Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2010, 10:16 AM   #31

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
I see this being mentioned often. The truth is dat Sony was not allowed to use the name because Konica-Minolta still exists today as a manufacturer of various products (healthcare, optics, copiers, etc). They only sold their camera division to Sony, that's all.
So what? It would be trivial to license the tm to Sony for use on cameras, and I don't doubt that Konica-minolta would have given sony anything they wanted for a few extra dollars. If sony arn't using the minolta brand it's because using a sub-brand didn't fit their marketing policy.

Sparkston

08-25-2010, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
While many members think that the eventual assumed Pentax CSC (let's use compact system camera this time ) would gain from a shorter registration length, I think they should definitely use K mount. Quite a bigger number of Pentax users would get one as their smaller travel cam or something than users starting a new system from scratch.
I'm sure that was Sony's thinking for the A33/55. Of course, they could afford to think that way because they already have a small MILC, sorry, CSC system in the NEX.

I don't know what Pentax will decide for their CSC, whether a new registration distance or just taking the mirror/prism out, but whatever they do, they have to think about the long run, not just the short-term sales. In 1-2 years time, if a first-time buyer is faced with choosing between a slim Samsung NX25 and a chunky Pentax K3M, what do you think they will choose?

08-25-2010, 11:01 AM   #33
emr

Miserere, I think that a small niche player like Pentax has to play by different rules than the camera giants (ignoring Hoya's muscle, because they won't focus all their resources in some miniscule part of their business). Sony, Canon, Nikon may think that in long run it's a better solution to switch mounts but Pentax is always the underdog which has to keep its few loyal customers satisfied. Piss them off and they switch brand.
08-25-2010, 12:51 PM   #34
Veteran Member

emr, I imagine we'll find out in less than a month. For my part, this is all I can say: if Pentax don't announce at Photokina the release of a slim MILC before the year is over, I'm buying a Samsung NX10 with the 30mm f/2 pancake and the upcoming small 20-50mm zoom.

I am a loyal customer, but I need what I need, and if Pentax doesn't provide it, I'll go elsewhere. But don't think I'm pissed off, just sad, because I know that Pentax could design a killer MILC system if it wanted to.

08-25-2010, 07:27 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
[I]The problem I see is that the SLT camera might be a solution to a quickly disappearing problem.
While we can appreciate the risk taking of these new cameras, I think they're flawed from the start. IQ is compromised by losing half a stop of sensitivity and potential problems with the fixed mirror (ghosting, dust). The Fuji solution seems much more interesting although it's not sure if this design will ever end up in a big sensor camera (ah if Fuji and Pentax could share some technology...).
08-25-2010, 07:41 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
While we can appreciate the risk taking of these new cameras, I think they're flawed from the start. IQ is compromised by losing half a stop of sensitivity and potential problems with the fixed mirror (ghosting, dust). The Fuji solution seems much more interesting although it's not sure if this design will ever end up in a big sensor camera (ah if Fuji and Pentax could share some technology...).
If there were any serious IQ compromises I doubt they would have bothered with the design at all. Incidentally, jpeg samples for the imaging-resource comparometer are available for both the NEX5 and A33, which use the same sensor, and the A33 does indeed have slightly higher noise at high ISO, about 1/3-1/2 stop worth. I suspect that's the only real compromise, and given how good these sensors are at high ISOs anyways, it's pretty much a non-issue. The question is whether you'd rather have a smaller body, 10fps with AF and phase detect in video (A55 is for you) or 1/3 stop better high ISO performance, bigger body, OVF, and longer battery life (A580 is for you).
08-25-2010, 09:21 PM   #37
Veteran Member

It dosen't matter at all what individuals want. It is all about what sells in large enough numbers to meet the return on investment. So Guy dosen't like pellicle mirror cameras, well he can buy a full DSLR. And for Buddy, the DSLR is too big, well he can but an EVIL. And hey look, for Friend, there is a camcorder that uses interchangable lenses.

Got to give kudos to Sony for being the only builder that has all the bases cover. The only product Sony is missing right now is the prosumer APS-C Dslr. The A700 is an antique. Do they still make them out of brass and oak?

I really don't like Sony products, but I am impressed how they went from the A100 to the massive lineup they have today. Sure it has cost them an arm and a leg, but Sony is redefining what an imaging company sells.

08-25-2010, 09:53 PM   #38
Veteran Member

There are a lot of rumors floating around that Olympus is going to use the same sort of translucent mirror technology in their upcoming cameras. Put that into something stylish like a PEN and Olympus will steal the show right from under Sony.
08-26-2010, 02:03 AM   #39
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
I know exactly what you mean.

I don't know a lot about Fuji as an actual company but I've often thought they'd be a very good buyer for Pentax should Hoya ever want to sell it on.

Fuji are technological innovators with good sensor know how and unique and effective technology. What they lack outside of the compact market is a decent vehicle for this technology. The Fuji S5 Pro was a good camera - a tad slow but unique.

Pentax could bring the mount, the lenses and the DSLR brand. Fuji would bring the sensors. Keep the Fuji brand for compacts and Pentax for DSLRs - it's feasible.
08-26-2010, 02:39 AM   #40
axl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
I know exactly what you mean.

I don't know a lot about Fuji as an actual company but I've often thought they'd be a very good buyer for Pentax should Hoya ever want to sell it on.

Fuji are technological innovators with good sensor know how and unique and effective technology. What they lack outside of the compact market is a decent vehicle for this technology. The Fuji S5 Pro was a good camera - a tad slow but unique.

Pentax could bring the mount, the lenses and the DSLR brand. Fuji would bring the sensors. Keep the Fuji brand for compacts and Pentax for DSLRs - it's feasible.
I was thinking about this many times and agree with you here.
But I'm not sure Fuji would keep Pentax as a brand... although it would be feasible as "line" name for their DSLRs so we'd have Fuji FinePix for compacts and Fuji Pentax for DSLRs... anyway, I don't think Hoya will be selling anytime soon but then again, I don't know much about it
08-26-2010, 02:52 AM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I was thinking about this many times and agree with you here.
But I'm not sure Fuji would keep Pentax as a brand... although it would be feasible as "line" name for their DSLRs so we'd have Fuji FinePix for compacts and Fuji Pentax for DSLRs...
I could see that happening - a la Konica Minolta only hopefully not so doomed

QuoteQuote:
anyway, I don't think Hoya will be selling anytime soon but then again, I don't know much about it
Neither do I. Although if Hoya's comments about electronic cooperation earlier this year were genuine then I could see colaboration between Pentax and Fuji in the future.

Irrespective of any Pentax connection I'd be very interested to know if Fuji has any plans in the APS-C sensor arena for the future or whether they've mothballed their DSLR plans.
08-26-2010, 05:43 AM   #42
Veteran Member

Not Pentax News or Rumor... moved to "Non-Pentax Camera..." forum
08-26-2010, 09:31 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Caat Quote
Irrespective of any Pentax connection I'd be very interested to know if Fuji has any plans in the APS-C sensor arena for the future or whether they've mothballed their DSLR plans.
Fuji has some great sensors and great PnS. I don't know that they have the clout to push through and be successful as a DSLR maker, regardless of how good the camera actually is.
08-26-2010, 09:45 AM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SMPhoto Quote
Well, it looks pretty nice, but I laughed my way through it. Why?
All that snow + No casing or weather sealing + Dropping it once=Nightmare.
Can a Sony even work in conditions that cold? I doubt it. They certainly don't have the ruggedness of the K-7.
If Sony want to do weather sealing, they'll do it to a substantially better degree than any other DSLR maker. Their experience of weather sealing consumer electronics is unmatched.

My big picture take on Sony's recent humongous leap is... Nikon moving to their own sensors.

Sony have said F-it, we're gonna use our consumer electronics muscles and shake things up.... and they've only begun.

Their lenses tested fairly averagely on photozone recently, but they probably don't care. I expect future Sony releases to have in-camera DXO-type correction on the fly.

As has been pointed out, the last decade hasn't given us much new other than increased FPS, ISO, and video. It needed someone to scare the others into innovation and I applaud Sony for doing that.

Without doubt, Canon and Nikon are scared. The future is all about processing.

The day is not far away when all a camera needs is an F0(ish) piece of protective glass, and the processor does the rest (with or without human intervention... up to you): zoom; in focus selection, graduated bokeh; stitching; noise; blah blah blah.

Within the next decade you will have all-in-one cameras that will give you F2 @500mm equivalent, 1/1000, ISO100K. At US$1K.

I love the now.. my children won't be young when this happens, and I'm happy to invest in lenses to capture what will pass. But the future trashes all our glass, but is none the worse for it.
08-26-2010, 09:49 AM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
If Sony want to do weather sealing, they'll do it to a substantially better degree than any other DSLR maker. Their experience of weather sealing consumer electronics is unmatched.

My big picture take on Sony's recent humongous leap is... Nikon moving to their own sensors.

Sony have said F-it, we're gonna use our consumer electronics muscles and shake things up.... and they've only begun.

Their lenses tested fairly averagely on photozone recently, but they probably don't care. I expect future Sony releases to have in-camera DXO-type correction on the fly.

As has been pointed out, the last decade hasn't given us much new other than increased FPS, ISO, and video. It needed someone to scare the others into innovation and I applaud Sony for doing that.

Without doubt, Canon and Nikon are scared. The future is all about processing.

The day is not far away when all a camera needs is an F0(ish) piece of protective glass, and the processor does the rest (with or without human intervention... up to you): zoom; in focus selection, graduated bokeh; stitching; noise; blah blah blah.

Within the next decade you will have all-in-one cameras that will give you F2 @500mm equivalent, 1/1000, ISO100K. At US$1K.

I love the now.. my children won't be young when this happens, and I'm happy to invest in lenses to capture what will pass. But the future trashes all our glass, but is none the worse for it.
I think it would be fun to bottle this up and take a peek back in a decade. It could all be true! Then again, according to Back to the Future 2 we should all be flying around to work and back, riding hoverboards and dressing like, well, ok like the 80s still. Interestingly, while there are no 3d Jaws 12 movies coming out, Piranhas 3D is hitting theatres shortly. Sadly the delorean had a short existence!