Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Help on Screw Mount ID of a SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH TELE XENAR 18CM F5.5

SCHNEIDER-KREUZNACH TELE XENAR 18CM F5.5
I am trying to figure out a way to adapt this lens to M42, If anyone can give any information about this lens I just acquired, it will be most helpful. I need to go to 4/3mount however if I could adapt to m42, I can easily take it to 4/3rds. (not Micro 4/3) I just love old glass.

This lens has 16 blades and looks like an incredible piece. It is on its way from Isreal as we speak so I cant measure it. I am hoping some of the Gurus here may be able to identify this mount so I will ready to mount it and take some snaps when it gets here.

Thanks so much. Sorry I don't shoot a Pentax camera but have tons of Tak glass so I am not all bad, LOL

Here is some pics f the lens

Look at those awesome blades

If anything I have an awesome paper weight

06-22-2010, 01:23 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The notch on the thread makes it look like it's a Leica M39 mount... at 18cm, I would wager a guess that it's a lens intended for the Leica Visoflex system. If so, you should be able to find adapters without glass that let you keep infinity focus.
06-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think Ping's right:

M39-M42 adapters exist, and then it's just a matter of extension. Probably worthwhile to order one now, while the lens is in transit: especially if it has to come from Hong Kong, which takes a while. (and maybe some M42 extension tubes to play with, while you're at it. )

I think it's a safe bet on M39 though. You might even be able to sneak a bellows on there and get your focus that way in lieu of the Visoflex. I'm not sure what the registration distance would be.
06-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Right, I also think it's a M39 Leica mount.

A word of caution though, last year I bought two Jupiter m39 lenses thinking that I could use the m39 to m42 adapter to use on my K10D but turned out those lenses were m39 Leica instead of m39 Zenit hence even with the m39 to m42 adapter the lenses won't focus beyond 30cm...

06-22-2010, 06:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
Right, I also think it's a M39 Leica mount.

A word of caution though, last year I bought two Jupiter m39 lenses thinking that I could use the m39 to m42 adapter to use on my K10D but turned out those lenses were m39 Leica instead of m39 Zenit hence even with the m39 to m42 adapter the lenses won't focus beyond 30cm...
Indeed. If Ping's right and it's made for a Visoflex type unit, there's more leeway, though. Those introduce a prism and mirror housing between a rangefinder body and a leica threaded lens, thus making like a little SLR: these'd commonly be used with tele lenses, cause rangefinders and long lenses dont' make a very practical combination alone. So odds are decent it might work.
06-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Indeed. If Ping's right and it's made for a Visoflex type unit, there's more leeway, though. Those introduce a prism and mirror housing between a rangefinder body and a leica threaded lens, thus making like a little SLR: these'd commonly be used with tele lenses, cause rangefinders and long lenses dont' make a very practical combination alone. So odds are decent it might work.
Ahhh I'm learning everyday. Thanks mate!
06-23-2010, 11:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want to get an M39-M42 adapter you can pick one up from Yuri at fedka.com for 12.50 -- he is a good guy to deal with.