Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2010, 07:35 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone used one of these cameras?

I have a daughter who is a professional freeskier and also coaches. She called me recently and asked me about the Go Pro Helmet Hero camera that shoots stills and HD video. I had never heard of it before but just this fall, it is popping up in ski shops and outdoor outfitters everywhere. It's list price is $299 and it doesn't seem to be discounted anywhere. While their web site looks cool, I wonder if this thing is worth the price or if it's just a cellphone camera in a waterproof box.
GoPro Official Store: Wearable Digital Cameras for Sports

10-02-2010, 09:41 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Hero Camera

I have an early model I wear on my wrist for kayaking, it is waterproof, but the camera is very small and quality is not great. The best feature is that you can attach it to something: arm, helmet, etc. Shop around.
10-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #3
Zav
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jonhartz Quote
I have an early model I wear on my wrist for kayaking, it is waterproof, but the camera is very small and quality is not great. The best feature is that you can attach it to something: arm, helmet, etc. Shop around.
Is it a HD one or not? I have seen great results from the Hero HD.
10-02-2010, 10:13 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
No HD here, this one is over 10 years old...i gotta upgrade....

10-03-2010, 10:21 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
My main concern is the IQ. In the specs for the lens it's "F/2.8, 170 deg field of view and made of glass". There is plenty of info about mounting brackets, toughness, impact strength, waterproof to 180 ft and so on but not much in the way of normal specs we are used to seeing with digital camera/camcorder info. The sample videos show it to be a very wide angle, almost fisheye, lens and not always very sharp.
10-03-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Have you considered the weather-proof Optios?

Optio W90 Pistachio Green - Official PENTAX Imaging Web Site

It's really weather-proof and shock-proof (instead of just an acrylic case) and IQ should be very good, on par with the W80:

Hawksbill Sea Turtle por II MONKIE II, no Flickr

Because it got a handle on the body for fitting a thick strap, you can probably rig into a helmet.
10-04-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
For myself, I would be more inclined to get something like the Optio. As I mentioned in the beginning, my daughter asked my opinion of it and until very recently, I had never heard of it. This camera has become the new hot item with the extreme sports crowd. I think most of us would agree that the lens is the most important part of any camera. When I see a spec that just says "glass" and mentioned that it is "replaceable" and the kit is $20, it leads me to believe that this is nothing more than a cellphone camera in a fancy package.