Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2011, 08:55 PM   #346

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Lovely shots Bart.. I like the tone on the b&w treatment. Also, I wasn't familiar with the Ai-P 45mm.. thanks for bringing that lens to my attention!

This past Easter weekend (which was a long weekend for us Canadians) I was in NYC.. I didn't take that many photos but here are two that I particularly like:

Stitched panorama ala Brenizer Method.

Panning shot.

04-27-2011, 01:00 PM   #347
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thank you, twilight samurai.
05-01-2011, 11:42 AM   #348
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Again, nice stuff!

5D with Carl Zeiss 50mm f/1.7 Planar T*:

05-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #349
Inactive Account

Some shots of my buddy's motorcycle from today.

More can be found here.

05-01-2011, 08:42 PM   #350
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twilight_samurai Quote
I was in Philadelphia for a day and just had to visit JFK Plaza to check out this famous public art display as I love it.. pun intended haha. Shot with a Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D @ f/1.8, ISO3200, multiple shots stitched together to give a wider FOV but with a shallow DOF.
Very nice. Has a MF feel to it.
05-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #351
Veteran Member

Hi guys, I'd like to join you with this one, Nikon D700 and a Pentax mount Voigtlander 125mm macro with a K-to-F mount adapter (non-lens version). This first I took took with this combination, love it my self (the combo I mean)

and one regular shot too:

I have just begun my journey to digital FF...
05-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #352
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Gawan, what adapter and could you post a picture of it?

Although I don't have any images to show from it yet, I picked up a Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4 XR Di wide angle recently for $200.00.
It arrived today and at first look seems like a very good lens. 17mm on a D700 is more than wide enough most of the time. I had a Sigma 12-24mm f4-5.6 and although the lens is W I D E. It`s slow and has filter limitations. The 14-24mm f2.8 is a great lens but at 9x the price of the Tamron, I'll live with the -3 mm and variable aperture. Hopefully I'll have some decent shots from it to post soon. I think a lens worth considering for Canon and Nikon owners who want a wide FF lens.

05-03-2011, 12:27 PM   #353
Inactive Account

Man...a bunch of us have the D700 now. That's awesome!

c[_]
05-03-2011, 02:07 PM   #354
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Man...a bunch of us have the D700 now. That's awesome!

c[_]
I just got rid of my D700 and bought a second K-5 for my working kit.
Couldn't justify the costs and found no benefits to shooting FF over APS-C for the type of shooting I do. Especially in the DOF dept. which could lways be negotiated.
05-03-2011, 03:38 PM   #355
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I just got rid of my D700 and bought a second K-5 for my working kit.
Couldn't justify the costs and found no benefits to shooting FF over APS-C for the type of shooting I do. Especially in the DOF dept. which could lways be negotiated.
I'm sure the benefits of FF aren't for everyone. For me, FF is secondary to the ridiculously fast and accurate AF that the D700 provides, as well as, Nikon's CLS flashwork. The fat VF and gorgeous sensor are icing on the cake.

c[_]
05-03-2011, 03:52 PM   #356
Veteran Member

Hey Peter, I don't have image of my own but what I have is this:

Macro Pentax PK Lens to Nikon Mount Adapter D90 D700 D3 on eBay (end time 09-May-11 12:09:57 BST)

This is just perfect for macro lens, because there is no adjustment lens there also is no deteriorating of image quality. Of course with this one I loose the infinity focusing, but that's not a problem with a macro lens anyway. I can focus till ca. 3-4 feet, which is plenty for me.

This adapter is from china, but is of good quality, fits exactly and tightly on both ends.

The same maker also has a infinity focusing version with an adjustment lens ín it, see PENTAX PK K Lens to NIKON Mount Adapter Infinity Focus on eBay (end time 15-May-11 11:25:02 BST)

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Gawan, what adapter and could you post a picture of it?

Although I don't have any images to show from it yet, I picked up a Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4 XR Di wide angle recently for $200.00.
It arrived today and at first look seems like a very good lens. 17mm on a D700 is more than wide enough most of the time. I had a Sigma 12-24mm f4-5.6 and although the lens is W I D E. It`s slow and has filter limitations. The 14-24mm f2.8 is a great lens but at 9x the price of the Tamron, I'll live with the -3 mm and variable aperture. Hopefully I'll have some decent shots from it to post soon. I think a lens worth considering for Canon and Nikon owners who want a wide FF lens.
05-03-2011, 04:00 PM   #357
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I'm sure the benefits of FF aren't for everyone. For me, FF is secondary to the ridiculously fast and accurate AF that the D700 provides, as well as, Nikon's CLS flashwork. The fat VF and gorgeous sensor are icing on the cake.

c[_]
I am along the same lines here, I simply love the quality and responsiveness of my Nikon gear (only have the D700 and 24-70 at the moment, planning to buy some primes), although I never tried newer Pentax than my stolen K10D. Larger playground with DOF is also something I am learning to love more each day.
05-04-2011, 11:12 AM   #358
Pentaxian

For me, FF is about lenses giving the FOV again that they were meant to give.
05-05-2011, 06:01 PM   #359

I volunteered to take photos at a local fundraising event called Bowl For Japan, with proceeds going to the Canadian Red Cross relief effort in the earthquake devastated region of Japan. At the end of the event, the organizer wanted to get a LARGE group shot done. Of course, I obliged, despite the fact that my widest lens is the 24-70mm. I wanted to get up higher than the group so climbed up on a counter (w/ spinning ceiling fans very close to my head ) to do a 3-shot stitched panorama.

Too bad the counter I stood on wasn't centered but overall, I'm fairly pleased with how it turned out considering I've never done this type of shot with people as the main subject, and did it so quickly too. Because of the numerous people, I thought that maybe the stitching software would have trouble with it but it did a pretty good job. In retrospect, maybe I should have tried fixing the distortion in PS. Next time I need to do this type of shot, I'll know what needs to be done (in camera and in post).
05-05-2011, 09:39 PM   #360
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sharing: Not. (Nikon 180 f/2.8)

The 3-year old understands the concept of sharing fully, and is in complete agreement that it's an important aspect of toddler society. Except when he's supposed to share his stuff. Then all bets are off.

(16-month old is bringing the case to dad here)

All at f/3.5