Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-21-2010, 10:02 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cheap Large Format Cameras

I'm considering taking a large format class at the local college but I need a camera for the class and I've blown my photo budget a long time ago. Are there any fairly inexpensive but usable large format cameras out there for cheap? I'm not sure of my budget but I'd expect maybe 300 bucks. I've been told that a speed graphic is not really what they expect for the class.

09-21-2010, 10:37 AM   #2
DAP

Too bad that they don't allow press cameras (busch, speed graphics, etc) as they are usually some of the best LF bargains around. I suspect that they want you to learn to use movements (press cameras have limited movements). In general you should be able to pick up an older basic monorail body for under $200. You would still have to get a lens/shutter (unless you luck out and one is included with the camera). Do they supply tripods or do you have to supply your own? In they don't supply them your going to need one (you can handhold the press cameras but your going to need a tripod for a monorail). You are also going to have to budget for film holders. I would head over to large format photography forum - they will be able to help you out as far as specific suggestions are concerned.
09-21-2010, 03:29 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hunt down some Toyoviews or it's older namesake Omegaview; standard rail and a 150mm any name you can afford lens should be more than enough...holders can be bought cheaply too set of 2 to start is good.
09-22-2010, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Super Graphics do allow for some movements but yeah, sounds like you are supposed to get a monorail of some sort. Look out for deals on Calumets, the CC400s go for dirt cheap often. FWIW, I paid around 400 for a Sinar F1 with lens and film holders, so if you can stretch your budget a bit you might be able to get something pretty nice.

09-23-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You should be able to find a decent one lens monorail kit for under $500. Sinar F, Toyo, and Calumet are regularly found in that price range, but usually not much lower since decent 130mm - 180mm "normal" lenses are seldom less than $200 by themselves. Be aware that you will be needing film holders. I would consider six to be a reasonable number allowing 12 exposures before you have to head to either the darkroom or the changing bag.

Regarding the tripod...think something like the old standby Bogen 3021. The tripod should be tall enough so that you will be able to view the ground glass without stooping (it gets old fast, believe me). It should also be sturdy enough to support a load of six to eight pounds. Provision to hang weight from the center column is helpful. Believe it or not, but a 3-way tilt/pan head is preferable to a ball head. Part of the view camera flow is leveling the camera in both vertical and horizontal planes. This is NOT easy to do with most ball heads.

Oh, for your convenience, here is the URL for the Large Format Web site and forum:

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

The link to the forum is towards the top of the page.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-23-2010 at 04:33 PM.
09-24-2010, 06:47 AM   #6
Banned

Original Poster
Thanks all.

I think I have a pretty bombproof tripod. Just need the camera and film holders. I'm going to check the places mentioned and see what I can find.