Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: What are your plan regarding switching to / adding another system to your gear?
My Pentax gear suits me fine as it is. 11755.98%
I needed something else and already made a switch / added another system. 2511.96%
Going to dump all my gear and buy into another system, if Pentax doesnt come up with what I need. 209.57%
Going to add another system at a cost of selling a part of my current gear. 104.78%
Cant say for sure now. Time will tell. 3717.70%
Voters: 209. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2010, 04:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax Fullframe Exodus

Hello there everyone!

I`m creating this poll / thread to really see how many of us are seriously considering switching / adding another system to their photo gear, because of lack of fullframe body in Pentax ( HOYA ) line-up.

Many have stated that they will make the choice depending on the news Pentax will give us on coming Photokina at September.

I`ll try to keep the first post of this thread updated with the names of whoever wants to have it in there, accompanied with their reasons in short. Not sure if it will change something, but I hope it will, and also it will be good for some retrospection later.

I also would like to point out that we need to keep it civil, stay on topic and adhere to forum rules in here, please.

05-07-2010, 04:48 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Planning to switch systems if there are no new good news in autumn:

24X36NOW
Arpe - reasons other than lack of FF body
Asahiflex
distudio
Jazzyboy
jthommo
Lance B
Lars
lurchlarson
malakola
oliver939
ozlizard
Patang
PiotrKrochmal
Ron Man

Planning to sell some of the gear to add a new system if there are no news at Photokina:

captmacq
Groundloop
ilya80
yeatzee

The list of those who already made a switch / added another system:

*isteve
alexeyga
awo425
cwood
deadwolfbones
ennacac
KungPOW
PentaxPoke
stevebrot
wlachan

Last edited by ilya80; 05-30-2010 at 12:00 PM.
05-07-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I find the current Pentax APS-C cameras quite good in almost every respect for my shooting. And we also have now the option for a medium format DSLR. That's good enough for me. If Pentax ever releases a FF camera, I will certainly add it, but I don't miss it so much, that I abandon Pentax for the lack off.

Ben
05-07-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
Hello there everyone!

I`m creating this poll / thread to really see how many of us are seriously considering switching / adding another system to their photo gear, because of lack of fullframe body in Pentax ( HOYA ) line-up.
You don't have an option for "If I did buy a full-frame dSLR, I wouldn't have much left over to build a system around it. I don't really take that many photographs. I just like to pontificate about what companies should do on web forums. And my genitals are feeling rather small because my friends with Nikon, Sony, or Canon entry-level dSLRs are bragging to me about their better systems."

05-07-2010, 06:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
... And my genitals are feeling rather small because my friends with Nikon, Sony, or Canon entry-level dSLRs are bragging to me about their better systems."
This is a fine example of thick trolling I would rather not have here.

Please restrain yourself from commenting like that, if you can, there is a poll option for those who are content with Pentax and there is no need to try and insult anyone.
05-07-2010, 06:53 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting question, but you've injected bias into the poll with the thread title and the language used in the choices. And I wish the polling system would present the choices in random order to make the results of all polls a little more statistically valid.

Right now Pentax suits my needs at a pricepoint that I'm comfortable with. Would I consider full frame if my needs change? Sure. Would it make me a better photographer? Not so much.
05-07-2010, 07:50 AM   #7

Well, the camera suits me just fine (K-7), I wouldn't mind better high iso, but it works fine.
What I would like is some better flash options, able to go +3 on flash and stuff like that. And if they are going into pro space they'll need it.

05-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Suits me fine, but I'll buy a FF pentax body the day it's made available...
05-07-2010, 10:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I voted My Pentax gear suits me fine as it is, because I already have FF Pentax SLRs, using film, not to mention the P645. Let's not forget one of the major attractions of Pentax for many of us: the well thought out backward compatibility of the mount.
05-07-2010, 10:16 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I already started shooting another system in parallel to my Pentax dSLR. Nikon? Canon? Sony? Leica?

Nope...None of the above. I simply went back to film for 35mm FF and recently bought a 4x5 view camera for 120 and 4x5 film. Why film? It was the most cost-effective route to higher quality images (i.e. larger media size). My total investment for film cameras and two scanners (Nikon 5000 ED and Epson V700) has been far less than what a FF dSLR system would have cost me and the digitized images are quite good to superb depending on film and format.

Steve
05-07-2010, 07:49 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ilya80 Quote
This is a fine example of thick trolling I would rather not have here.

Please restrain yourself from commenting like that, if you can, there is a poll option for those who are content with Pentax and there is no need to try and insult anyone.
Sorry, that might have been a little strong.

But the whole poll is a troll. We've got plenty of this sort of thread everywhere. We've even had similar polls before. You're not getting a meaningful gauge of anything other than a collection of self-selected claims. Later, it'll be used by people as if it were scientific to try to justify "demands" of what Pentax ought or oughtn't do.

I guess it's fun to see if people stick to what they say a year from now or something. But that's not all that exciting.
05-07-2010, 08:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

There is an option missing...."I'll stick with Pentax so I can bypass 35mm full frame and move up to digital medium format, the 645d".
05-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #13

Should of left off the part about selling part to add another system imo

I love my 20D but it doesn’t have the high ISO I need. Is it going to cost me yes. Is there a Pentax option no. Will I get ride of my gear no. Will I add to it, not until I have the other gear.

Am I telling Pentax what to do NO I’m letting them know what I want and need. Pentax should say whether or not they’re going to fulfill that need
05-08-2010, 02:47 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Sorry, that might have been a little strong.

But the whole poll is a troll. We've got plenty of this sort of thread everywhere. We've even had similar polls before. You're not getting a meaningful gauge of anything other than a collection of self-selected claims. Later, it'll be used by people as if it were scientific to try to justify "demands" of what Pentax ought or oughtn't do.

I guess it's fun to see if people stick to what they say a year from now or something. But that's not all that exciting.
I can assure you my reasons here are not to raise flame or something like that.

I want to get some numbers ( I understand this will be far from statistical research )

Also I want to see how many of us actually do the thing when time comes.

And finally I can only hope that some people who are even remotely related to decision making will see the results of the poll before and after Photokina, thats why I`ll try to keep it going.
05-08-2010, 02:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry about some missing options for the poll. Please ty to select the one that makes most sense.

Like if you will get a 645D - select the first option.

If you are going to add another system - select the fourth option.

Thanks,
Ilya.