Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
05-05-2021, 09:33 PM - 3 Likes   #1

Japanese 4K video

A 4K video shot on the K-3 mklll by Pentabi

05-06-2021, 01:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I can't evaluate the 4K quality as I don't have a suiting monitor, but the high ISO performance doesn't look that terrible.
Too bad the video didn't have panned or otherwise moved shots in it, that's what my K-3 struggles with most when filming.
05-06-2021, 01:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That looks gorgeous at 4K on my laptop. I might finally be tempted to shoot some video when I get my K-3 iii....
05-06-2021, 02:57 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
I can't evaluate the 4K quality as I don't have a suiting monitor, but the high ISO performance doesn't look that terrible.
Too bad the video didn't have panned or otherwise moved shots in it, that's what my K-3 struggles with most when filming.
When I get my K-3III, I'll do all kind of things with movie SR enabled, panning, walking, tilting, ect. I have tried all of that with my K-1 not so much with K-3 since it has been bad...but this is camera I'v been waiting for from Pentax. I missed that K-5 with movie SR and were bummered them going digital SR for next models.

05-06-2021, 06:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Not bad at all...
05-06-2021, 07:25 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Make sure if you watch that you go to the Youtube settings and select 4K (click the arrow next to the gear icon and or the 1080p HD designation, and then switch to 4K in the menu)
Yes, it looks quite decent---good enough for my purposes. Now, are we certain it was shot with the K3III...?
Haven't watched the whole thing yet, got a meeting coming up...
05-06-2021, 07:50 AM   #7
Forum Member

have to watch this one.

05-06-2021, 08:41 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Watch at 13:46 where he compares it to his K-30 in house. There is a big difference

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 12:13 PM ----------

I watched the whole video on a Vizio 50 inch 4K TV, standing about 30 inches away from the screen for the most part. The daylight footage was really good with lots of detail. At the end of video he shows the ISO he used on the night footage. The night scene started with 6400 and later 25600. I don’t know if he post processed it, but it did have slight magenta tint to it. All in all very impressive for Pentax
05-06-2021, 09:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by martym Quote
The night scene started with 6400 and later 25600
That's what I was refering to. I saw the magenta tint, but for that high a ISO one can't realistically expect much better.
05-06-2021, 10:57 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by texandrews Quote
Make sure if you watch that you go to the Youtube settings and select 4K (click the arrow next to the gear icon and or the 1080p HD designation, and then switch to 4K in the menu)
Yes, it looks quite decent---good enough for my purposes. Now, are we certain it was shot with the K3III...?
Haven't watched the whole thing yet, got a meeting coming up...
It might be silly to put all those markings of ISO and shot with K-3III at there, if it was not shot with K-3III. I'm very impressed. Sure, it is not 10 -bit and all that what is in real video camera, but honestly, it has pentax colour and very natural feel in it. What more is needed for camera like this.

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 21:00 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by martym Quote
Watch at 13:46 where he compares it to his K-30 in house. There is a big difference

---------- Post added 05-06-21 at 12:13 PM ----------

I watched the whole video on a Vizio 50 inch 4K TV, standing about 30 inches away from the screen for the most part. The daylight footage was really good with lots of detail. At the end of video he shows the ISO he used on the night footage. The night scene started with 6400 and later 25600. I don’t know if he post processed it, but it did have slight magenta tint to it. All in all very impressive for Pentax
ISO 6400 was quite good(even my Black magic pocket 4K falls a part above 8000 ISO) 25000 ISO could be usable but not really

It did look quite nice with other stuff, natural, and detailed.
05-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doesn't look bad, but I don't have a 4k monitor.
05-07-2021, 07:26 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

One thing to remember about 4K: it's a boon for editing. Yes, needs more computing oomph, but that's really not such a big deal---or at least won't be when the current supply chain chip problems get ironed out, which they will. It's also now a decent file for preserving into the future.

You don't need 4K for web viewing, and excellent HD looks fine on TV---plenty of us are watching that way. Really there are so many other things that can degrade your video that having something shot in 4K is no guarantee the video will actually look decent.
05-07-2021, 01:00 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Impressive
05-07-2021, 01:11 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Yeah, I think that I’ll be using also FHD quite a bit. I do it already with my video cameras. My biggest gripe(I think that I’m not alone) with K-1 was not FHD. It was the quality of that.

That said, 8 -bit 4K should not be as is not that demanding on your computer than let’s say 4K BRAW. Especially when you throw some effects and grading in the mix( which you have to do anyway, because it is raw file). You have several clips and all the things, and all of a sudden day will get longer.

What I’v seen, I think it is enough for many things, included next little event I’m going to shoot and as well small gigs and next holiday with my family. As well as it seems to be good enough for some interesting work. Here at Finland the weather can be rough and wet even if it would still be beautiful out there, as I did look this guy walking in that mist/rain/wind my thoughts was that, yes. AW weather seal and worry free shooting I did one shoot november in mild snowing/windy day with my BMPCC4K, with my camera covered with plasticbags, me trying to see the display, and I needed that shot to finish the project and get my fee. No more plasticbags...
05-16-2021, 02:47 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Hrrrrm,...

In the first few minutes, I'm noticing the fine detail in the shadows, the bark on the trees showing the data rate is much improved, but still not high enough yet - just before the 4:30 mark, the subject walks past and embankment, where after his shadow passes, there are patches of the stones that flicker and change brightness level, with the patches being areas of separate compression processing.

These artifacts no doubt only show up in edited footage that is getting re-compressed by Youtube.

During those first few minutes, I can also hear the self-noise in the camera's internal systems, some of the motor noise for the IBIS system, sounding more like raised background noise floor then the clicking of the previous systems - I can recognize it as I've held the body of cameras against my ear to listen to the internals

It is quiet enough to be mistaken for wind noise by most people.

5:10,... the light though the water bottle,...Niiiiiiice.

6:19,... and there it is, botches of colour as the CoDec runs out of bit's to use when dealing with the noise in low light / high ISO scenes. As the subject fits the head light, note the blotching in the sky, but the sharp blotch-free image where the head light illuminates the fence post.

This will be avoided if we're able to record the HDMI output on to an external recorder with a better CoDec, this is the test we all need to see.
The 8-bit output will limit this though.

Note when walking through the fog, in places the bit allocation of the CoDec actually leave the subject almost transparent as some frame have him in the image and some don't, as the bits are spread around the image.

With Youtubes auto-translate,.. YES! his point about the Colour Science of Pentax in Stills and Video being the same, is something I've kept on about for a long time. Pentax's Colour Science for Jpegs and Video, is far far superior to Canon's, Sony's, Nikon's and Panasonics Video Colour Science, with only Nikon coming close.

He then mentions being able to change shutter speed, f-stop and ISO during recording - this is something that us Pentax Video folk are used too, but other DSLR makers don't seem capable of performing.

13:45 is the demo of the IBIS,.. it rocks.

---------- Post added 16-05-21 at 07:56 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
It might be silly to put all those markings of ISO and shot with K-3III at there, if it was not shot with K-3III. I'm very impressed. Sure, it is not 10 -bit and all that what is in real video camera, but honestly, it has pentax colour and very natural feel in it. What more is needed for camera like this.
10 bit HDMI and Flip Screen?

Okay, maybe 200mBits HEVC for the 4K

QuoteOriginally posted by repaap Quote
ISO 6400 was quite good(even my Black magic pocket 4K falls a part above 8000 ISO) 25000 ISO could be usable but not really.
Yep, those sorts of ISO's really need much higher bit rates, but really, if people need to shoot in that low light, they're better off hiring a Gaffer and Lights.