Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Veteran Member

After looking at the dpreview preview I am really not wowed by the physical design of this camera one bit.

1. Majorly out of proportion, giant lens tiny body.
2. The flash system is retarded.
3. Lack of controls, it's just a glorified P&S.
4. 330 shots from the battery, now that's pretty poor.

05-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The controls, menus and poor AF speed are complete turnoffs for me. I have zero interest in this camera, but I believe this type of design will be viable in the future.

Last edited by audiobomber; 05-12-2010 at 09:17 AM.
05-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Yet another MILF ???

Mirrorless
Interchangeable
Lens
Format

PLEASE, don't let this acronym catch on. It is taken already, you know?
05-12-2010, 09:00 AM   #19
Inactive Account

Yes, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front is not an organisation to f*ck with.

05-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Yes, the Moro Islamic Liberation Front is not an organisation to f*ck with.
Those aren't the Mothers I was thinking of. :ugh:
05-12-2010, 09:26 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirrors I'd Like to Forgo?
05-12-2010, 10:56 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mildly Iridescent Lomographic Film?

05-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #23
VAV

The camera has a mirrorless low light handheld mode that works very well. I saw a demo of a compact Sony with the same technology and the results were impressive in a dark room. So, low light High ISO should be very good but may work for only still life as this mode uses multiple exposures and then combines them.
05-12-2010, 04:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Personally I just don't get these cameras, they are pretty much compacts with big ass lenses attached, the whole thing looks totally out of proportion.
But these are perfect cameras for people moving up from P&S. They feature control and handling very similar to P&S. And mind you these are only 1st generation. And they may come up with a more sophisticated model with more manual controls/dials later on.

And I personally won't write off its design so quickly without actually holding one in hand.
05-16-2010, 01:28 PM   #25

Photos: Gallery
"manual" settings are with withing the menus.
05-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
pretty impressive High ISO. but the lack of necessary features makes this camera a pain in the neck. I just hate it when Sony treat people like idiots. I mean c'mon. reducing the features to make it appear cheap, but not. I mean c'mon, weak battery life, no VF, not even EVF and no flash. if you are going to add these necessary features, the camera would sell at around $900-$1000, which is bullocks. you can buy a cheap k-x and d5000 + premium lenses with that amount. I dont think buying a crippled portable camera with a great High ISO for that amount would make any sense. the only selling point of this lens is HIGH ISO and small size. for me, it's only worth $400 dollars for the whole kit (either NEX starter kit lens).

too bad, if not for the EVF, weak battery and flash, this would had been a great portable camera for the price. I guess Sony still hasn't learned on how to price competitively.

I hope Pentax releases their own version.
05-24-2010, 05:23 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, pricing also depends on the market, and right now... There are similarly-sized cameras with similar battery life, NO flash, significantly worse high ISO performance, and no VF (though they do have detachable EVFs, though it's been stated that SONY plans one) with higher prices than these Sony NEX cameras. Those cameras have been selling quite well and even made a significant dent in the UK camera market as some recent news articles noted.

I think there's certainly more to these cameras than high ISO and small size, as IQ at low ISOs is also likely to be excellent and the lensmount is highly adaptable. But most importantly I'd say that, given the market, the pricing is very competitive. The only thing I'm leery on, which you mentioned as well, are the controls. They don't seem very well suited for those of us who already know what we want to adjust and want to do it on the fly... but it may not be too hard to adapt to it.
05-24-2010, 11:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
1. Majorly out of proportion, giant lens tiny body..
these new lens mounts are high adaptable... thats a pentax lens