Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 05:52 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
The Sigma SA and EOS have a 44mm registry distance. Pentax is 45.46.
So you could mount it (assuming back protrusions don't interfere with other parts of the mount) but the focusing scale would just be wrong? Basically it would focus past infinity (however that works) for the first 1.46mm of focus travel, I suppose.

10-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
So you could mount it (assuming back protrusions don't interfere with other parts of the mount) but the focusing scale would just be wrong? Basically it would focus past infinity (however that works) for the first 1.46mm of focus travel, I suppose.
You can add distance but you can't take it off
10-02-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With the correct adapter, the focus scale would be o.k. along with infinity. That's why so many people use a Canon body for so many vintage lens mounts. The irony is that with exception of a few Canon FD-EOS adapters such as the EOS-FD macro which I have a copy of, they can't use their vintage FD and FL lenses and there are many excellent ones including some L glass.

The Sigma should be no difference in that regard for various mounts that have a longer registration distance.

Edit: One function of the adapter is to get the correct registration distance for that particular lens mount.
10-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
With the correct adapter, the focus scale would be o.k. along with infinity. That's why so many people use a Canon body for so many vintage lens mounts. The irony is that with exception of a few Canon FD-EOS adapters such as the EOS-FD macro which I have a copy of, they can't use their vintage FD and FL lenses and there are many excellent ones including some L glass.

The Sigma should be no difference in that regard for various mounts that have a longer registration distance.

Edit: One function of the adapter is to get the correct registration distance for that particular lens mount.
Yes I know, but I was asking because I'm under the impression that the Sigma mount is physically identical to the K-mount but with a shorter registration distance and EOS-knockoff electronics and contacts? So you could technically mount a K-mount lens straight on it, provided it doesn't have parts protruding into the camera, and the focus scale would just be wrong due to the changed register difference?

10-02-2010, 02:25 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes I know, but I was asking because I'm under the impression that the Sigma mount is physically identical to the K-mount but with a shorter registration distance and EOS-knockoff electronics and contacts? So you could technically mount a K-mount lens straight on it, provided it doesn't have parts protruding into the camera, and the focus scale would just be wrong due to the changed register difference?
The registration distance would be too close for k-mount lenses. If there was a zone that focused, it would vary by lens if it could focus at all. In theory, it may go beyond infinity. However, it shouldn't be much of a problem correcting the distance. It really depends on the metering etc of the Sigma body whether this body would be useful in this manner.

Edit: Here is a thread on this very topic. I would consider opting to setup swappable body mounts.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/941741