Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-22-2022, 09:59 PM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Making wildlife videos on Pentax

Part of why I upgraded to a K3iii was so I could get better video capabilities without investing into more glass in another system. One of my goals is to make videos of wildlife to go along with my still photos. This thread can be for anyone to post their wildlife and nature videos made on Pentax DSLRs but if no one else has any I will use it to periodically share what I am doing. I am a total novice to video. This first take is just a few clips merged together with no audio track. K3iii with DA*300+TC on a benro gimbal mount and tripod. 24fps with a mix of 4k downsampled to 1080p and straight 1080p. I am editing using the open source Avidemux. It is pretty basic but I already know how to use it. I also did some basic grading to try and fix my bad white balance and boost the contrast from the Flat profile.

Last edited by vector; 03-22-2022 at 10:50 PM.
03-23-2022, 01:03 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The individual clips are quite nice for a video novice, but I have to admit that I miss some sound along with the birds.
It doesn't have to be the original sound from the area, if there is too much noise pollution, just the songs from the same kind of bird will do for that instances.
When you film from inside you could place your phone outside the window to record ambient sounds to go along with the video too.
03-23-2022, 06:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yeah audio is a whole new challenge that comes with this. The original tracks have voices, car horns, wind. I was thinking that with the bird feeder back there by the tree I just need to leave a recorder out there sometimes and it could get some decent clips of natural bird chatter. This was a first attempt where I realized i don't know much yet about processing and mixing audio tracks. Lots of similar videos I see just use stock music clips and voice over mixed with some of the natural sounds. So the next attempt will be to include some of that.

Overall though I think the K3iii will be able to produce decent enough quality video for my intended use. I will probably use 4k and down sample as the crop factor is helpful with tiny subjects like birds.