Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-15-2010, 10:37 AM   #61
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
BTW, did you ever get out and do some shooting with your Chamonix yet?

Steve
Yes sir indeedy! I haven't shot any 4x5 just yet, but I've been using my 6x9 horseman back a bit. I desperately need a 90mm though because my 125mm Fujinon is not quite as useful on medium format. I've shot a few macro landscapes, but I dare not share them(pretty bad )! I also shot some yesterday and dropped the film off this morning, we'll see if I did any better. I've also got a few shots here and will be posting a few more when I get a chance. Prints are really nice from 6x9 and I can't wait to do some 4x5.

10-15-2010, 11:41 PM   #62
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
Yes sir indeedy! I haven't shot any 4x5 just yet, but I've been using my 6x9 horseman back a bit. I desperately need a 90mm though because my 125mm Fujinon is not quite as useful on medium format. I've shot a few macro landscapes, but I dare not share them(pretty bad )! I also shot some yesterday and dropped the film off this morning, we'll see if I did any better. I've also got a few shots here and will be posting a few more when I get a chance. Prints are really nice from 6x9 and I can't wait to do some 4x5.
Cool! I remember the sh0ts on the film photo thread, but did not notice that they were from the Chamonix. Good work!

Steve
10-18-2010, 08:31 PM   #63
Inactive Account

Thanks Steve. It's the most challenging photo equipment I've ever used. However, when it all comes together the results are totally worth it. I'm sure you can relate.
10-19-2010, 08:56 AM   #64
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Vertex Ninja Quote
I'm sure you can relate.
Oh, yeah...I can definitely relate...

Steve

10-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
8X10 would indeed be awesome for my requirments, but I guess I should have put 'ease of use' as a requirment as well. In fact after getting used to histogram shooting
A one-degree spot meter pretty much lets you know where you stand like a histogram readout. And for landscape, speed of use is rarely an issue.
10-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
for landscape, speed of use is rarely an issue
Are you high?

For me Landscape photography is a mad race to capture the fast changing light as the sun rises or goes down. And I really don't notice the difference in speed between 8X10 and 4X5 i'm pretty quick with either format. Probably because I started using large format camera at a younger age than most, Double sided film holders help considerably.
10-20-2010, 10:23 PM   #67
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Are you high?

For me Landscape photography is a mad race to capture the fast changing light as the sun rises or goes down. And I really don't notice the difference in speed between 8X10 and 4X5 i'm pretty quick with either format. Probably because I started using large format camera at a younger age than most, Double sided film holders help considerably.
I was referring to speed of use of a one-degree spot meter for a landscape shot. Not the setup time to take a shot with a view camera.

10-21-2010, 04:29 PM   #68
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I was referring to speed of use of a one-degree spot meter for a landscape shot. Not the setup time to take a shot with a view camera.
you can cheat and use a digital SLR for this these days, I usea a pentax spotmeter and a classic Weston light meter, but I can usually eyeball my exposures with decent accuracy.
10-21-2010, 05:31 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
you can cheat and use a digital SLR for this these days, I usea a pentax spotmeter and a classic Weston light meter, but I can usually eyeball my exposures with decent accuracy.
Many of my seascape shots, for example, I use a 9-stop ND filter plus a colored filter for long exposures (BW film). Turning that dial on a Pentax Spotmeter V makes for quick and easy stop counting. I actually enjoy metering my own scenes. It is part of the picture taking process for me. And I often intentionally place areas to accent black for drama instead of having that perfect "histogram" where there is detail present in all values. So that one-degree works out well for me for that.
10-21-2010, 07:30 PM   #70
Inactive Account

Many of my seascape shots, for example, I use a 9-stop ND filter plus a colored filter for long exposures (BW film). Turning that dial on a Pentax Spotmeter V makes for quick and easy stop counting. I actually enjoy metering my own scenes. It is part of the picture taking process for me. And I often intentionally place areas to accent black for drama instead of having that perfect "histogram" where there is detail present in all values. So that one-degree works out well for me for that.
I need to get one! I've used my dads Pentax spot meter and it's great. Very fast workflow, faster than using my K10D or my MZ-S's meter IMO. 1 degree seems much more accurate too.
01-05-2011, 04:24 AM   #71
Veteran Member

So, the OP went Sony or Canon 5dII ?
01-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #72
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
So, the OP went Sony or Canon 5dII ?
Neither....I just bougt the K-5 and I most likely will be returning that and just keep my K-7 (The K-5 low light AF and flash exposure is vexing me). The k-7 may not do high iso very well or may not have the best DR out there, but what it does is, it gives me consistant results every time I shoot with it.
01-05-2011, 03:30 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Interesting.
Give up on FF camera?
01-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #74
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
Neither....I just bougt the K-5 and I most likely will be returning that and just keep my K-7 (The K-5 low light AF and flash exposure is vexing me). The k-7 may not do high iso very well or may not have the best DR out there, but what it does is, it gives me consistant results every time I shoot with it.

interesting, I upgraded to the K7 but I still use a K10 for a majority of my macro,portraiture and landscape photography. I use the K7 for sports and birding.

I plan on getting a 645D later this year.
01-06-2011, 03:25 AM   #75
Veteran Member

I have the k-7 for birds and macro at the moment with the FA*400 and I'm reducing my lenses since I don't have time now to play more

Either way, in one year ... maybe one and a half I will be having more free time and I'm studying the possibility of getting, by then, a canon 5dII plus 17-40/4 for landscape and 85/1.8 for family candids and portraits, that's why I got into this thread.

Seems that after all 5dII is not "good" ?