Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2023, 06:10 PM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looking for advise on video for wedding speeches

I have virtually no experience with video. I have K-3 II and K-30. I'd prefer to use K-30.

What would it take, to be able to record speeches at a wedding? It will be indoor.

First things to pop into my mind was: battery lifetime. Memory card size and audio. But also sensor heat. Is that a thing?

Battery lifetime: I think recording with LCD screen on would be best, as it would be easier to quickly pass by the camera to adjust focus. I'm currently doing some recording to do my own tests. What should I ordinarily expect?

Memory card size: I currently only own 32GB card as I like to swap often. However I have plenty of them.

Based on previous experience, I guesstimate I'd need to record 3 hours. Let's say 5 hours, to be on the safe side. Specs says both cameras can do up to 25 minutes or 4GB filesize. 25 minutes should be fine for most speeches.

Audio: Can I attach external microphone? Ideally, I'd like to have a small microphone clipped on the the person for audio clarity. But maybe that's involves a different workflow, with the audio being recorded on a separate device and syncing up later in editing? I don't know, so I'm asking.

Heat: not even sure if this is relevant in any way. Is it?

Anything else? I'm open to any kind of advise or suggestions.

The camera would be mounted on a tripod. Tripod placed some suitable place and then just hit record start and stop. That's the current plan. No turning and moving. I won't be aiming for anything artistic. I plan on using Sigma 17-50 f2.8 lens.

I got booked to photograph the wedding a while ago. The couple today asked, if I can record video of speeches during the evening. I told them I don't do video, but might be able to help if they are fine with the camera not being operated while recording, because I need to focus on photographing. They are fine with that. I haven't made any promises and instead told them I'd look into it and then let them know.

03-02-2023, 06:36 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Zafar,

As a wedding photographer, you probably spend a lot of time shooting around poor lighting.

There's nowhere to hide with video, though. A TV news crew doing an interview on location will have huge lighting panels kept out of camera shot.

You'll need to work out at the venue if at the very least a spotlight can be introduced to avoid amateurish footage of the kind we've all seen, not befitting a paid professional.

I did a night of speeches, maybe three hours, cutting footage from my K-1 on a wider focal length with that from my buddy, who was supposed to do head and shoulders with his Panasonic GH5. The K-1 footage was superior in those difficult conditions, but we had settled on HD instead of 4k all round for practicality, including avoiding enormous file sizes.

Yes, do use a tripod for everything. Bobbing up and down of a camera looks bad, you'd have to shoot it again, not possible because they're once in a lifetime speeches.

Manual focus for everything. This is actually a good thing, we don't want the focus going off someone's eyes and to their hands because they point at someone or raise their champagne glass.

The external microphone is a great idea, even better going to a portable recorder like a Zoom, Tascam, Sony or whatever. Get anyone speaking on camera to clap their hands at the start of the scene so in your editing software you can join the AVI file from your Pentax with the MP3 from the recorder. IMHO, the quality of sound is more important than the quality of video. It really has to be spot on. The microphone must be as close as possible, that's why Youtubers can be seen with lavaliers.

Good luck!

Last edited by clackers; 03-02-2023 at 09:12 PM.
03-02-2023, 08:28 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Hi Zafar,

As a wedding photographer, you probably spend a lot of time shooting around poor lighting.
The story of my life

I briefly hinted at using video light and the couple were quick to dismiss it because "it ruins the existing atmosphere". That a generic attitude here in Denmark. I will push back, once I've gathered enough info about what it takes to do video and if I think I can do video.

Also, very true about not being able to hide from video. I've shot many weddings where someone was also hired to do video. It's limiting when having to avoid getting in their frame. I don't like getting in frame. But the camera itself, or the tripod rather, is also so darn huge and ugly, to get in my shots - and it takes up vital place. Often, I don't have much space to move around on and that's without any tripods.

IMHO, the quality of sound is more important than the quality of video. It really has to be spot on. The microphone must be as close as possible, that's why Youtubers can be seen with lavaliers.
I completely agree. I've heard audio recorded by the camera and it's bad and amateurish.
03-02-2023, 10:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's nighttime here and I'm editing photos in a dim room. While doing so, I let my K-3 II record video over and over again. So far, it's been doing well and I think I can cover everything I need, using 2 32GB cards.

I checked some previous wedding photos to get a better idea of how long speeches can be. Most are less than 10 minutes and on few occasion, something of an entertaining nature might be 15 minutes long. So I think I'm good with the 25 minute limitation.

Dynamic range is as expected - and bad. In quick menu, I can set highlight and shadow recovery while in video mode, but recording with these on, made no difference what so ever. I checked the recorded files. How are these features supposed to work?

03-03-2023, 10:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I have a K-3ii & have been experimenting a bit with video recently. I have found the video quality in bright light, outdoors is pretty good but it really struggles indoors in artificial light. If you have a recent smart phone, they can record pretty good audio & can be used for that purpose to edit in later. Are you going to edit the video? Some high range video editing software can improve video taken in not ideal conditions but more consumer software will struggle to improve it.
03-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
In quick menu, I can set highlight and shadow recovery while in video mode, but recording with these on, made no difference what so ever. I checked the recorded files. How are these features supposed to work?
That's just for JPGs, right?

Don't think either apply for RAW or video.
03-05-2023, 04:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
If you have a recent smart phone, they can record pretty good audio & can be used for that purpose to edit in later. Are you going to edit the video? Some high range video editing software can improve video taken in not ideal conditions but more consumer software will struggle to improve it.
I saw it's possible to get lavalier mic for smartphones, so it could actually be an option.

I'm not really planning on doing grading and the likes. Just cur different clips together.

That's just for JPGs, right?

Don't think either apply for RAW or video.
That would have been my thought too, but they are available in video mode. I can't shoot pics in video mode.

03-05-2023, 05:09 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

That would have been my thought too, but they are available in video mode. I can't shoot pics in video mode.
Yes, but they will apply for pics in Live View, and if you're in video, you're in Live View.

There are people who will shoot both ways.

In the same way, you can choose frame rate for video in the menu even if you are shooting through the OVF at the moment.
03-07-2023, 10:23 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, but they will apply for pics in Live View, and if you're in video, you're in Live View.

There are people who will shoot both ways.

In the same way, you can choose frame rate for video in the menu even if you are shooting through the OVF at the moment.
It's the screen when pressing the Info button. Everything there is related to/works with video - except Highlight and Shadow Correction, which do not appear to do anything.

And vise versa, when in Photo mode (LV or not), I only have stuff which are related to photos.
06-02-2023, 09:05 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have virtually no experience with video.
As someone who used to shoot wedding videos professionally, the single best peice of advise I can give you is,...

RUN !!!

Run now, as fast as you can, away from that industry!!!

Now that's out of the way, there's no Pentax body that shoots video that will overheat under normal conditions - I have seen the temperature warning once, and once only, on any of my Pentax bodies, and that was a K-01, standing in in direct sunlight, on a cloudless 40+ degree C day in Melbourne, after it had been recording for long enough to fill half of a 32Gb SD card.

Use two cameras, start one recording 5 or more minutes before the other, so that the recordings overlap, rather then having the 20-ish minute record limit leave you with nothing recording at the same time - put the second camera slightly off to the side on a tripod with a longer lens, it'll give you a nice cut-away in the edit.

With Manual lenses, a K-01, K-5, K-3 etc should get about Four Hours of record time per battery. AF lenses you can halve or quarter that time.

Use and external recorder - I will always recommend the Tascam DR-70D for this purpose. Paired with a Rode NTG-2 in to one channel, and some Rode Go's in to two channels - you can easily hide the Go in the Lapels of a Grooms jacket, or use them with a Lavalier mic and pop the transmitter in a pocket. The Go can also clip to the same podium etc the speeches are made from, or be used to relay the sound from the DJ's mic at the reception, or the priests mic if they use one (many now will)

Put that recorder on the camera that stays on a tripod, not one on a gimbal or hand-held. Use the uninterupted audio recording to sync the video in editing.

Lighting, done right, adds dramatic atmosphere, such as a well controlled spotlight with just enough diffusion to soften it - barn doors to shade everyone else, keep the light on the couple, but on them it MUST be soft.
Light bounced of the walls and filling the room, that's what kills mood and atmosphere.
Co-ordinate with DJ/Band etc for smoke and dry-ice effects during reception for dances.

Quoting Clackers

"That's just for JPGs, right? Don't think either apply for RAW or video."

Colour filters for Jpegs affect Video. Use Muted, you can tweak from there once practiced, and you can pull a couple of stops out of the highlights in Edius or Resolve.

Highlight and Shadow Correction, they do have an effect, you'll notice it most when grading.

Now, all that said. RUN!!!

At best, hire in a subcontractor that specializes in the video production, at worst, do it on a decent Samsung phone, S20 Ultra is a good choice, especially with the recent camera software updates.

If you can, and for HD only, buy a Sony VG-30 or VG-900 and get a Monster Adaptor for your Pentax lenses, they're the Only camcorders with S35 or FF sensor that will have the Bokeh to match your photos, every other Video Production Camera that will do so, is out of the price range of most people - BMD Ursa Mini G2 for example. And being Camcorders they don't have record limits.

Have you started running away yet?
07-15-2023, 10:30 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PiDicus Rex Quote
As someone who used to shoot wedding videos professionally, the single best peice of advise I can give you is,...

RUN !!!

Run now, as fast as you can, away from that industry!!!
LOL! I never did what the post was originally about - however since then, another couple asked about a bit of video during the photoshoot. I had the wedding about 2 weeks ago and although we agreed I'd do video as a favor and they should not expect anything, I regret agreeing to it.

Holding the camera steady was challenging enough but to think in continuity and especially to come up with some sort of story, was very difficult.

Never going to do that again!!