Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2010, 10:52 AM   #1

Anyone use an old m42 lens on canon 40D or 50D?

I currently have a Pentax K100D with some old m42 lenses. A Vivitar 135mm, Vivitar Series 1 200mm and an old Canon FD 400mm that was converted to m42.

Thinking of making the switch to Canon for the faster auto focus. But don't have the money to buy the body and auto focus lens right now. Wanted to know if the old m42 lenses will work on the canon bodies? Wondering if anyone has used an old m42 lens on a canon 40D or 50D and what your results were?

Not trying to start a Canon vs Pentax war, just wanted to know if the old m42 lenses will work with the Canon bodies.

Thanks

Bob

05-10-2010, 11:18 AM   #2
Veteran Member

A $10US M42-EOS adapter mounts M42 lenses on Canon 40D and 50D.

M42 lenses are used almost exclusively on my Canon 5D1.

Just curious why you want faster AF for use with M42?
05-10-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I use them on 5D mark2 occasionally. Bought adapter with focus confirmation on Ebay somewhere from Hong Kong. Works great in Av mode.
Actually it works better that on Pentax. I don't see how 50D will be different from 5D2
05-10-2010, 12:42 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rhodopsin Quote
. . .

Just curious why you want faster AF for use with M42?
He said he was planning on getting AF lenses later.

05-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys!

Yeah I was torn with what to do. I want a new camera body. So I was looking between a Pentax k20D or a Canon 40D maybe 50D. I want to switch over to canon and get some L series lenses for the better auto focus performance. But the L series glass as I'm sure you all know if expensive!!! But I figure I can get a used 400mm f5.6 and a 70 - 200mm f4 around $1,000 each. But that's going to take some more savings.

One of the big reasons to make the switch in my mind is the fact that Pentax isn't making a lens longer than 300mm. I just don't get why they wouldn't keep making longer lenses?

I also didn't want to buy a Canon body and have to wait a year or so before I could use it because I couldn't afford the lens I want.

After posting here I went over to the Canon forum and found a link that had about 70 pages of photos taken with m42 lenses. So it looks like I'm going to pick up a Canon body and start my switch. I will still keep my Pentax as I love all my lenses and the in body image stabilization!

Thanks again for all your help.

Bob
06-01-2010, 10:07 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
My opinion is that the use of M42 lenses on Canon bodies has cost Pentaxians a great amount of money in the last several years. It really burns me to be checking Pentax lenses on EBAY and continually coming across adaptors for Canon cameras. Canon users should stay away from Pentax lenses completely. Let the Pentaxians compete with each other. There are significantly fewer of us than "them", so the prices would have to come down.

Just my own selfish thought!
06-02-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dawsonjm Quote
My opinion is that the use of M42 lenses on Canon bodies has cost Pentaxians a great amount of money in the last several years. It really burns me to be checking Pentax lenses on EBAY and continually coming across adaptors for Canon cameras. Canon users should stay away from Pentax lenses completely. Let the Pentaxians compete with each other. There are significantly fewer of us than "them", so the prices would have to come down.

Just my own selfish thought!
NOW I agree; THEN (while I had a canon & mostly used Pentax m42's - with feedback) I did not agree.

Dave