Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-01-2021, 08:35 AM - 4 Likes   #31
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The k-01 was the most requested Pentax by their viewers for this.
It's a toxic question to ask - and I bet he knows that. He asked it cause it would produce click-bait.
If he was honestly wanting to produce educational content, he could have picked up an older camera that was actually attempting to be a video camera.
He could have conveyed the information as "look how far we've come in technology" or "shooting older tech for a week taught me so much about newer tech".
Instead, the content he produced was "lol look at crappy pentax"

04-01-2021, 08:53 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by FozzFoster Quote
It's a toxic question to ask - and I bet he knows that. He asked it cause it would produce click-bait.
If he was honestly wanting to produce educational content, he could have picked up an older camera that was actually attempting to be a video camera.
He could have conveyed the information as "look how far we've come in technology" or "shooting older tech for a week taught me so much about newer tech".
Instead, the content he produced was "lol look at crappy pentax"
Actually the OP didn't ask any questions or make a derogatory statement toward Pentax. They only posted a link, and that link had interesting content although it was controversial and dated (and used the word "crappy"). Still could be "click-bait", but provides some K-01 history.
04-01-2021, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #33
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Actually the OP didn't ask any questions. They only posted a link, and that link had interesting content although it was controversial and dated. Still could be "click-bait", but provides some K-01 history.
Sorry for the confusion: I wasn't referring to OP. I was referring to the toxic question DPReview asked to their followers of 'which camera they should bash'.
04-01-2021, 09:03 AM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sorry for the confusion: I wasn't referring to OP. I was referring to the toxic question DPReview asked to their followers of 'which camera they should bash'.
In that case, totally agreed that DP Review often stretches for the click-bait. Sorry for my confusion.

04-01-2021, 10:17 AM - 3 Likes   #35
Pentaxian

Clickbait at DPR - or worse

Looks to me like the release of Jordan's summary of how the K-01 video experience "made him a better videographer" was deliberately timed to coincide with the release of K-3III -- a way to bash Pentax as "crappy" when the publicity on K-3III peaks, but before they can mount a "proper" review of it. "How this made me better" was a pretext for "a slam/any slam." I hate to see them so intent on the clickbait of running Pentax jokes.
04-01-2021, 11:19 AM   #36
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
Looks to me like the release of Jordan's summary of how the K-01 video experience "made him a better videographer" was deliberately timed to coincide with the release of K-3III -- a way to bash Pentax as "crappy" when the publicity on K-3III peaks, but before they can mount a "proper" review of it. "How this made me better" was a pretext for "a slam/any slam." I hate to see them so intent on the clickbait of running Pentax jokes.
You can ask him directly. He has an account here and is an active participant in the other thread on this topic:

JordonDucks CroPPY video about Pentax video. - PentaxForums.com

Steve
04-01-2021, 12:01 PM - 1 Like   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by swanlefitte Quote
An old thread on manual lenses for video with the k01.
Pentax K-01 : Problem in video mode with manual lenses - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
Good sleuthing!

It is almost painful to read that thread because it appeared that folk were sort of thrashing around in the dark and perhaps not understanding how the rear monitor works. One thing I noticed is that nobody was saying that their K/M-series lenses were not stopped down during recording and several confirmed that their display darkened/lightened with changes using the ring. K-01 early adopter @monochrome suggested using video M mode with fixed ISO when using K/M-series lenses (my suggestion above). There was also a second case involving M-42 lenses where the suggested fix was shorting the aperture actuator pin to one of the KAF2 power contacts in the mirror box . Toward the end of the thread, it was suggested that firmware v1.04 solved all.

Steve

04-01-2021, 12:21 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even if @TCSJordan reviewed the K-3 III, I would have a hard time taking what he says seriously, because he doesn't take Pentax seriously.
He has actually said, over on one of the DPR threads, that he likes Pentax cameras, just not for video - and there's probably not many people here who would disagree with that
04-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Good sleuthing!

It is almost painful to read that thread because it appeared that folk were sort of thrashing around in the dark and perhaps not understanding how the rear monitor works. One thing I noticed is that nobody was saying that their K/M-series lenses were not stopped down during recording and several confirmed that their display darkened/lightened with changes using the ring. K-01 early adopter @monochrome suggested using video M mode with fixed ISO when using K/M-series lenses (my suggestion above). There was also a second case involving M-42 lenses where the suggested fix was shorting the aperture actuator pin to one of the KAF2 power contacts in the mirror box . Toward the end of the thread, it was suggested that firmware v1.04 solved all.

Steve
Good summary.

The point of using a "crappy" video doesn't work as well in capable hands. Otherwise you would think a member would use this forum as a resource to get help overcoming the "crappiness". It is better to conflate user ignorance with crappy video when your goal is crappy video. My video will show how terrible computer code is by showing I can't program in a language I don't know.
04-01-2021, 12:31 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I must admit that, having no expectations of the video in the K-01 other than an assumption that it was terrible, I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't actually terrible - whether that's a tribute to Jordan or just my ignorance, I don't know
04-01-2021, 03:26 PM - 1 Like   #41
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Marktax Quote
I had the K-01 video edited and scheduled before I knew the K3 III announcement date. It's just a happy coincidence that there was so much Pentax content on DPR that day.

As mentioned elsewhere, the idea was for the viewers to pick a camera that would be a challenge for me to get good video with. Viewers chose Pentax, with the K-01 being the most mentioned single model. We had no intention of 'trolling' a particular brand. However, the K-01 was an incredibly difficult camera to work with, so if the intention was to struggle with a bad tool for the job, the K-01 was a great choice.
04-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I still have a Canon xl1s and even at 720x576 PAL, I don't think I could ever shoot video with a stills camera and not hate it. I would most likely use that and use AI to upsize first. I can't imagine a Canon R5 or a Fuji X-T4 being anything but less crappy than a K01. I would think compared to a Sony FDR-AX43 or a Canon Vixia HFG60 to a stills camera for video would be like comparing the best slingshot to launch a satelite. I would think anyone serious about video would laugh at the entire discussion. If you use a stills for video you don't care that much.
04-01-2021, 05:02 PM   #43
Custom User Title
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
As mentioned elsewhere, the idea was for the viewers to pick a camera
"Nah, it's okay guys, I asked my followers who we should make fun of"............

We had no intention of 'trolling' a particular brand.
But you had the intention of still trolling the winner of your little contest, no?
How does that not contribute to a toxic community?
Comedic relief?
Then that means you asked your followers which camera to make fun of.
I can't understand how you don't see the poor taste.
04-01-2021, 05:34 PM - 2 Likes   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

One of my reference points for video is my son's late-twenties friend. He's a fairly well-established professional photographer and videographer in Toronto, and shoots for well-known corporate fashion clients. He was finding that his good mirrorless camera (Sony?) wasn't up to task, and he decided that he needed a professional cinema camera. He got a Canon EOS C-series model.

Criticizing a nine-year old camera -- that was intended mainly for stills, I believe -- seems somewhat silly, as technology has improved much since it was introduced. I wonder how the subject of this thread would compare his current mirrorless camera to a real cinema camera, such as the Canon EOS C500 II.

Another general observation is that I find the typical YouTube video (none in particular) to have rather poor creative and production qualities, regardless of the gear used. It takes a special presenter or subject to maintain a viewer's attention for more than a few minutes. Rambling thought, weak diction, garbled tone, and faltering cadence don't help. It's like still photography, in which the very best camera and lens cannot overcome a poor subject, weak composition or flat lighting.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-01-2021 at 06:17 PM.
04-01-2021, 07:43 PM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

I had the K-01 video edited and scheduled before I knew the K3 III announcement date. It's just a happy coincidence that there was so much Pentax content on DPR that day.

As mentioned elsewhere, the idea was for the viewers to pick a camera that would be a challenge for me to get good video with. Viewers chose Pentax, with the K-01 being the most mentioned single model. We had no intention of 'trolling' a particular brand. However, the K-01 was an incredibly difficult camera to work with, so if the intention was to struggle with a bad tool for the job, the K-01 was a great choice.
I'm not sure if "happy" is the best word to characterize the March 30/31 coincidence. (Does rhyme with "crappy," though.). "Let's see what can be accomplished with a decade-old camera not really intended for serious video" would have been more professional than the way it sums up: "Let's see what I can do with a crappy camera." The workarounds and additional equipment needed were interesting to see. The notion of challenge to improve skill was good. The summary, not so much. A soufflé that unnecessarily went flat.