Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2010, 12:02 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

AF Adjustment experience on Canon and Nikon

For those dual system users I have a question. What is the AF adjustment experience like on those other systems? Is it more or less frequently needed? Do they limit per lens adjustment to the top end bodies also?

I am just curious since the only lenses I have not had to adjust on my K20D are the DA15, DA50-135 and my Tamron 90mm macro. I have had to adjust the focus for the FA31,43,77, the FA50/1.4, the F50/1.7 and the DA300. I have yet to fully evaluate my Tamron 17-50.

11-20-2010, 02:18 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I haven't even begun to adjust the focus of my lenses!
11-20-2010, 05:13 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My small Canon system (40D, EF-S10-22,EF-S17-55, EF70-200/4IS) is accurate as far as I can tell and needs no AF adjustment. The DA14 is the only lens in my entire Pentax system required AF adjustment and Pentax Canada took care of it (since I am using K-m). What I have found is that while both systems produce accurate AF in ideal situations, the Pentax system is much more likely to mis-AF with wides, or when the targets get small, or when the EV is low. The shift in sharpness can be really significant. At close distance, the Pentax can be mighty accurate though. This behavior poses extra challenge for AF adjustment which is best done near infinity.
12-12-2010, 08:02 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
This behavior poses extra challenge for AF adjustment which is best done near infinity.
This is good to know, thank you, as I have been doing all my AF adjustment near MFD.

12-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've performed AF adjustment on multiple lenses for both my K20D and Canon 7D. The process was fairly similar, though the 7D was easier using this approach. I'm sure it would be fine trying it with the K20D.

Most of my K-mount lenses did not require serious adjustment. The major culprits were the FA 50 f1.4, the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 (which is notorious for FF and BF issues, be sure to do yours ASAP), and to a much lesser extent the DA* 50-135mm. The latter two I no longer own (see below).

I have fewer lenses in EOS mount as I have only added the 7D within the past six months. Interestingly the same Tamron lens did not require as significant adjustments in EOS mount as it did in K-mount. I don't attach much meaning to this.

The lens that did require notable adjustment is the Tokina 50-135mm which is a sister lens to the DA* 50-135mm. BTW, now that it is sharp consistently, I prefer the rendering of the Tokina over the DA* just a little more.

M
12-13-2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

My buddies D90 misses the focus consistently by a decent amount with all of his lenses. For Nikon, do you just send it in to them with the lenses and they will fix it or? Does it cost any?
12-13-2010, 06:15 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
My buddies D90 misses the focus consistently by a decent amount with all of his lenses. For Nikon, do you just send it in to them with the lenses and they will fix it or? Does it cost any?
With a specific D90-lens combination, does it always miss the same amount and direction when it misses? Or is it all over the place?

12-13-2010, 06:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Few years back, I've tried D90 few times, and while I can't speak to it's back/front focusing with different lenses, AF was not impressive by any means.

D200 I have now is entirely different in terms of AF. It is very assuring, very quick and so far (only two lenses 180mm f2.8 and 35mm f1.8) is spot on, regardless of object distance or aperture.

Regards,
D
12-13-2010, 08:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by apisto Quote
With a specific D90-lens combination, does it always miss the same amount and direction when it misses? Or is it all over the place?
Im not sure, i'll ask him and report back. I just know his Nikon 50mm F/1.4 G? (its the nicest 50 other than 1.2) and the only other lens he uses the Nikon 20-35mm F/2.8 both miss the focus consistently
12-13-2010, 09:21 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback yeatzee and Duh_Vinci. Sounds like if I go through with my plan to give Nikon a try I should try it right and go with a D200/D300/D700. My eyes are so bad that I am terribly dependent on AF. And I am so frustrated with all facets of the K20D focus system. I know there is the K-5, which some people say have much better low light AF than the K20D. But a lot say the difference is not so huge, too. But if I do not try the Nikon system, which is consistently said to have so much better AF, then I will always wonder, so I might as well give it a go.

Duh_Vinci, would your positive experience with D200 AF extend to non stationary low light subjects, too?

Thanks again guys.
12-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Apisto,

To be honest with you, haven't had a chance to truly test it with that particular situation in mind... Some moderately low light with 35mm @f1.8 on the street moving subject - it is spot on.

Then again, AF system on D200/300/700 is very advanced and fully customizable to just about any particular situation: active focus point/s, size of the frame/size of the focus point, closest to the frame subject and list goes on...

I think you may find this article rather insightful if you have some time to read: Nikon AF Multi Cam

Regards,
D
12-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Miguel, thank you for your response. For whatever reason, I missed it before, I apologize. I read up some on the link you provided and it looks like some good info that may lead to more reliable AF adjustments for me. The funny thing is, on my K-mount lenses I have much more trouble with my primes needing AF adjustment, and not so much my zooms. I would have expected the opposite.

Duh_Vinci, I am seriously contemplating giving the D700 a try, so that link looks helpful. I will definitely have a learning curve with the new equipment if I go ahead with the D700.