have been shooting video of this the whole time. Instead of an eight or 10 frame timelapse (attached - but it doesn't look like animated GIFs animate in the forum?) I could have a full-on HD video of the kick.

Then I realized that I have no idea how to set up the camera to do that, other than switch the switch from stills to video and fire away. I have a sports user preset that defaults to TAv, 1/1250th shutter, f/7.1, auto ISO. Will that work for video?

Attached Images

10-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #2
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
as far as I know, to have the best looking footage, you want your shutter speed to be exactly twice and reciprocal of your desired frame rate:

If your product frame rate is 30 fps, then shoot at 1/60 second.
If your product frame rate is 60 fps, then shoot at 1/120 second.

This can be hard to do in strong light, and that is why many dedicated video cameras have built-in ND filters...

I have no real clue what I'm talking about - I do not shoot video :P
11-01-2020, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
as far as I know, to have the best looking footage, you want your shutter speed to be exactly twice and reciprocal of your desired frame rate:

If your product frame rate is 30 fps, then shoot at 1/60 second.
If your product frame rate is 60 fps, then shoot at 1/120 second.

This can be hard to do in strong light, and that is why many dedicated video cameras have built-in ND filters...

I have no real clue what I'm talking about - I do not shoot video :P
That is basically right. If you shoot at higher shutter speeds then your video may start to look choppy. However, if you are planning on using stills from a video, it is actually better to shoot at higher shutter speeds. Remember, the OP wants to extract stills from video, which is easier to do at higher shutter speeds. Of course, the actually video itself won't look very good.

However, my ultimate recommendation to the OP is be very cautious. A series of still bursts at 12FPS will be WAY higher quality than a series of still 4k extraction for many reasons, especially with Pentax video, which is typically a little mushy. Even if it weren't, the still output is much higher resolution. In addition, for soccer, you will be able to focus FAR more easily through the viewfinder. With the exception of Canon's dual pixel, DSLRs are not great for video AF in action. It's also even hard to see if the focus locked in video because of a lack of zebras.

In short, stick to bursts unless you actually want to make a video.
11-01-2020, 08:25 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

It'll be terrible, Thor!

The shutter speed will probably be 1/60s, so there will be blur from all the participants and the ball.

Using a still from the HD video results in a 2Mp JPG, too. Awful.

Even 4k is 8Mp instead of the 24 MP you paid for.

11-02-2020, 05:09 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by automorphism Quote
That is basically right. If you shoot at higher shutter speeds then your video may start to look choppy. However, if you are planning on using stills from a video, it is actually better to shoot at higher shutter speeds. Remember, the OP wants to extract stills from video, which is easier to do at higher shutter speeds. Of course, the actually video itself won't look very good.

However, my ultimate recommendation to the OP is be very cautious. A series of still bursts at 12FPS will be WAY higher quality than a series of still 4k extraction for many reasons, especially with Pentax video, which is typically a little mushy. Even if it weren't, the still output is much higher resolution. In addition, for soccer, you will be able to focus FAR more easily through the viewfinder. With the exception of Canon's dual pixel, DSLRs are not great for video AF in action. It's also even hard to see if the focus locked in video because of a lack of zebras.

In short, stick to bursts unless you actually want to make a video.
I don't necessarily want to extract stills from the video. I really just wanted to play around with making a video in place of a time lapse of a few moments in the game, such as a spot kick. That would give me the opportunity to quickly switch settings to video and capture 10-15 seconds, then go back to shooting stills.

Maybe I'll set a user setting for 1/60th and other video-centric stuff, and give it a try next weekend.