Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #31
MSM
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
not really. it is more like what the Pentax I-10 should had been. look at what the complaints are with the Pentax I-10, it is exactly what is missing or needed for it.

if you look at the rangefinder forums, they are even complaining some of the components that are missing on the Leica X-1. mind you that it's Leica, and not Pentax. so brand doesn't play a role with this camera. it's more on what it can offer.
I am not sure what you mean with the I-10 reference. Totally different class. Yes, people wish it kept the form and price and could mount the small pancake primes. But, my point is that on this and several threads members are all glassy eyed over a camera that if it were a Pentax would not except their own lenses. This alone would cause hugh angst.

10-01-2010, 09:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
I am not sure what you mean with the I-10 reference. Totally different class. Yes, people wish it kept the form and price and could mount the small pancake primes. But, my point is that on this and several threads members are all glassy eyed over a camera that if it were a Pentax would not except their own lenses. This alone would cause hugh angst.
I understand what you mean in light of the Pentax brand, but in saying that, as long as they produce the goods, branding itself wouldn't matter. nitpickers will always be nitpickers, but they are not the buying majority. with regards to a product like the x100 and if ever Pentax made one, it targets a different market which is located in between a PS, rangefinder and dslr type need. it's no different from what Ricoh, Sigma, Canon and Leica are doing with their own portable fixed lens semi/pro type cameras. So far the Canon series are doing well, the Leica might be better in terms of IQ or ahead slightly of Canon, although I prefer the Canon because of the VF.

so those with huge angst could complain all day, it's their job. it doesn't affect the serious buying public.
10-02-2010, 07:31 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Speaking of the Debil! Playing the Devil's advocate here. When I first saw this X100, I thought what a great camera. Then I thought what would folks here say about it if it said Pentax on the camera instead of Fuji. There seems to have been so much negativity here recently along with disappointment expressed by members with Pentax releases.
I was interested at first, but when I looked into it I became quite glad it wasn't a Pentax. Because the technology seems to be a dead end.

It's not a single-lens camera. The optical viewfinder is not looking through the same lens as the sensor. It has its own lens, and some clever gubbins to try to compensate for parallax. As I understand it, the gubbins only works for a single focal length. Hence no interchangeable lenses, and no zoom.

Now people can talk about how liberating a single focal length is, and that's fine, but the crucial point is that the X100 wasn't designed that way for artistic reasons. It was designed that way because of limitations of the technology. We aren't going to see another model next year with interchangeable lenses or zooms. It's a dead end. It's not an EVIL, and it doesn't compete with DSLRs in the same way that EVIL cameras do, because it can't do the same things. It's intrinsically less flexible.

I think the EVF uses the sensor view, so that should be WYSIWYG. However, it's probably significant that they didn't have enough confidence in their EVF to dispense with the OVF. Basically, electronic viewfinders still can't hack it. If this camera is successful - and I expect it will be - then I think we might see newer models with zoom or interchangeable lenses but without the OVF. They might say it's the same, part of the same range, but the new model would be an EVIL which the X100 isn't.

So for Pentax this design would be a distraction which they can't afford. They'd be better off pursuing a proper EVIL design, or doing some other thing which would give rise to a new sustainable product range.
10-02-2010, 08:45 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brangdon Quote
I was interested at first, but when I looked into it I became quite glad it wasn't a Pentax. Because the technology seems to be a dead end.

It's not a single-lens camera. The optical viewfinder is not looking through the same lens as the sensor. It has its own lens, and some clever gubbins to try to compensate for parallax. As I understand it, the gubbins only works for a single focal length. Hence no interchangeable lenses, and no zoom.
No, it is not an DSLR and it is not intended to replace your DSLR. Rather, it is intended to be a second camera to your DSLR, one that is more portable and compact to use where your DSLR is not convenient or required.

QuoteQuote:
Now people can talk about how liberating a single focal length is, and that's fine, but the crucial point is that the X100 wasn't designed that way for artistic reasons. It was designed that way because of limitations of the technology. We aren't going to see another model next year with interchangeable lenses or zooms. It's a dead end. It's not an EVIL, and it doesn't compete with DSLRs in the same way that EVIL cameras do, because it can't do the same things. It's intrinsically less flexible.
See my previous comments, those seeking a DSLR or interchangable lens camera are not the target demeographic for this camera.

QuoteQuote:
I think the EVF uses the sensor view, so that should be WYSIWYG. However, it's probably significant that they didn't have enough confidence in their EVF to dispense with the OVF. Basically, electronic viewfinders still can't hack it. If this camera is successful - and I expect it will be - then I think we might see newer models with zoom or interchangeable lenses but without the OVF. They might say it's the same, part of the same range, but the new model would be an EVIL which the X100 isn't.
Your out in left field on this one. The marriage of an optical viewfinder with the digital overlay is excellent and the abilty to switch to full EVF to check DOF etc, is something even a Leica can't do.

QuoteQuote:
So for Pentax this design would be a distraction which they can't afford. They'd be better off pursuing a proper EVIL design, or doing some other thing which would give rise to a new sustainable product range.
Well, if Pentax were to introduce something like the X100, I would applaud them. I think the EVIL concept would be the distraction! EVIL camera's compete with DSLRs ...so they would be canabilizing their own sales.