Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2010, 01:11 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RolloR Quote
will your Zuikos fit (and autofocus) on a panasonic GH2 (and vice versa)?

Are you a tripod guy? If yes, you may want something with nice LiveView and a tilt/swivel screen.
They will fit and AF with either the Panasonic or Olympus adapter, but the AF will be slow as none of my 4/3rds lenses are CDAF optimised... Other than the 8mm FE, I'm pretty sure I'd sell the lenses I have.

12-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FWIW, I just ordered the GH2 with the 14-140. I chose it over the K-5 for a simple reason - while the K-5 is a step forward in still image quality over my K20d, the GH2 is a quantum leap forward in video capabilities over my wife's K-x.

I'll get a K-5 eventually, but I need much improved video now. I'm planning to add the Panny 20/F1.7 and a Novoflex K to M43 adapter in the near future...
12-22-2010, 02:09 AM   #18
juu
Veteran Member

Nice choice, johnmflores. I myself am holding out for a GF3 though.
12-22-2010, 08:47 AM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by juu Quote
Nice choice, johnmflores. I myself am holding out for a GF3 though.
That will be a short wait since the GF2 are projected to hit the shelves in the U.S. in January.

12-22-2010, 09:44 AM   #20

Photos: Albums
Oly & Panny micro 4/3rds glass work on each others cameras. Regular 4/3rds lenses need an adapter for micro 4/3rds. I shoot with an Oly E-PL1 and the 14-42mm kit lens and have been pretty happy with my results. You can see here:
j9fminor's photosets on Flickr
But I miss the more responsive AF, weather sealing, and selection of lenses I had when I owned a K20D, and am considering selling my Oly gear and buying a K20D. I have no experience with Panny but a lot of the folks on here Micro Four Thirds User Forum really like the GF-1 G1 ect... and Oly is supposed to come out with a pro spec micro 4/3rds camera in 2011. I don't think there is a measurable difference in the micro 4/3rds cameras. Find one that fits your shooting style and go with it...... I think I'm coming back home to Pentax....
12-22-2010, 10:25 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnny9fingers Quote
Oly & Panny micro 4/3rds glass work on each others cameras. Regular 4/3rds lenses need an adapter for micro 4/3rds. I shoot with an Oly E-PL1 and the 14-42mm kit lens and have been pretty happy with my results. You can see here:
j9fminor's photosets on Flickr
But I miss the more responsive AF, weather sealing, and selection of lenses I had when I owned a K20D, and am considering selling my Oly gear and buying a K20D. I have no experience with Panny but a lot of the folks on here Micro Four Thirds User Forum really like the GF-1 G1 ect... and Oly is supposed to come out with a pro spec micro 4/3rds camera in 2011. I don't think there is a measurable difference in the micro 4/3rds cameras. Find one that fits your shooting style and go with it...... I think I'm coming back home to Pentax....
How about the image quality, Johnny? How does the E-PL1 compare to the K20d? I've got a K20d and have a Panny GH2 on its way to me. I opted for that vs. the K-5 because I need video but am curious about still image quality as well...

thx.
12-22-2010, 10:58 AM   #22

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
How about the image quality, Johnny? How does the E-PL1 compare to the K20d? I've got a K20d and have a Panny GH2 on its way to me. I opted for that vs. the K-5 because I need video but am curious about still image quality as well...

thx.
I've been happy with the IQ, but everyone is different and look for different things in a photograph. I would expect the advantage would be with the K20D. I put together a set of some of my E-PL1 pictures on Flickr so you could take a look and see what you think.... Olympus E-PL1 - a set on Flickr

12-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #23
Site Supporter

thx.
I just got an E-P1 with 14-42 lens to replace my DA 17-17mm for work related events. I used it the day after I got it for an event and can safely say the IQ is up there with the K20d & DA 17-70mm combination for that kind of shooting.
12-22-2010, 04:58 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thx for the feedback fellas. I anxiously await the arrival of the GH2...
12-23-2010, 06:16 AM   #25
juu
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
That will be a short wait since the GF2 are projected to hit the shelves in the U.S. in January.
Well, it may not be literally a GF3, Panasonic may call it someone else. But I'm quite sure they have some proper GF1 successor planned (hopefully with a multi-aspect sensor), as the GF2, nice camera and all, isn't really one.
12-23-2010, 06:24 AM   #26
juu
Veteran Member

Also, here are my GF1 pictures:
Flickr

Mostly taken with the 14-45mm kit lens, although some are with the 20mm f1.7 or the 45-200mm, or even with the 14-45mm + 0.8x A-20 wide angle adapter.
12-25-2010, 01:55 PM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery

thx.
I'll jump in here as I own the K-7 and an E-pl1. The K-7, properly exposed, kills the E-pl1. In raw.
IMHO the E-pl1 kills anything on the market (and certainly the K-7) with even the default jpgs. They are beautiful (iso 200-800).

Edit: In absolute quality though (pixel peeping), APS-C beats micro 4/3. It is all a matter of realistic use of the images - I don't think an 8x10 is going to show much difference.

Last edited by Clarkey; 12-26-2010 at 08:18 PM.
12-25-2010, 10:01 PM   #28

Maybe I should hang on to my E-PL1 and buy a K20D with cash already stashed. I need a weather sealed camera to take out and about in the elements without worrying about damaging the camera by getting it wet, snowed on or froze in the cold....
12-26-2010, 12:54 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
With either kit you have too many lenses. Anything more than three lenses and all you will do is spend your time switching them.
12-28-2010, 08:59 AM   #30

I'd like to add to this thread with quite a similar question and hope that you can help me as well (by the way I really appreciate your unbiased views here so far!) - I'm also looking into both the GH2 and the K-5. However, my current situation is a bit different:

I own a GF1 with three lenses, the 14-45 kit lens, the 20mm/1.7 pancake and the 45-200mm tele zoom. While I'm overall very satisfied with the camera and the lenses, I have a few issues that make me think about upgrading (while keeping the GF1, e.g. for street photography). My main concerns are low-light situations (e.g. family events indoors with my niches and nephews running around but also city images in the evening/at night) and landscape with high dynamic range, e.g. glaciers such as on Iceland. Furthermore, the 45-200mm tele zoom is too big for the camera, so I avoid it most of the time.

While the GH2 would be a definite upgrade in these areas (as well as being a better fit for the 45-200mm) I'm not sure whether it may be still only minor and my problems with available light and high dynamic range situations could still persist. That's why I started looking around in other systems and I'm quite sure that the K-5 would be the best alternative (better than the Canon 60D or Nikon D7000) and i also like the Pentax company (my first two digital compact cameras where from Pentax). What I am obviously concerned about is the size and weight of the system. I once owned a Fuji s100fs bridge camera, which nearly weighs 1kg and I have to say, I did not really like the camera being that heavy. If I would buy into the Pentax line, I would probably just keep the 20mm and GF1 for street photography and would try to buy a similar lens set as my current for the K-5 which would end up in the camera+lens each being also around 1kg, right? Another aspect is the current price - how fast do Pentax cameras normally drop in price? Can I expect it to drop below 1200USD with the kit lens anytime soon?

Thanks for your help!