Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-20-2010, 03:55 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
What a nice EVIL.
I think it is HVFL actually. Hybrid Viewfinder Fixed Lens...

09-20-2010, 07:04 AM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
lol
09-26-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wll Quote
What a nice EVIL. Very, very high ISO and a 2.0 lens to boot.
Knowing Fuji, I bet the sensor is out of this world and the colors pop in JPEG, the feature set looks nice too .. Hummmmmmmwll
I wouldn't clasify this as an EVIL camera. Evil camera's lack an optical viewfinder which is not the case with the Finepix X100. Although, you can switch between and OP and EV as you wish.
09-26-2010, 11:18 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I wouldn't clasify this as an EVIL camera. Evil camera's lack an optical viewfinder which is not the case with the Finepix X100. Although, you can switch between and OP and EV as you wish.
I agree with you. Few would call the X1 an EVIL.

09-26-2010, 12:30 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Hey, though, *now* it looks like someone's making a compact of interest to me.
09-28-2010, 09:45 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I adore this camera. I lust for it. If the IQ and color is as good as people seem to think it will be, it'll be a winner. F/2 lens? hell yes! I don't know what ever made sigma think they should put a 16mm F/4 prime as a fixed lens on a camera with the DP-1. 23/f2 sounds awesome.

I hope this is something other manufacturers will do. I've always felt this is the way a camera should look.

Now to see what the price will be.
09-28-2010, 08:35 PM   #22
Inactive Account

[arnie]It's naaard a EVIL.[/arnie]

09-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
[arnie]It's naaard a EVIL.[/arnie]
Leica thinks its The Debil.
09-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #24
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
I'm sorta fifty-fifty with you on that one. On one hand, I'd like to believe that some exec back at Solms is sitting, catatonic, in his chair with a copy of the X100 press release gripped in white-knuckled hands. Complete with secretary waving their hands and clicking their fingers in front of the exec's glazed eyes, saying "Herr Schmidt? Herr Schmiiidt?"

On the other hand, I don't think Leica's really competing with the X100. The X100 is a technologically advanced and practical camera. The main feature of the X1 is that it has the Red Dot™ on it. The main drawcard of the X1 is that it lets you say "It's a Leica!"

It's been that way for a while for Leica. They're not really selling to the hardcore photographer market, much in the same way Rolex doesn't really sell its watches to divers.
09-29-2010, 08:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This camera looks SOOO GOOD. Fuji has made some great optics. I keep waiting for full-frame (And more money, I'm a broke student) to go digital, but this might just get me to buy in....
It reminds me of my Ricoh rangefinder, which I love.
09-29-2010, 08:05 PM   #26
Inactive Account

What's Fuji most famous for?

Film. It would be extremely intelligent of them to make a film version of this (available outside of Japan) - get proactive about your film sales, Fuji! They've got to be one of the best-positioned companies to do this.
09-30-2010, 08:30 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
And HVFL is pronounced "Gimme, gimme now", right?

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I'm sorta fifty-fifty with you on that one. On one hand, I'd like to believe that some exec back at Solms is sitting, catatonic, in his chair with a copy of the X100 press release gripped in white-knuckled hands. Complete with secretary waving their hands and clicking their fingers in front of the exec's glazed eyes, saying "Herr Schmidt? Herr Schmiiidt?"

On the other hand, I don't think Leica's really competing with the X100. The X100 is a technologically advanced and practical camera. The main feature of the X1 is that it has the Red Dot™ on it. The main drawcard of the X1 is that it lets you say "It's a Leica!"
Hilarious!! I have no idea what the point of their recent cameras is. Just buy the Panasonic version, ffs. I don't think I've ever seen a digital Leica camera on the streets here in Tokyo, whereas you can barely swing a dead cat without hitting some young hipster shooting with a film Leica.

P.S. I dropped by the Fuji HQ again. That's the second time. This time at least they had a brochure (which does a good job of explaining the viewfinder). They told me that they won't have it on display until close to launch date.

Last edited by uccemebug; 09-30-2010 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Added not on dropping by Fuji's HQ
09-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #28
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote

Speaking of the Debil! Playing the Devil's advocate here. When I first saw this X100, I thought what a great camera. Then I thought what would folks here say about it if it said Pentax on the camera instead of Fuji. There seems to have been so much negativity here recently along with disappointment expressed by members with Pentax releases.

Personally, I would guess if this was a Pentax release it would be scourged ~6 page thread.
+too expensive ('what was Pentax thinking? OMG $1,000USD!, etc.)
+fixed lens ('what was Pentax thinking? OMG $1,000USD for a fixed lens)
+too small
+too big
+not FF (do I really need to elaborate on this one?)
+too much a niche (and XYZ camera is so much better for less than OMG $1,000 USD)

I say this all in jest. I think the camera looks fantastic...but you know I am right that this is what would be said here if the camera was the New Pentax Kx-1 retro.
09-30-2010, 10:42 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Speaking of the Debil! Playing the Devil's advocate here. When I first saw this X100, I thought what a great camera. Then I thought what would folks here say about it if it said Pentax on the camera instead of Fuji. There seems to have been so much negativity here recently along with disappointment expressed by members with Pentax releases.

Personally, I would guess if this was a Pentax release it would be scourged ~6 page thread.
+too expensive ('what was Pentax thinking? OMG $1,000USD!, etc.)
+fixed lens ('what was Pentax thinking? OMG $1,000USD for a fixed lens)
+too small
+too big
+not FF (do I really need to elaborate on this one?)
+too much a niche (and XYZ camera is so much better for less than OMG $1,000 USD)

I say this all in jest. I think the camera looks fantastic...but you know I am right that this is what would be said here if the camera was the New Pentax Kx-1 retro.
not really. it is more like what the Pentax I-10 should had been. look at what the complaints are with the Pentax I-10, it is exactly what is missing or needed for it.

if you look at the rangefinder forums, they are even complaining some of the components that are missing on the Leica X-1. mind you that it's Leica, and not Pentax. so brand doesn't play a role with this camera. it's more on what it can offer.
10-01-2010, 01:49 AM   #30

People interested in this camera might want to take a look at this thread, as there's a more substantial discussion going on there:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/non-pentax-cameras-canon-nikon-etc/115018...ot-pentax.html