Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #1

Any Zenit/Helios Know-alls?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

So I'm looking at this camera and lens on Ebay
ZENIT 122 Russian SLR Camera KMZ EXCELLENT+++ - eBay (item 200516786538 end time Sep-13-10 12:32:35 PDT)

10 days ago a ordered a 122k with Helios 44k-4. Now from what I understand that body and lens are K mount and thus was a huge buying point for me. However I am now considering buying the camera in the link. I have a few questions, maybe one of you can help me. The camera and lens shown are M42 mount correct? I'm assuming that by the M designation on the lens. What I also noticed is the number 6 after 44M, which designates that the lens is a newer design than the 44k-4 that I ordered, correct?

Now, my last question is, when using the Helios 44M-6 on a Pentax ME or P3 (with the appropriate adapter), would I need to stop down meter or manually meter? Or is that only for digital bodies? I ask because the condition of the body and lens are superior to the one I already purchased (and cheaper *boo*) and I would also like the added benefit of the better multi-coating on the 44M-6.

Last edited by Skullsroad; 09-08-2010 at 08:06 PM.
09-09-2010, 07:37 AM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here are your answers:
  • The camera and lens are M42 mount
  • The M on the lens indicates auto-aperture
  • The MC on the lens indicates multi-coated
  • The series numbers on Russian lenses are not a reliable indication of improvements or newness. The 44M-6, however, is one of the newer designs and is reported to have somewhat better optical performance that other Helios 44 variants.
  • To use the Helios 44M-6 on your K-mount cameras, you will need an adapter (duh) and you will also need to alter the lens such that the silver aperture-actuator pin is always in the depressed position. There are a couple of threads here on PF describing how to do this.
  • Adapted M42 lenses always meter in stop-down mode on K-mount cameras. Depending on camera model, this may be done in Av or M modes.
  • The camera and lens for this listing, while described as new, were both made in 1991. The first two digits of the serial number are the year of manufacture.
Finally:
  • The photos supplied for eBay items should be used with caution when determining the condition of an item. Often times the sellers use stock photos or reuse the same photo for multiple similar items. This is particularly true for vendors of FSU and Russian cameras and lenses.

Steve

P.S. For what it is worth, I would stick with your 122K and 44K combo if it were me...
09-09-2010, 08:45 AM   #3

Original Poster
That was a beautiful post Steve.

Last night I found this link:
Helios differences (Page 1) - Manual Lens: Usage - Manual Focus Forum

It covered a lot of points you brought up Steve. I found the modifying part particularly interesting and I think it would be a good reference for others seeking to do the same thing.

Well, based on the info I found and your post Steve, I'm passing on the camera. My 122k arrived in NY on the 2nd so I'm wondering why it hasn't moved since then. Crossing my fingers.
09-09-2010, 04:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
By the way, have you, Steve, or any other forum members, ordered something from over seas? I called USPS and asked why my packages is stuck in NY and they said it is being held at customs with no estimated release date. What is the average waiting period for this? Its been in the states for about 8 days now. Do they think I'm supplying more Russian spies??!!

09-09-2010, 06:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I have had stuff sent to me from outside the U.S. and had no problems with customs. Usually the wait is only a day or so. It may be that the holiday weekend is causing some additional delay in your case. Now let's just hope that there will not be any duty assessed.

Steve

(Probably no duty...got you worried though didn't I )
09-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #6

Original Poster
Cruel....so cruel....

So my package sitting in NY for 8 days is out of the ordinary?

I just bought a Zenit TTL with a 44M on it to hold me off until then. It was only $30 and is shipping from MN! Looks to be a first edition, so 1977 or so. Silver body. The lens is uncoated I'm sure but it'll be fun none the less.
09-10-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Skullsroad Quote
Cruel....so cruel....

So my package sitting in NY for 8 days is out of the ordinary?

I just bought a Zenit TTL with a 44M on it to hold me off until then. It was only $30 and is shipping from MN! Looks to be a first edition, so 1977 or so. Silver body. The lens is uncoated I'm sure but it'll be fun none the less.
The Helios 44 lenses are always coated, but not multi-coated unless labeled as such. I have a 44M and like it a lot. It has eight aperture blades and also has the A/M switch making for much easier use with a K-mount adapter.

Steve