Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2010, 06:20 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Nice!!!! This is how you design and market a product.... I can only imagine a dialogue between one of the Nikon's managers and a supplier:

-Hey Joe... do you remember these 150K D300 viewfinders we've ordered from you a few years back at 25$ a piece?

-Yes Moe...

-Great... we are gonna need a repeat on that... about 2M this time... for the D7000 and we gonna only pay 5$ each since all your tooling is done and paid... are you up for the job?

-It's done Moe...

They pouring cash into development of high-end stuff and by the time these developments hit the mainstream market, it has already been tested in the worst possible conditions and updated/corrected... I bet that D7000's development was peanuts for Nikon... They simply re-fitted most of D300's internals into an updated, smaller body and a new sensor... this is nothing in design world...

And anybody noticed the AI-lever? That's about what 30-40 years worth of MF glass?

Pre-ordering mine....

Hoya's marketing is really strong... on smoking grass...

09-15-2010, 06:30 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Pre-ordering mine....

Hoya's marketing is really strong... on smoking grass...
Not quite sure what you're implying here on the design aspect of things, but since Pentax used an existing body(K-7) to house the K-5, I'm pretty sure they saved themselves a good deal on manufacturing

Other than that, I would never pre-order anything before it was thoroughly tested. As with everything else in this industry, things always look their best on paper. But it's in the field that most of the reality behind the designs manifest themselves.

FTR. I would choose the extra FPS, weather resistance and in body SR for a few more dollars over the competition.
09-15-2010, 06:31 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
As a long time Nikon/fuji shooter I can attest to the value of in body SR
Anything under 1/160s will benefit from it.

Having tried both systems I can honestly say the results are literally night and day. I can't count the no. of times I find myself shooting under 1/80s with SR doing its thing.
Well... I can't count a number of times when I found my self shooting a 300mm lens at 1/200th.... and I had to use a monopod anyways... because SR is ineffective over 1/120th... So i'm with stupid who said that SR is overrated... just as WR is....
09-15-2010, 06:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well... I can't count a number of times when I found my self shooting a 300mm lens at 1/200th.... and I had to use a monopod anyways... because SR is ineffective over 1/120th... So i'm with stupid who said that SR is overrated... just as WR is....
That's a very specific condition. Though hardly relevant to mainstream shooting. Think about it... studio, street, hiking etc.

Which only goes to show that a camera can't please everyone. Though that doesn't mean it can't please a majority

09-15-2010, 07:00 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Other than that, I would never pre-order anything before it was thoroughly tested. As with everything else in this industry, things always look their best on paper. But it's in the field that most of the reality behind the designs manifest themselves.

FTR. I would choose the extra FPS, weather resistance and in body SR for a few more dollars over the competition.
Since I couldn't pass up the opportunity of selling my D90 (which b.t.w. owned all Pentax bodies I had before, including K7, doggy style) at a good price before D7k announcement I don't have anything to shoot with right now... So I'm pre-ordering... Even if i'm not satisfied with it, i'll exchange it for D300s which will sell ~100$ more than D7K when it will become available... Which is still a lot more camera than K5 and K7 both together will ever be... and for a few more dollars there's D700...

On this I'll leave you drooling about FPS, SR and WR... these are very important in life after all...
09-15-2010, 08:34 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On this I'll leave you drooling about FPS, SR and WR... these are very important in life after all...
While I can see the good qualities of the D7000 this would not make me switch. Actually I don't think I would switch to any APS-C competitors there's just not enough difference in IQ and features. If the K-5 has the same sensor as D7000, it will have almost all the features and then some. Why then switch to Nikon? Only for lenses and FF is it worth the switch IMHO.
09-15-2010, 08:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Why then switch to Nikon? Only for lenses and FF is it worth the switch IMHO.
I think most of this is premature talk anyways
Besides... there going to be so close in price, it will really comes down to the nitty-gritty for most anyone.

New D7000 introductory price: $1499USD

09-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
While I can see the good qualities of the D7000 this would not make me switch. Actually I don't think I would switch to any APS-C competitors there's just not enough difference in IQ and features. If the K-5 has the same sensor as D7000, it will have almost all the features and then some. Why then switch to Nikon? Only for lenses and FF is it worth the switch IMHO.
+1. And as for lenses, I can't mount my FA77 & DA21 on a D7000.
09-15-2010, 09:27 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Looks like very nifty piece of kit!
09-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #25

Wow...that camera is value for money
Its very tough to compete against Nikon now.
09-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #26
Pentaxian

The D7000 has 1080p 24fps, but not 25fps for PAL? or 30(29.97) for NTSC? a bit shortsighted?
09-15-2010, 07:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
I'm starting to think that my second system will be this Nikon.

And my first system will be an FA77 with whatever body I have at the moment.
I'm going to go with 2 systems too...1 with my existing K10D and one with the K-5. I'm not spreading my LBA to another brand of glass... Me thinks my wife would take great offense to that... lol

Last edited by opiet70; 09-15-2010 at 08:06 PM.
09-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #28
Veteran Member

To compete with the market.

Obviously manufacturers knew others would design system based on the same hardware, therefore I think we are seeing the first signs of price war coming on. While I doubt Pentax will ever have the marks to compete with Nikon and Canon at this front, this might just drive prices so low that that most every Pentax owner will benefit from an upgrade.

As to how this will affect Pentax in the near future I can't say, but I am starting to have serious reservations about Pentax's future in the marketplace at this level of the competition. I can't say I've ever seen so such an aggressive year for competing products as this one.
Perhaps Pentax's K-x sales made the Canikon folks stand up and pay attention... roflmao
09-15-2010, 09:07 PM   #29
Veteran Member

And anybody noticed the AI-lever? That's about what 30-40 years worth of MF glass?
yes, got my interest...

When I bought my K10D I wasn't prepared to spend the double or more a D200 was in my part of the world which was needed to use my Ais glass with anything more than guesstimate metering. Recently I choose to grab a K7 instead of moving up to a D300. Have been happy with the K7 for the majority of the time but recent use at 1600ISO has me a little disappointed. Also, if SDM was robust, I'd already have a 60-250/4 and be in the line for a K5 when it appears. However, I don't have much in the way of Pentax lenses, so I still have a burning desire to use my 105/2.5 Nikkor... decisions... decisons... arrggghhh!! (in truth I won't be doing anything until both cameras are well reviewed by the general public)
09-16-2010, 12:50 AM   #30
Inactive Account

'Bout time Pentax made an F-mount camera...