Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What are your plan regarding switching to / adding another system to your gear?
My Pentax gear suits me fine as it is. 11755.98%
I needed something else and already made a switch / added another system. 2511.96%
Going to dump all my gear and buy into another system, if Pentax doesnt come up with what I need. 209.57%
Going to add another system at a cost of selling a part of my current gear. 104.78%
Cant say for sure now. Time will tell. 3717.70%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #31
Veteran Member

As one of the switchers, I should add that the only reason I switched was to buy into a better supported system and rationalise my kit.

The K7 is a fine enthusiast camera, and apart from the high ISO noise, there is not much wrong with it. The ergonomics in particular are excellent. Romours are there is a model above that due at Photokina which will likely compete on even terms with the 7D.

However I had far too much Pentax gear that never got used (15 lenses including many premium ones) and was offered a good trade in deal for a D700 and just enough pro lenses (new and second hand) to cover the bases. So I took it.

If I was not trying to launch a business I would not have bothered.

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Hello there everyone!

I`m creating this poll / thread to really see how many of us are seriously considering switching / adding another system to their photo gear, because of lack of fullframe body in Pentax ( HOYA ) line-up.

Many have stated that they will make the choice depending on the news Pentax will give us on coming Photokina at September.

I`ll try to keep the first post of this thread updated with the names of whoever wants to have it in there, accompanied with their reasons in short. Not sure if it will change something, but I hope it will, and also it will be good for some retrospection later.

I also would like to point out that we need to keep it civil, stay on topic and adhere to forum rules in here, please.

05-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
If I was not trying to launch a business I would not have bothered.
Does it mean if business will be going good and Pentax releases something outstanding again, me might just see you back again?
05-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oops. I voted I would change, but it's not for the reason you stated, so i guess my vote doesn't count.
I couldn't really give much of a toss about FF.
05-09-2010, 05:50 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Does it mean if business will be going good and Pentax releases something outstanding again, me might just see you back again?
Doubtful. Pentax is so expensive now in the UK I could never afford to go back.

On the other hand I got a decent price for my equipment compared to what I paid. I never thought I would look at a Nikon as good value but thats been the effect of the price rises over here.

If Pentax become mainstream and manage >10% of the market, perhaps third parties will take them seriously. I would like them to succeed. Nikon and Canon could learn a lot from Pentax about ergonomics and competition improves the breed but judging by the rather clunky interface on both systems they are only looking at each other.

But the Nikon gear works well and I am quite happy with it.

05-10-2010, 12:47 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have several other systems and have had for a looong time . . . Pentax 6x7, Auto 110, Pentax 135, Mamiya 135, Mamiya 6x6, Canon 135 (macro gear).

However, I am planning on dumping some of my gear to add more . . . dumping my Canon macro stuff that is . . .
05-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Sold my K-x and a couple of DA Lims to partially finance a D700 and some Nikon-mount lenses. Overall I still spent a couple grand to do it, though. I enjoy the dual-system setup. K-7 still can't be beat for ergonomics.
05-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #37
Veteran Member

I can assure you my reasons here are not to raise flame or something like that.
But your title cannot be more biased.

And the poll questions very ambiguous.
What if users want to add to Pentax system by buying one of the new EVIL/SLD cameras? Or switching to them completely?

"Pentax doesn't come up with what I need" may not mean FF for every user.

Anyways, it's time to change the title, your poll results certainly has proved that it was incorrect.

05-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Anyways, it's time to change the title, your poll results certainly has proved that it was incorrect.
I'd be a little wary using the word "proved" with any internet forum poll!
05-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
I'd be a little wary using the word "proved" with any internet forum poll!
+1

However, the thread title should have included a "?" at the end from the very start.

Given the current poll results, one could add "Not really".
05-11-2010, 05:18 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
+1

However, the thread title should have included a "?" at the end from the very start.

Given the current poll results, one could add "Not really".
Polls should be banned. I can't recall seeing one that made a correct assumption out of the gate, or had enough possible choices - much less the correct one :-)

That's just me, though.
05-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Polls should be banned. I can't recall seeing one that made a correct assumption out of the gate, or had enough possible choices - much less the correct one :-)

That's just me, though.
I don't think, polls should be banned. But we should be careful drawing conclusions from such small samples of heavily biased people. Also, a poll should not present its assumed conclusion up-front as is te case here - which renders it completely invalid.

Ben
05-12-2010, 08:24 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I recently left for other reasons although I did get a fullframe as it was damn cheap to me, I got an APSc camera also, Canon 5d and 50d..

I did leave before for Nikon but it just didn't grow on me and I came back to see if I enjoyed the k7 more than I did the k10d (I didn't much). I am enjoying using Canon a lot so far so think I may be set there..

For me I understand and agree it won't make me a better photographer at all, but it is also about enjoying the process, and if things like flash reliability (with some lenses) and AF in low light frustrate me that spoils my enjoyment.. Plus something like the 70-200/4 L IS cost me much less money in Australia than the Pentax 60-250/4 I wanted, actually about $400 less for a new one, even bigger difference for second hand. Not to mention better availability and third party support..
05-13-2010, 08:53 AM   #43
Veteran Member

it is quite ironic to see *isteve, who spent countless hours in the last few years defending Pentax and APS-C format system here on pentaxforums.com move to Nikon and FF. LOL.
05-13-2010, 09:50 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Lance looked at D700 full frame nikon...

>>>"

Following *isteve's lead, I went to have a look at the Nikon D700 at a camera store yesterday.

My main reasons for looking at FF is for the bigger brighter VF, the extra stop in DOF control, and of course, the other benefits are just icing on the cake, like better high ISO for low light, better AF among a few, as we all know. There are other benefits as well but these are more to do with the fact that this is a true pro camera and therefore there are many features that the K-7 doesn't have, like 51 AF points etc, because it is not at this level of camera.

I really am in two minds about a switch. The D700 is a very impressive feeling camera. Unfortunately, the camera store didn't have a battery in the camera, so I couldn't power it up and try the AF and other features, so I am going to another store later today to hopefully try a powered up version.

The VF is bigger, but surprisingly not that much bigger than the K-7's as I was hoping, certainly not as big as I remember the ME Super's VF in the film days - oh how I miss that VF! - am I looking through rose tinted glasses? The build quality is superb, slightly better than the K-7, but this is probably moreso due to the heavier feel of the camera. Switches, buttons and dials seem a tad more robust, but again, this is probably due to the fact that it costs 3x the price of the K-7, or thereabouts, and you would/should expect that.

The 24-70 f2.8 was attached for evaluation and with this lens attached, the whole overall size and weight is a small part as to what has scared me off the D700, may be for now - D700 @ 995gms + 24-70 f2.8 @ 900gms = 1895gms(plus batteries and cards) - K-7 @ 670gms + DA*16-50 f2.8 @ 565gms = 1235gms. What I will say is that the 24-70 is s uperb piece of glass. Sensational build quality and great feel of the zoom and focus. Better than the DA*16-50 f2.8 in zoom feel and it really feels like a pro level lens and of course it would need to be as it is about US$2,000. This is the type of lens Pentax needs to have and the type of one that I asked this forum about last year as to whether people would pony up for one. I know I would buy one in a heartbeat, and a lens like this would almost convince me to not bother about FF.

As I said, I could not try the AF due to lack of battery and even if it is better, at the moment, as great as the D700 is, it was the size, weight and lack of in camera SR has scared me off it. If I were a pro, like *isteve has decided to go, I wouldn't hesitate at getting the D700 with the 24-70 f2.8. It is a superb piece of kit judging by my limited handling of it, by the results I've seen and by the writeups given.

As for Pentax maybe going FF sometime in the future? For me, I would purchase one in a heartbeat as long as they could make it about the same size and weight as the K20D or even better, then K-7. They would definitely need to have a 24-70 of the calibre of the Nikon version as well as a 70-200 f2.8 as well.

Of course, if Pentax can come out with a camera of this quality and performance in APS C, with a lens like the Nikkor 24-70 f2.8, then I think we may keep many Pentax FF advocates for the short term.

<<<"

Looked at theNikon D700 yesterday: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

From his thread posted recently.
Lots of great posts in Lance's thread.
Great insights from his very first time handling any full frame dslr, albeit without a battery installed.

I don't think Pentax needs to offer full frame as most people thesedays who want full frame are finding it elsewhere instead of waiting yet another year or two or three...

QuoteOriginally posted by awo425 Quote
it is quite ironic to see *isteve, who spent countless hours in the last few years defending Pentax and APS-C format system here on pentaxforums.com move to Nikon and FF. LOL.
05-14-2010, 07:54 AM   #45
Forum Member

I went from K20D to 5DmkI and am not looking back. Life's too short to wait all the time. The 645D release is a very strong statement that there will not be a K-mount FF body. not in 5 years and certainly not this year or next year.

I'm still shooting Pentax analog, though. (MX, LX, 67)