Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2023, 09:54 AM - 2 Likes   #1

Pentax Limited on anamorphic adapter.

Hello everyone. I would think that is the closest thing we are going to see to a modified Pentax Limited for cinema. At least for now.

The new Blazar Nero 1.5x adapter recommends the Pentax Limited 43 and 77 as base lenses.

Login ? Instagram

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/05/19/blazar-nero-1-5x-anamorphic-adapter/

Last edited by Enrique S Toso; 05-22-2023 at 10:12 AM.
05-23-2023, 09:19 AM   #2
Forum Member

I had to look up "anamorphic lens" to see how they work (https://photographylife.com/what-is-anamorphic-lens). That's really interesting!

On the one hand, cropping to produce a panoramic aspect ratio removes pixels from the top and bottom of the frame, but there are't any artifacts or loss of sharpness. On the other hand, anamorphic compression compresses the scene on the sensor horizontally. No pixels are thrown away, and after stretching the captured scene in post, the aspect ratio of the final image is wider while keeping the height constant, at the price of a softer image and possibly various artifacts.

For stills, of course one can shoot two or three images overlapping horizontally and merge in post, instead of cropping. But doing a good job merging multiple horizontally offset images can get complicated depending on the scene and lens: the subject has to remain stationary, and close objects on wider focal length lenses pretty much require a panoramic tripod head.

Sigh, another tempting accessory to add to my growing list of "wouldn't it be nice to get".
06-02-2023, 09:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Reviewer is a bit of an idiot - stacking Anamorphics is daft, just causes a loss in resolution and multiple overlapped bokeh distortions. Might as well use a reflector lens for fashion photography.

52mm thread isn't the issue the reviewer makes it out to be, as you'd be using it on Manual Focus lenses anyway, K/KM/KA full frame lenses that suit are mostly 49mm front, from 24f2.8 through 50f2/1.7/1.4/1.2 and out to 135f2.8 or 200f4.

"At least in my opinion, you should be very careful using anamorphic adapters with old lenses, because you can end up with some very soft imagery depending on the lens."

What a moron,... that's WHY we use them, to take the harshness off that modern lenses have.

For someone with his claimed experience, Allard is a bit crap at reviews of things he doesn't understand.

Looking at the samples on Blazar's youtube, I might get one, it'd go well on my K lenses in front of my Pentax's, VG900 or Cion.