Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2010, 11:34 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I already said it looked great. The camera shop was not exactly what i'd call low light so I can't really comment on that.

I said it was the best EVF I had seen. I'm just not a big fan of EVF, period.
I'm trying to understand the differences you perceive between EVF and OVF.

06-05-2010, 01:08 AM   #17
Inactive Account

It's electronic! Is it really so hard to understand?
06-05-2010, 03:56 AM   #18
Veteran Member

It's like comparing a television to a window

Looking out the window at the real world, there is such depth

Looking at that same scene on a television, it's not the same

Last edited by spystyle; 06-05-2010 at 11:12 AM.
06-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
It's electronic! Is it really so hard to understand?
It's quite all right if you can't describe it.

Last edited by Eruditass; 06-06-2010 at 01:13 PM.
06-06-2010, 01:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
It's like comparing a television to a window

Looking out the window at the real world, there is such depth

Looking at that same scene on a television, it's not the same
I don't find this a useful analogy. An optical viewfinder focuses onto one thin plane of focus in front of your eyes. You can change the plane of focus without adjusting the lens. You look at the matte nearly 2D focusing screen. I believe this completely different than a binocular, which actually outputs the image into your eyes, although the focus is still controlled by the lenses.

Now, there many other things that affect the perception of depth that could make a electronic screen look more flat than an OVF.

Looking out a window is something that will never be achieved through an optical magnification device (without some kind attachment to eye muscles) for many reasons.

Last edited by Eruditass; 06-06-2010 at 01:17 PM.
06-06-2010, 06:21 PM   #21
Veteran Member

There is one key area that many people do not consider when comparing optical viewfinder (OVF) vs electronic VF (EVF).

Sure, some may find OVF "better" - but this is what your eyes see, and not how the sensor sees the same image! OVF basically is a simulation/estimation of your captured image; and it may not be 100% accurate. E.g. the coverage is most likely less than 100%; and you can have front focusing or back focusing. OTOH, EVF is more relevant to me, as it is how the sensor sees the image.

You can have the biggest and clearest optical viewfinder in the world, but it is of little use if the image captured is not quite the same.

EVF allows immediate white balance preview, exposure preview, real time histogram, 100% coverage - i.e. how your captured image would turn out! Isn't that what we want? Obviously, current generation EVF is not ideal, and resolution and refresh rate can be improved. But in a few years time, I think I would prefer EVF over OVF.
06-07-2010, 05:14 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
Sure, some may find OVF "better" - but this is what your eyes see, and not how the sensor sees the same image!
It is not exactly what the sensor sees - the EVF is just a display. But I see your point.