Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 04:30 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Pentax could learn a few things from this

Maybe not about "translucent mirror technology", but about digital marketing. I don't think Ned's blog is gettting the job done- at least not in terms of attracting new users to the brand. Regardless of what you think about the Sony video, it is certainly better than Pentax's last attempt:

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_hjKijLOj9s[/YT]

Last edited by JamieP; 08-25-2010 at 04:33 AM. Reason: fixed YouTube link
08-25-2010, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #17
Inactive Account

Man...the group on this site are a bunch of conservative old farts. I think Sony's new cams are very cool and interesting and look forward to seeing one in person and trying it out.

c[_]
08-25-2010, 05:03 AM   #18
juu
Veteran Member

I probably won't buy one as I don't like Sony much, but they are certainly intriguing cameras and end up being quite light and small, like Pentax DSLRs.

To dismiss them off-hand seems quite shortsighted.
08-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #19
emr

I'm also pretty excited in seeing what these cams can really do. Especially the possibility of using A mount glass is a plus. If I was a Sony user to begin with, I'd be probably standing in the queue already. Something a bit similar from Pentax to use my DA limiteds with and I might be VERY interested.

Actually, on another non-English-speaking forum a known pro mentioned that other camera manufacturers would bring something similar out BEFORE Photokina. He didn't go into specifics (probably under NDA), but I know he has connections and has previously tested for example Olympus µ4/3 cameras prior to release.

08-25-2010, 05:22 AM   #20
DAP

Sounds like Sony just borrowed/tweaked the idea from Canon (Pellix mirror).
08-25-2010, 05:35 AM   #21
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Man...the group on this site are a bunch of conservative old farts. I think Sony's new cams are very cool and interesting and look forward to seeing one in person and trying it out.

c[_]
Sorry I am only 27 but yes I am conservative. Nothing wrong with it, only that electronics giants like Sony & Samsung & Panasonic don't give a toss about "my species" looking at the way things go in camera industry these days I think one glorious day I'll end up with Leica...
08-25-2010, 05:37 AM   #22
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I see this being mentioned often. The truth is dat Sony was not allowed to use the name because Konica-Minolta still exists today as a manufacturer of various products (healthcare, optics, copiers, etc). They only sold their camera division to Sony, that's all.
Well than that's too bad for Sony. That name alone would have sold as much as their advertisement...

08-25-2010, 05:51 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Why are people bashing this? It looks to me like Sony has devoted much of their development efforts to improving their continuous autofocus system. That is one aspect of the Pentax system that users here frequently complain about.
08-25-2010, 08:21 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Slowpoke Rodriguez Quote
Why are people bashing this? It looks to me like Sony has devoted much of their development efforts to improving their continuous autofocus system. That is one aspect of the Pentax system that users here frequently complain about.
People hate what they can't have!
08-25-2010, 09:05 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For one the "sweep panorama" mode is quite unique and a revelation.

I use it with my Sony hx5v p&s and can get 180 deg panorama's (even with people moving) in an instant - perfectly exposed, no ghosting or overlay.

With the larger sensor I can imagine the results being even more stellar.
08-25-2010, 09:07 AM   #26

Well, it looks pretty nice, but I laughed my way through it. Why?
All that snow + No casing or weather sealing + Dropping it once=Nightmare.
Can a Sony even work in conditions that cold? I doubt it. They certainly don't have the ruggedness of the K-7.
08-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
That's what I kept thinking, too. I don't really see what the game changer is here. Seems more like a sensible evoluntionary step in the direction the market was already headed. Was all that killer ski footage even shot with the Sony? I know they wanted to make us believe that, but I didn't see where they ever supered that it was footage from the cameras being advertised.
08-25-2010, 09:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Well, it looks pretty nice, but I laughed my way through it. Why?
Can a Sony even work in conditions that cold? I doubt it. They certainly don't have the ruggedness of the K-7.
Funny, your comment got me to actually watch the video. I agree, if Pentax can squeeze some of the features from the sony camera into the rugged/sealed K-5 it'll be a winner hands down in my eyes.
08-25-2010, 09:53 AM   #29
Veteran Member

My full opinion about the new Sony SLT system here, with lists of pros and cons for these cameras.

For those that just want the bottom line:

The problem I see is that the SLT camera might be a solution to a quickly disappearing problem. As some of the latest MILCs have proven (such as the Panasonic G2 or Samsung NX10), contrast-detect AF can be fast, and is likely to keep improving with each new iteration thanks to its inclusion in the rising sector of mirrorless cameras. Once contrast-detect AF is capable of determining distance to subject, it will not only be fast, but smooth also. We may see cameras with such an AF system as early as this Autumn at Photokina 2010. When this happens, what will be the point of SLTs?

I expect SLTs to become a footnote in the history of modern camera designs, nothing but a stopgap solution to a short-term problem. I think Sony also believe this because they’ve maintained the same mount and registration distance, when they could have made the mount smaller for APS-C and shortened the registration distance by having the mirror slide to the side instead of flipping out of the way for sensor cleaning. I imagine Sony will release one or two further SLTs and then drop the line as the simple solution of MILCs takes over.

08-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #30
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
I think Sony also believe this because they’ve maintained the same mount and registration distance, when they could have made the mount smaller for APS-C and shortened the registration distance by having the mirror slide to the side instead of flipping out of the way for sensor cleaning.
I don't think developing a new mount for every new camera type is the answer. I assume they could've used the E mount, but I see no point in releasing another one. Cameras like this could sell pretty well to customers who have already invested in A mount lenses, but would have a reliability problem if incompatible: how long will this mount type be used before dropping it?

While many members think that the eventual assumed Pentax CSC (let's use compact system camera this time ) would gain from a shorter registration length, I think they should definitely use K mount. Quite a bigger number of Pentax users would get one as their smaller travel cam or something than users starting a new system from scratch.