Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-27-2010, 11:32 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
You are correct.
Every D7K image(RAW & JPG) I have seen to date seems nosier than the K-5.
However, whats more interesting is how hard the files are to clean.

Grab one and run it it through ACR or LR3 and see for yourself.
The D7K does not do nice with high ISO noise pattern atm.

Now to be fair, I was told that the new CNX2 does NR like Pentax.
So that remains to be tried.
I downloaded a trial on my workstation and I guess I'll be testing that sometime tomorrow.

That being said, as it stands, the D7K seems about 1 stop noisier than the K-5 when all is said and done.
I was reading on DPR's Nikon forum that CNX2 cleans D7k images better than LR3/ACR but still I am not amazed by the results from D7k above ISO3200 as I am with K-5.
K-5 images have something extra-its hard to define but one can feel while looking at it. Noise is very patterned and Uniform, colors, contrast, AWB etc all are superb.
I hope Pentax finds out some ways to reduced the price difference against D7k and then we can have a very serious competition.

Atindra

10-27-2010, 11:38 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
are these for real? they're pretty bad. i can probably get far better results from my k-x
10-27-2010, 11:52 PM   #18
Veteran Member

It really seems like Nikon targeted the K5 with their specifications, but they seemed to have dropped the ball in another area besides noise. If you really like HDR work like i do, you will know that for hi contrast situations, one really needs the 5 image, 2 ev separation that the k20, K7 and K5, not to mention the K10, provide. Nikon apparently limited the D7000 to 3 images so as not to draw sales from the D300 line. 3 images just doesn't cut it except in low contrast. I won't even discuss multiple images which D7000 doesn't have either.

If HDR doesn't matter to you, then its not an issue. HDR does matter to me so in 6months, i'm looking forward to a K5.

Interesting to hear the bit about the noise, but i already made up my mind :-)

Last edited by philbaum; 10-27-2010 at 11:58 PM.
10-28-2010, 03:46 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess Nikon wouldn't want the D7000 to perform as well as the full frame line either. They are willing to sacrifice the D300 in order to get people to buy into their line, but they still want reasons to encourage them to "move up" and to buy at least a D700 (for twice the cost of the D7000).

I am also wondering at this point if Nikon is making their sensor or if Sony is. If Sony is making the same sensor for the D7000 and the K5, you would think the image characteristics would be more similar than not. These look very different to me from the K5 images we have seen (even the un post processed one). It is just strange if Nikon, Sony and Pentax all release 16 megapixel cameras concurrently.

10-28-2010, 05:19 AM   #20
Veteran Member

How many different model Nikon have to manage

Here their line up Higher price to lower price and by class. This info is directly from Nikon site

Pro
D3X
D3S
D700

Advanced
D300S
D7000
D90

Amateur
D5000
D3100
D3000

They have to make sure that they dont kill a higher end model and also prepare for next generation of their replacement
10-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If people want to buy into Nikon and get a semi pro body they should wait until next year when the D400 or whatever will probably come out with a 16 mp sensor that performs better inside a non gimped body. I think the Nikon D7000 will turn out to be a fine camera, the expectations around it were just too good to be true.
10-28-2010, 08:02 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vancmann Quote
For one, I do because it is one of my other considerations as well as the K5. Why is the post here?? I am relative new on this forum and was not sure where to start it. Also, I wanted comparison to K5 stories to help me decide on the K5 or D7000 and not just Nikon specific.

BTW, your harsh reply goes contrary to "creampuff"

Moderators: If you decide this thread is in the wrong place, I wouldn't mind it being moved please.
...OR, before anyone goes and moves this thread, perhaps just add to the title "for consideration vs K5" (wait, is that possible? I think it didn't used to be, but I've been away from the forum for awhile and I'm rusty on the mechanics).

That's the intent of the thread, and as such I for one appreciated coming across it in the Pentax DSLR Discussion section. As I contemplate picking up a K5, I wouldn't have thought to go looking in the alternate brand section, but was pleased to see this here (especially since it reinforces my confidence in going with a K5, as I've got way to much K-mount glass to start craving a canikon. )

I like to think Creampuff's counter-eponymous gruffness was meant as dumping on Nikon, rather than vancmann, whose efforts with sharing those images and this thread I appreciate.

10-28-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
Veteran Member

All I hear is John this and John that. John John John John. (no offence John..... read on).
Its really not a miracle John does what he does. Pleas people, read a little of what he does. I do it differently and come to very close results. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Its very simple, use great quality software in moderation.
If you have ACR, use the chroma noise reduction, if you have Noiseware Pro, use its ability to blur smoothly, if you have Topaz 5 then use that on detailed areas. learn masking and layers and you are set. If you have basic photoshop knowledge you can do something close.
John John John John John...... go out and try some things yourselves, you might be surprised. Although John surprised me with his K20D work, It took me a little bit of time and effort to duplicate what he does with it. Same with some of the K-5 images.
Its simple, easy, fairly fast. The big miracle here is the fact the K-5 grain structure is so easy to manipulate into something usable.

I email John about some things, but I do not think he is some kind of wizard, Just very systematic and hard working. Good to learn from him,,,,, and he is trying to teach people.
No magic involved
Oh, and he is a nice writer.
10-28-2010, 09:05 AM   #24
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

imaging-resource samples available

Imaging-Resource has posted samples of the Nikon D7000:

Nikon D7000 Digital Camera Samples - First Shots - The Imaging Resource!
10-28-2010, 09:12 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Steelski Quote
All I hear is John this and John that. John John John John. (no offence John..... read on).
Its really not a miracle John does what he does. Pleas people, read a little of what he does. I do it differently and come to very close results. There is more than one way to skin a cat.
Its very simple, use great quality software in moderation.
If you have ACR, use the chroma noise reduction, if you have Noiseware Pro, use its ability to blur smoothly, if you have Topaz 5 then use that on detailed areas. learn masking and layers and you are set. If you have basic photoshop knowledge you can do something close.
John John John John John...... go out and try some things yourselves, you might be surprised. Although John surprised me with his K20D work, It took me a little bit of time and effort to duplicate what he does with it. Same with some of the K-5 images.
Its simple, easy, fairly fast. The big miracle here is the fact the K-5 grain structure is so easy to manipulate into something usable.

I email John about some things, but I do not think he is some kind of wizard, Just very systematic and hard working. Good to learn from him,,,,, and he is trying to teach people.
No magic involved
Oh, and he is a nice writer.
I think John Bee at this point has more experience working with high iso files from both the D700 and K5 than anyone else on the forum. I don't own either of these cameras (or the D7000 for that matter) and so his view is definitely more useful to me. obviously, he is not God and his opinion is fallible, but to me, it is useful, honest, and appreciated.
10-28-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
If people want to buy into Nikon and get a semi pro body they should wait until next year when the D400 or whatever will probably come out with a 16 mp sensor that performs better inside a non gimped body. I think the Nikon D7000 will turn out to be a fine camera, the expectations around it were just too good to be true.
This is probably correct. The successor to the D300s will be the true competitor to the K-5. I expect Nikon to fix any deficiencies of the D7000. Still, it won't have in-camera image stabilization, which is worth a bundle to me.

Rob
10-28-2010, 09:44 AM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David Whiteley Quote

That's the intent of the thread, and as such I for one appreciated coming across it in the Pentax DSLR Discussion section. As I contemplate picking up a K5, I wouldn't have thought to go looking in the alternate brand section, but was pleased to see this here (especially since it reinforces my confidence in going with a K5, as I've got way to much K-mount glass to start craving a canikon. )

I like to think Creampuff's counter-eponymous gruffness was meant as dumping on Nikon, rather than vancmann, whose efforts with sharing those images and this thread I appreciate.
Exactly and ok
10-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #28
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Those look terrible IMHO... K5 wins hands down.
Exactly why I am unimpressed with D7k, Pictures on K-5 are a couple of Stops better then a lot of Cameras I have seen in a long time. It's just too bad that Pentax put in such a small buffer.
10-28-2010, 10:22 AM   #29
rm2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Lover Quote
Exactly why I am unimpressed with D7k, Pictures on K-5 are a couple of Stops better then a lot of Cameras I have seen in a long time. It's just too bad that Pentax put in such a small buffer.
I imagine that when Pentax formulated their camera road map they carefully planed what features to leave out/in in order to make the upgrade path enticing. The K-5 is enticing enough without the large buffer. The next camera will probably dangle a larger buffer, and a few other things, in front of us, and especially, in front of the early adopter crowd.

But, we are getting off topic. any one examined the imaging-resource pictures I linked above? The 25600 pictures look like water color paintings when seen at 100%.
10-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #30
Forum Member

Canon and Nikon or Canikon are always tring to outdo each other, the Story I have heard on D7k is that Nikon put this out to Kill the 7D sales, it WAS NOT aimed at 60D, 60D is a lower Camera then D7k. And to add to that, Nikon may have rushed to fast to put out what would have been a superb Camera, but right now, Nikon has they're work cut for them, and time will tell if they can keep up with demand, or done themselves in!