Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What do you think about the E-5?

Now that the E-5 has been officially announced, I was wondering what those that are Oly inclined (No bashers) think about it.

While on paper it seems rather blah, It remains to be seen what that new image processor can really do.

To me it seems like this will likely be Oly's last Pro-level DSLR. My guess is that their next Pro-body will be mirrorless.

09-15-2010, 05:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It's funny how Pentax fans rant and rave on about FF yet Olympus seems to be sticking with 4/3....weird!
09-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree... I think it's a courtesy camera for the Olympus faithful.

Olympus have lost the DSLR race, but they're near the front of the pack in the EVIL race...
09-15-2010, 12:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lurchlarson Quote
While on paper it seems rather blah, It remains to be seen what that new image processor can really do.
DPR seems to think the "new" sensor is the same one as the latest Pen. I can't see how 4/3 will ever match APS-C in noise and DR.

09-15-2010, 12:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
DPR seems to think the "new" sensor is the same one as the latest Pen. I can't see how 4/3 will ever match APS-C in noise and DR.
DPreview staff asked Olympus directly, and were told there was no DR improvement over the PEN: Re: Olympus E-5 professional DSLR announced and previewed: News Discussion Forum: Digital Photography Review
09-15-2010, 12:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It looks like a camera they were committed to delivering. It doesn't seem to do much other than keep their name in the market. The phrase "Too little, Too late" springs to mind.
09-15-2010, 01:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote

Olympus have lost the DSLR race, but they're near the front of the pack in the EVIL race...
Yes indeed.

09-15-2010, 01:42 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Hard to think anything constructive about a camera body with 2X crop factor and pre-yesterday's on-paper performance... 1700$... If Pentax's marketing dep. is really hard on grass... Oly's marketing got to be into mushrooms...
09-17-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote

I think that statement sums it up quite well. Perhaps they really are working on a cross-over camera that will accommodate both 4/3 and m4/3 lenses (not sure how that would work!) - that would be quite interesting (I think the dpreview comments indicated this was in the works). Standard 4/3 still has a market with ultrafast compact zooms that aren't really rivaled by any other maker, but it is clear they are planning on a new direction for the 4/3 mount; the e-5 appears to be a stop-gap until then, nothing more.
09-17-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
It looks like a camera they were committed to delivering. It doesn't seem to do much other than keep their name in the market. The phrase "Too little, Too late" springs to mind.
Can't help but agree. That said, the E3 was and still is a really nice camera to shoot with; I can only imagine the E5 is more of the same. Not something if you are chasing the best performance, but a nice, solid, well thought out DSLR.
09-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hear that the Zukio zooms are without equal. I'm sure that the E-5 is a fine camera and capable of nice images, but it's ashamed that the zooms don't have a body worthy of them. If Oly is committed to EVIL, they should at least license their zoom formulas to Pentax for the next generation DA*...
09-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
Perhaps they really are working on a cross-over camera that will accommodate both 4/3 and m4/3 lenses (not sure how that would work!) - that would be quite interesting (I think the dpreview comments indicated this was in the works).
Mumblings about a modular Oly camera have been going around for a while. I've always thought it was a good idea anyhow.
09-17-2010, 08:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree that this is probably a final nod to the Olympus faithful. However, the 1600 iso is really good for a 4/3 sensor. Something about the new image processing.

Does anyone know if the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter keeps the AF speed of the original sensor?

Also the Zuiko zooms are without equal. Sharp as a tack.