Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-28-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One EVIL/MILC/etc advantage

I was never a fan of EVIL as I love the optical viewfinder look, but I just thought of this. Forgive me if it's already been covered, but one area of possible major advantage of EVIL is the potential for a very large viewfinder, even if it is electric and not optical (not talking about liveview).

Eventually, viewfinders larger than FF or MF cameras with enough pixels and less lag (and in-body IS'd) to be indistinguishable. And it would work better in low-light and bright sunlight with enough processing power, NR, etc. I wouldn't mind a SLR-looking/feeling/functioning/performing body without a mirror whenever this is possible. Of course this would require other advances like a splitter to go to phase-detect AF (hell if I'd give that up).

Basically, I'd be more than happy with an APS-C DSLR that is exactly the same as it is now but with a large EVF in place of the optical one. Whether most consumers want it or not is an entirely different question!

05-29-2010, 03:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

What is EVIL MILC ?
05-29-2010, 05:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by spystyle Quote
What is EVIL MILC ?
Electronic Viewfinder, Interchangeable Lens

Mirrorless, Interchangeable Lens Camera
05-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Oh I see, I already have another thread going about how I prefer big penta-prisms and I call MILC's "point and shoot with interchangeable lens"

So my vote is : reflex ! Long live reflex

05-29-2010, 07:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looked at your thread, and we want the same.

Bigger and brighter viewfinders. There are optical limitations with mirrors and optical viewfinders. Some light has to be split off and go to the AF, for example. APS-C pentaprisms have nothing on old FF or MF VF's anyway.

But with where technology is going, we can have 100% coverage, XXX% size viewfinder (not rear LCD), as bright as we want in darkness from low light or say 100mm of extension tubes, 1000 f/13 (think real time Topaz DeNoise4), and so forth.

Don't get me wrong, current m43rds and their lack of viewfinders suck a lot. I am not talking about a P&S with an interchangable lens, I am talking a bout a SLR-style body, say something that looks and feels exactly like a K-7, but when you look in the VF, it's a super large and bright digital viewfinder.
05-30-2010, 04:56 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I would try it However the last electronic viewfinder I looked through was ... so very artificial.

Like a tiny TV that was too close and too bright. But I'm sure if manufacturers wanted too they could make very nice electronic viewfinder

Opposite of that, I have tried an external finder on top of an AF camera and that was surprisingly nice, with 200% coverage (approximately) but at closer than 4 feet (approximately) parallax becomes a real problem.

Ultimately manufacturers need to take interest in viewfinders again, they are so concerned with megapixels and face detection they shelved they've got us looking through little keyholes to compose our shots.

I am convinced that sucky viewfinders encourage thoughtless composition, or impair thoughtful composition. I really enjoy using the old manual film SLR's with their big bright viewfinders. How could we have lost that? How did technology march forward but get worse? That's a rhetorical question but I still think about it

It looks like for now we'll be squinting through our little keyhole finders and composing on the LCD like Moms do it

That's my 2 cents

Cheers,
Craig
05-30-2010, 06:09 AM   #7
Forum Member

Well.. Panny already has relatively huge EVFs in G1/GH1/G2 (think 1Ds Mk3 size but 4:3 rather than 3:2), however the technology still needs improvement, when light levels go down, EVF start to show their disadvantages.

Anyway... since MILC is already taken, why not go with MILF? As in... "Mirrorless Interchangeable Lens Format", obviously (I can't take credit for the idea, saw it on another forum)

05-30-2010, 08:19 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, but the G1 is only 0.7x in FF size magnification, and it is noisy and slow in low light.

With where technology is going, it will be no time until it is jerk free in low light, with no shutter lag, and noise free (real-time Topaz DeNoise4-like). It is simply a matter of processing power, and there's Moore's law...

I guarantee you that the technology will be there such that a EVF can look at least as good as an optical viewfinder to you or me in the near future.

MILF would garner too many expectations and odd pictures/films with them.

Last edited by Eruditass; 05-31-2010 at 10:52 PM.
05-30-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
Veteran Member

A lot of talk here about the G1/GH1 EVFs - and they are quite good. But if anyone here finds themself in a real camera store anytime soon, check out one of the Olympus Pens with the VF-2 on it. The VF-2 is a removable EVF that slides into the hot shoe. It is staggeringly good. I'm sure some shortcomings reveal themselves in very dark circumstances... but in anything from bright to fairly marginal light, the VF-2 is just great. It's simply the best EVF I have ever seen. In normal light inside one camera store and also when I tested it outside, it looked like an optical viewfinder to me. What's more, there's no rainbow tearing effect that can occasionally be seen with the Lumix models when glancing quickly from one side of the frame to the other, either.
06-02-2010, 09:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
For those interested, this discussion is also going on here with more gusto:

From an SLR lover: one EVIL lust: Open Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
06-02-2010, 10:36 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Moved to off-brand.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
06-04-2010, 09:21 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Does anyone know the what the focal length multiplier is on the Oly EP1/EP2? They don't list it on DPR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Biro Quote
A lot of talk here about the G1/GH1 EVFs - and they are quite good. But if anyone here finds themself in a real camera store anytime soon, check out one of the Olympus Pens with the VF-2 on it. The VF-2 is a removable EVF that slides into the hot shoe. It is staggeringly good. I'm sure some shortcomings reveal themselves in very dark circumstances... but in anything from bright to fairly marginal light, the VF-2 is just great. It's simply the best EVF I have ever seen. In normal light inside one camera store and also when I tested it outside, it looked like an optical viewfinder to me. What's more, there's no rainbow tearing effect that can occasionally be seen with the Lumix models when glancing quickly from one side of the frame to the other, either.
I have not had a play with the Lumix, but had a little play with the Oly EP1 PEN cam. The cam itself feels great & the VF-2 is definitely the best EVF I have seen, but that being said, it still didn't convince me. I much prefer the optical viewfinder.

The Oly PEN EP2, in black, looks great.
06-04-2010, 09:40 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Does anyone know the what the focal length multiplier is on the Oly EP1/EP2? They don't list it on DPR.
The crop factor is 2x for all Four Thirds.
06-04-2010, 10:26 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep, 2x, but note that the aspect ratios are different.
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote

I have not had a play with the Lumix, but had a little play with the Oly EP1 PEN cam. The cam itself feels great & the VF-2 is definitely the best EVF I have seen, but that being said, it still didn't convince me. I much prefer the optical viewfinder.

The Oly PEN EP2, in black, looks great.
What did you not like about it? The way it looked? low light performance?
06-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
Inactive Account

I already said it looked great. The camera shop was not exactly what i'd call low light so I can't really comment on that.

I said it was the best EVF I had seen. I'm just not a big fan of EVF, period.