Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Questions to Canon Compact camera owners

So

I'm looking for a timelapse camera, and Canon P&S is the way to go because of the CHDK firmware hack.

I have tried to google some features that are important to me with little succes, i'm asking if someone on the forum just happened to own canon compacts and could answer if their model has the feature I want.

so...

question 1:

AC-adapter which doesn't replace the battery, (usually this is with models that use AA batteries), and if it doesn't does the AC-adapter charge accu's so that if there's a power shortage camera would not shut down?

Question 2:

Camera zoom would be accurate so that I can zoom to the focal lenght I want everytime.

I tested with Canon SX200IS but its AC-adapter replaces the accu and therefore it needs an UPS which is one variable more. And also if power has been shut down and restarted again, focal lenght must be set again and there's no indicator which focal lenght camera currently is.

Anyway, I know these questions are by a longshot, but if you have info of your canon point&shoot please share

I would be looking to use this camera in various time-lapse projects ranging from days to many months.

Thank you in advance

-Juho

05-10-2010, 01:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
At least the zoom question I can answer - the CHKDK does provision a way to set the zoom and check exact position - there may still be some wobble in the mechanic, but that is probably small.

QuoteOriginally posted by jaitas Quote
So

I'm looking for a timelapse camera, and Canon P&S is the way to go because of the CHDK firmware hack.

I have tried to google some features that are important to me with little succes, i'm asking if someone on the forum just happened to own canon compacts and could answer if their model has the feature I want.

so...

question 1:

AC-adapter which doesn't replace the battery, (usually this is with models that use AA batteries), and if it doesn't does the AC-adapter charge accu's so that if there's a power shortage camera would not shut down?

Question 2:

Camera zoom would be accurate so that I can zoom to the focal lenght I want everytime.

I tested with Canon SX200IS but its AC-adapter replaces the accu and therefore it needs an UPS which is one variable more. And also if power has been shut down and restarted again, focal lenght must be set again and there's no indicator which focal lenght camera currently is.

Anyway, I know these questions are by a longshot, but if you have info of your canon point&shoot please share

I would be looking to use this camera in various time-lapse projects ranging from days to many months.

Thank you in advance

-Juho
05-10-2010, 01:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elho_cid Quote
At least the zoom question I can answer - the CHKDK does provision a way to set the zoom and check exact position - there may still be some wobble in the mechanic, but that is probably small.
Thanks for that! I have missed that feature altogether, I have to dig that out, just these kinds of little bits are helpful

Greets
-Juho