Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Game Changer?

The new sony a55 and a33?

08-24-2010, 08:29 PM   #2
Forum Member

The whole market is moving along at quite A pace these days! Sony has certainly led the way with getting phase af to work with live view on dslr's, and are agressively brining a lot of new tech to the market.
08-24-2010, 08:30 PM   #3
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Their worst mistake was changing the name from Minolta to Sony. Minolta had decades of recognition. Sony cameras are greatly overlooked, regardless of specs. A Sony store recently closed near me. Their TVs were good until they stopped being made in Japan. They don't impress me as a camera brand, and neither this commercial, nor any high end specs will make me buy their way too uniform and perfect looking DSLR system. They simply have no style. Sorry for the Sony bashing, but had to do it.
08-24-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
Forum Member

not sure that this one is going to be such a big deal. Strikes me as a bit of a half measure. although dp review have certainly given it a good wrap...

08-24-2010, 08:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

still, they are doing better than minolta did in its last days. Sony still brings kudos as an electronics manufacturer. A lot of new entrants into dslr land go for them...
08-24-2010, 08:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IMHO this is not a game changer. I am thinking about this in slightly different direction. It seems that the "world" (or may be "tech world") is indeed approaching a junction. The rather old SLR concept seems to be too tight for the minds of modern inventors and engineers. So, various concepts are being tried, be it a mirrorless m43 camera, an unusual concept from Ricoh where lens and sensor are a single unit, cameras such as Sigma DP series or Leica X1, and now this. Indeed, the list above is surely very far from being full. But my point here is that this is yet another attempt to divert from the good old SLR approach. Will it succeed? Will it lead anywhere? Only time can tell.

As a rather theoretical note tangentially off this topic - I had a pleasure to shoot briefly with Sony A850 and Minolta lenses. It was both pleasant as an experience and the results were good. Given Minolta glass legacy, Zeiss involvement and Sony financial base I say that if Sony want to, they can rise to the very heights of this business. It only remains to be seen for how long they will be following up...
08-24-2010, 09:04 PM   #7
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
read the review of the A55 at dpreview.com they seem to like the concept.
Sony SLT-A55 Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

08-24-2010, 10:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great concept for Videographers, not for photographers
08-24-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
ogl
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by techmulla Quote
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/1155130-post35.html

Last edited by ogl; 08-25-2010 at 01:10 AM.
08-24-2010, 11:21 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Their worst mistake was changing the name from Minolta to Sony. Minolta had decades of recognition. Sony cameras are greatly overlooked, regardless of specs. A Sony store recently closed near me. Their TVs were good until they stopped being made in Japan. They don't impress me as a camera brand, and neither this commercial, nor any high end specs will make me buy their way too uniform and perfect looking DSLR system. They simply have no style. Sorry for the Sony bashing, but had to do it.
What are you talking about, this is the first DSLR that I've actually thought looked not like a piece of melted crap!
08-24-2010, 11:33 PM   #11
Pentaxian

This isn't a DSLR IMO.
08-24-2010, 11:54 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thibs Quote
This isn't a DSLR IMO.
Sony call it a DLT.

The problem with it is that it solves what is a minor problem using an imperfect solution. The addition of an extra glass element is a negative although this is what gives the camera its positives.

Ultimately this is a transitional design that only requires the development of CD AF with the speed of PD to render the design obsolete.

It's a neat idea but I can't see this system as being developed much further.
08-24-2010, 11:56 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yes, it's a SLT camera - Single Lens Transflection Translucent
08-25-2010, 12:30 AM   #14
axl
Veteran Member

I did have a look at it on DPR. Don't know what to think of it. It's like prosumer bridge type camera that has AF and lens system of DSLR. For some it may be of interest but thanks I'll pass...

On a side note, I think Sony would have done much better in DSLR world (especially with FFs) had they kept Minolta brand name. The same way Hoya did with Pentax. Heck I probably would have been with them now...
08-25-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
On a side note, I think Sony would have done much better in DSLR world (especially with FFs) had they kept Minolta brand name. The same way Hoya did with Pentax. Heck I probably would have been with them now...
I see this being mentioned often. The truth is dat Sony was not allowed to use the name because Konica-Minolta still exists today as a manufacturer of various products (healthcare, optics, copiers, etc). They only sold their camera division to Sony, that's all.