Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

NASA Astronaut's Photography Manual

I found this on the Hasselblad website and thought some of you might find it interesting:

Link: NASA Astronaut's Photography Manual

Chris

08-08-2010, 04:17 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A very interesting read.

I've always been interested in how they take photos in space, and paid a visit to the Kodak museum in Rochester last year. They had one of the first satellites to orbit the moon on display, and since it was from the last 50's/early 60's, it relied on film technology rather than having a digital sensor. However, since the satellite wouldn't be returning to earth, they somehow managed to put in a chemical darkroom as well as a digital scanner in there, and using that they accomplished the mammoth task of transmitting the photos to earth. Definitely an unusual contraption! Whatever gets to job done, right?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-08-2010, 06:02 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Only the first few pages are operating instructions for the Hasselblad camera.
The following twenty pages amount to a crash course in photography.
I'm amazed that so many superb images were produced by astronauts using this slim volume.

Chris
08-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
A very interesting read.

I've always been interested in how they take photos in space, and paid a visit to the Kodak museum in Rochester last year. They had one of the first satellites to orbit the moon on display, and since it was from the last 50's/early 60's, it relied on film technology rather than having a digital sensor. However, since the satellite wouldn't be returning to earth, they somehow managed to put in a chemical darkroom as well as a digital scanner in there, and using that they accomplished the mammoth task of transmitting the photos to earth. Definitely an unusual contraption! Whatever gets to job done, right?
That was so interesting I had to google it. Found this after a while:
Luna 3 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia