Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
10-06-2010, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Canon PowerShot S95

It seems a reasonable choice for HD Video (720P) and "low light" performance (relative I know) when the DSLR is just not feasible.

Anyone own one? The reviews I have read are mostly very positive - but then again they all could be one person .

Appreciate any feedback an owner might have. What I want it for is an upcoming trip to Vegas. Something I can throw in my pocket for evenings out.

Thx.................Dave

10-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

Hi Dave,

My Missus uses a Panasonic TZ10 for HD Video and Low Light rock concert work and gets staggeringly good results

Photos
Flickr: Sue"Z's Photostream

And Videos
http://www.youtube.com/user/suez20001

I know nothing about the Canon but one of her associates uses a Nikon S8000 and struggles by comparison

Regards

MZ
10-10-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Tested the S90 against the LX3 back in May when I was looking to purchase either. After handling and shooting with the S90 for a couple of weeks, I liked the feel of the slippery little body and the overall results were very nice, but really liked the results of the LX3 much much better and opted for the Lumix. The S95 is about 99% the same camera as the S90.

Jason
10-11-2010, 12:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Just looked at the S95 in the camera shop - it is way smaller than the G10 or G11 like 2/3 in all dimensions. The Online Photographer posted a very favourable review a few days ago which got me to have a look at it.

10-12-2010, 01:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

For me, it's all down to size.

If I don't want to lug a DSLR, then I want something that fits easily in a pocket. The S90/S95 does, the LX3/LX5 doesn't.

So, while to my mind the LX3/LX5 are superior, they lose by virtue of size. The S90/S95 are the best pocket cameras available.
10-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ManixZero Quote
Hi Dave,

My Missus uses a Panasonic TZ10 for HD Video and Low Light rock concert work and gets staggeringly good results
<snip>
I know nothing about the Canon but one of her associates uses a Nikon S8000 and struggles by comparison
Regards
MZ
Thanks ManixZero - the shoots and video look good. It was a little more than I wanted to spend however it is not unreasonable. How is it in Auto Mode ? I don't mind tweaking settings but would like to set it to Auto and hand it to someone ....

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
Tested the S90 against the LX3 back in May when I was looking to purchase either. After handling and shooting with the S90 for a couple of weeks, I liked the feel of the slippery little body and the overall results were very nice, but really liked the results of the LX3 much much better and opted for the Lumix. The S95 is about 99% the same camera as the S90.
Jason
Thanks Jason - I am looking for a more compact camera for sure

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Just looked at the S95 in the camera shop - it is way smaller than the G10 or G11 like 2/3 in all dimensions. The Online Photographer posted a very favourable review a few days ago which got me to have a look at it.
Thanks Arjay - the choices are staggering .........

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote
For me, it's all down to size.

If I don't want to lug a DSLR, then I want something that fits easily in a pocket. The S90/S95 does, the LX3/LX5 doesn't.

So, while to my mind the LX3/LX5 are superior, they lose by virtue of size. The S90/S95 are the best pocket cameras available.
Exactly - size matters and my needs (well let's be honest here - wants) are for evenings out where I don't want to carry a DSLR .... simplicty is important as well -I want to be able to hand it to someone on auto mode and tell them to just 'push the button'.... HD video is a bonus ....

I picked up a Sony DSC W370 from Costco. After using it for a few days I am going to return it. It has some really cool features (Pano mode ) but shutter lag and very dissapointing indoor / low light performance.
10-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'd aim for the S90 or S95 if the convenience thing is as important as the images in low light...in which case I wouldn't look at anything that didn't have f/2.0 capabilities. From my experience with the S90, the noise reduction seemed a little heavier handed than I preferred as well. Shoot raw and keep the NR levels lower than default.

Jason

10-13-2010, 05:21 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A few days ago I purchased a Sony DSC W370. Pano feature is way cool , however after a few days of using it I found the shutter lag and AF dissapointing as well as image quaility at anything over ISO 200. I retruned it yesterday.

And then ...

First Impressions from a few minutes last night : Canon SD980 IS - $219.00 Cdn @ Costco . I left all settings at factory default for now (except turned off digital zoom what a useless marketing gimic).

Size - pretty small for my meathooks. However this is one of the features I was looking for. It's about the same size as my cell phone (HTC Touch Diamond) a little thicker.

Realy like the mode switch( from Auto / Program / Movie) being a slider on the top of the camera. When it's a jog dial on the side I almost always change it when taking it out of my pocket or case and have to check that (and usualy after a shot or two is taken).

I took a few indoor shots at night - flash went off - Auto Settings. Most pictures used ISO 640. I will have to say the quaility of the picture is far above that of the Sony DSC W370. Shutter Response and AF also seem quicker than the Sony

Tocuh Screen - seems very responsive. I do like the fact it also has a menu driven by buttons. Not too sure how usefull this is overall. So far the best 'touch' features I see are vertical shots , deleting pictures and a slide show or getting an index of pictures on the card. More time to see if I like this.

Conerned how the LCD will hold up - with it being a tocuh screen can't put a protector on it.

Took a quick video (720p) at night was pretty clear.

So more testing over the next few days - see how it performs in daylight. Try somne shots without flash indoors. I will also play with some of the custom modes. (although it has far fewer than the Sony) So far for me overall it's a much better camera than the Sony, and $10.00 cheaper.

The only features of the Sony I like better are the Pano mode was way cool , more custom modes and for my hands it was bigger - but PQ was an issue (some came out great in daylight , others not so much seemed random).

Lens is f2.8 and no raw support (no factory raw , however I think there are hacks out there) - not too big a concern as this is just a camera to capture evenings out or places where a DSLR are not appropriate or inconvienient.

Last edited by daacon; 10-13-2010 at 05:30 AM.
10-13-2010, 12:52 PM   #9

I picked up an S90 after my 7 year old canon P&S died last winter. I debated between the LX3 and the S90 forever, but finally settled on the Canon because it is tiny. I had the same rationale as many: it fits in my jeans pocket, weighs nothing, and I'll never leave it at home because its too big. The LX3 was *just* enough bigger that I could see myself debating about bringing it because of the size.

The S90 control layout is really sweet, too. The dual rings work very well, and you can assign a shortcut button to handle ISO. Arguably, it has better controls than many DSLRs. IQ is very good in good light; in low light, I think its fine until ISO 640 or so. Your tolerance for noise and detail loss may be different than mine.

People complain about the ergonomics. They could be better, but I'd rather have the small size than great handling.

I would buy the S90 again if I had it to do over.