Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2010, 09:29 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I think I'm in love !
If Fuji can get that thing to market, I think the X1 is in BIG time trouble.

09-26-2010, 11:19 PM   #17
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Leica has to be whizzing in their pants over this camera right down to the X100 part. :Hysterical: The optical EVG hybrid viewfinder blows the X1 out of the water at at least half the price. The Fuji even looks more like a classic RF.
Well, at least Leica's not a company that does something as gauche as release a hyperzoom bridge cam-

Oh. Wait.

Good lord, Leicaphiles will be seppukuing left and right at this.
09-27-2010, 09:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Leica did release another color option for the X1 at Photokina. That should show Fuji who's the boss. Hysterical
09-27-2010, 10:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Leica did release another color option for the X1 at Photokina. That should show Fuji who's the boss. :Hysterical:
that's it? a 1 year old camera and the best thing that they could do is skin tan? Pentax, what have you done?

09-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
Well, at least Leica's not a company that does something as gauche as release a hyperzoom bridge cam-

Oh. Wait.

Good lord, Leicaphiles will be seppukuing left and right at this.
Well, hey, I like that genre of compact, actually. If only they've gotten rid of the shutter and EVF lag like my ol' Lumix FZ-7 suffered from.

This Fuji, on the other hand is a thing o' beauty. *That's* a design I approve of.
09-27-2010, 10:58 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Once again, the Psychology of The Price Tag will probably play a huge part with a certain segment. I do believe the X100 is the better camera; a niche item but a properly-equipped tool, whereas the X1 is mostly badge. All hat, no cattle, as Bob Katter would say.

But look at the Fuji's lens! 10cm close focus, f2, and one of the most radical aspherical elements I've seen. Fuji's bloody well put some effort into it. It's high-end where it counts - ie, everywhere else other than price and logo. They've thrown photographers a very juicy bone.

But if it's $1000, a lot of the zealots will refuse to believe it's any good (which would be funny, since the very nature of the camera means it's easier to make than something like the 7D or K-5,) and that will unfairly bite it in the arse.

The tech-Nazis will be pissed at the fact it's got an OVF option, too.

Basically, it pisses off the hipsters and the traditionalists, and that's why I love it.
09-28-2010, 05:41 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I really like it. I hope it does well, The Fujinon lenses I have encountered were all stunning performers.

09-30-2010, 08:06 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I read somewhere that it's a Sony sensor, not a native Fuji one. Seems odd, but if it's true...and it's the same sensor as in the K-x, then, man, it might not only be small, fast, robust and optically great, but with a killer low-light BSI sensor as well.

Anyone got any more info on the sensor?
09-30-2010, 08:35 PM   #24
Site Supporter

I keep seeing it referred to as a "custom sensor." I don't see how it could be an off the shelf sensor and be used in other cameras and fit that criteria. Plus, it is a 12.3 mp whereas the K-x is 12.4. According to Fuji, the sensor was developed exclusively for this model. The X100 won't hit the market for another 5 or 6 months. I'm sure Leica will treat it like "Vapor Ware" until then.

QuoteQuote:
On the inside, Fujifilm has adopted a custom-made 12.3 megapixel, APS-C sized CMOS image sensor, with microlens positioning fine-tuned to match the characteristics of the X100's lens, reducing the severity of vignetting. The X100's sensor is coupled to a newly developed Fujifilm EXR processor. The pairing allows ISO sensitivity from 200 to 6,400 equivalents ordinarily, expandable to ISO 100 to 12,800 equivalents. Burst shooting is possible at five frames per second. Shutter speeds in the Fujifilm X100 range from 30 to 1/4,000 second, and exposure modes include Program, Shutter-priority, Aperture-priority, and Manual.
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Digital Camera - Preview - The Imaging Resource!

QuoteQuote:
12.3 Megapixel APS-C CMOS Sensor

• The FinePix X100 features a custom CMOS high-performance sensor, internally optimized and developed exclusively for this model.
  • Optimization of the angle-of-incidence in conjunction with the specially developed lens maximizes light gathering efficiency extending to the perimeter of the sensor for a sharper image with exceptional clarity.

• When shooting HD movies, the combination of the large-sized sensor and the large aperture F2 lens, lets users shoot a soft out-of-focus touch (bokeh) - a capability not available in conventional compact cameras.
  • The ideal combination of a fixed focal length lens, high-sensitivity sensor (approx. 10 times the sensitivity of a conventional compact*1) and a high-performance image processor captures exceptionally high-quality images over the entire sensitivity range from low to high ISO settings.
  • The high-speed CMOS sensor read-out and the EXR Processor's enhanced focusing system contributes to the high-speed AF performance, while the combination of the optical viewfinder and extremely low shutter time lag enhance the pleasure of every shot.
Fujifilm announces development of Digital Camera FinePix X100. | Fujifilm Global
09-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lithos Quote
I read somewhere that it's a Sony sensor, not a native Fuji one. Seems odd, but if it's true...and it's the same sensor as in the K-x, then, man, it might not only be small, fast, robust and optically great, but with a killer low-light BSI sensor as well.

Anyone got any more info on the sensor?
as far as the press release is concerned, is a custom CMOS that uses the EXR technology.

here is an excerpt from one article that explains what the EXR might do >>>

EXR Processor Newly Developed

* When combined with the high-performance lens and high-sensitivity sensor, the newly developed EXR Processor achieves the highest definition, sensitivity and wide dynamic range image quality of any digital camera produced by Fujifilm.
* Throughout development of the processor, Fujifilm has re-examined every aspect from response to the circuit structure, and achieved a significant leap in signal processing performance for a more responsive and faithful reproduction of the image.
* The graphical interface (style and rendering of the LCD information) has been upgraded in the newly developed LSI to enhance the user experience and to improve the clarity of the information presented.

from what is being said here, it has got to do with IQ optimization.
09-30-2010, 09:48 PM   #26
Inactive Account

I keep seeing it referred to as a "custom sensor." I don't see how it could be an off the shelf sensor and be used in other cameras and fit that criteria. Plus, it is a 12.3 mp whereas the K-x is 12.4.
Hmm. That info you've posted is more on the microlens array used to reduce vignetting, similar to what - heh - Leica used on their digi Ms. Very interesting to know, anyway, and that highlights one of the advantages of the fixed lens: you can tailor the sensor to lens, or at least compensate for inadequacies in the lens that might otherwise require you to use a larger/slower lens or expensive aspherical or high-refractive elements.

Judging from some quick googling, a lot of Fuji cameras use BSI sensors, so maybe they've just become so commonplace in the Fuji world they haven't thought to mention it.
10-01-2010, 06:56 AM   #27
Veteran Member

At some point, decisions, decisions: A new Pentax dSLR body, or this
10-09-2010, 10:08 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
I have made mine ...the X100 is on pre-order from Henry's in TO (Canada); my K7 will have to suffice for a while!

Mike.
10-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #29
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
I have made mine ...the X100 is on pre-order from Henry's in TO (Canada); my K7 will have to suffice for a while!

Mike.
There may be a 5 or 6 month wait on it.
10-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
There's no such dilemma for me. I have never seen a dSLR I'd buy.
But if I had the money I would buy this new Fuji in a heartbeat...

Chris