Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I wholly understand your problem, and for the life of me I am always amazed by the inability of others to read and comprehend.

I hope you are interested in wildlife and birding, or perhaps sprots photography because you have no excuses on equipment.

You may wish to look at the used market for a good nikon ASP-C body comparable to the K10 or K20 in function and resolution. although those lenses are full frame, a cropped sensor will still work well.

As someone else noted, look at the Tokina 12-24 (same optical formula as pentax, my BIL had one which I thought was funny, spending all the money on a nikon body then putting a pentax designed lens onto it.) and a mid range fast zoom and you are all set.

out of curiosity, did you inherit any other lenses?
No other lenses. She mainly did macro work for competitions. She has lived in Canada her whole life and was quite talented. She won several compeitions, and I would suspect that is how she got the 400mm. She may have gotten it for birding, but I haven't had a chance to look into it. It's a monster of a lens. It really will be a severely limited use lens. Birds in Illinios are pretty boring, so it's doubtful that I'll do any of that. Seems like a fast lens for the length, so I may start going to midget or bantam class hockey matches and taking photos and just handing out cards to parents to try to make a few bucks on smaller prints. It'd really be the only use I could think of.

Trust me, part of me wishes it was a sellable lens. It seems like a true legend that just won't get used to it's potential. But it just seems like such a crap thing to do, and I wouldn't feel very good about it.

So it's those three lenses and "the last film camera they made before digital", which she said she bought in 1995 along with the 200mm Micro. She said all of them are AF, so I'm taking an educated guess at the body being the F90x, as it lines up with the timeline.

Digitalis, any reason for the D300 over the D700 or D7000?

11-26-2010, 10:12 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Oh, and I do realize they'll work on the DX frame. The reasons I was thinking FF was:

A. Why not? Going to a company that offers it, why not go for it. Compared to a D300, I could find one used for $400/500 more.

B. The 70-200 would be much more useful to me on a FF than a crop. 105-300mm would be quite limited use, and would put me in the same boat as the 400mm (which would now be 600mm).
11-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
Oh, and I do realize they'll work on the DX frame. The reasons I was thinking FF was:

A. Why not? Going to a company that offers it, why not go for it. Compared to a D300, I could find one used for $400/500 more.

B. The 70-200 would be much more useful to me on a FF than a crop. 105-300mm would be quite limited use, and would put me in the same boat as the 400mm (which would now be 600mm).
It all depends on your perspective (pun intended)

in many cases, while nikon offers full frame, for the longer tele's a cropped sensor is actually preferred, except in really low light.

If you consider the cropped sensor pixel count, and consider many times, unless you are really patient, you end up cropping down on the bird you photograph. As a result, you crop down less with the ASP-C sensor, and actually have more useable pixels than with full frame.

People go full frame for noise control, and for ultra wide angle, or simply because they can either afford to spend more, or believe it is a status thing. "i have a pro camera, I'm important"

as to your comment on birding, maybe you should open you eyes a little. See the attached link. To me the list looks pretty long

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_birds_of_Illinois
11-26-2010, 12:41 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I do a lot of band shooting, so high-ISO would be great, but so far, I've actually gotten pretty good results from the Kx.

I'm sure there are more birds locally than I realize on a daily basis; however, many of those I have never seen in this area in my life. Illinois is a large state, though.

11-26-2010, 03:25 PM   #20
Inactive Account

If I was in your situation I would seriously consider shit-canning your Pentax gear (no offense to Pentax gear, just overstating my point) and picking up a D700. Once you begin using a professional FF camera with those lenses you will pretty much forget that APS-C existed.

And yes, the D700 is THAT good.

c[_]
11-26-2010, 04:17 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Digitalis, any reason for the D300 over the D700 or D7000
the Nikon D700 is about due for an update, with the prevalence of murphy's law in all probability, As soon as you walk out of the camera store door in less than a week the successor will be announced. A D300s probably won't be replaced any time soon as far as my crystal ball can see. The D300s is a great backup body for the larger full frame cameras, and a small DX 35mm f/1.8 lens actually is quite compact and useful (though this lens isn't in the same league as the FA31).

The D7000 is an interesting addition to the nikon line up, I would consider it in the same light as a D300s however, if you already own a K5 there really isn't much point in getting one. Most importantly the D300s has better AF than the D7000
11-26-2010, 05:30 PM   #22
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
the Nikon D700 is about due for an update, with the prevalence of murphy's law in all probability, As soon as you walk out of the camera store door in less than a week the successor will be announced. A D300s probably won't be replaced any time soon as far as my crystal ball can see. The D300s is a great backup body for the larger full frame cameras, and a small DX 35mm f/1.8 lens actually is quite compact and useful (though this lens isn't in the same league as the FA31).

The D7000 is an interesting addition to the nikon line up, I would consider it in the same light as a D300s however, if you already own a K5 there really isn't much point in getting one. Most importantly the D300s has better AF than the D7000
The D300s isnt much newer than the D700, is it? Currently, I have a Kx and a K7. I would probably sell the K7, and most gear, and try to hang on to the Kx and FA50 for just a carry around since most Nikon lenses are quite a bit larger. The Kx could be the gear I con my wife into carrying in her purse when it's more for fun shooting.

The thought of a D700x/D800 with 20+megapixels and all that is a mouthwatering thought, but I doubt I would completely tap the potential of what's out now. It may make more sense to wait a few months and let the price drop after the new model.

Are there any good forums for Nikon reading? I haven't found anything, yet. It was so easy for me to find this forum on Google, and I'm really glad I did, but I can't find much worthwhile for Nikon.

11-26-2010, 10:09 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The thought of a D700x/D800 with 20+megapixels and all that is a mouthwatering thought, but I doubt I would completely tap the potential of what's out now. It may make more sense to wait a few months and let the price drop after the new model.

Are there any good forums for Nikon reading? I haven't found anything, yet. It was so easy for me to find this forum on Google, and I'm really glad I did, but I can't find much worthwhile for Nikon.
I doubt the D800 or whatever the hell they call it is going to be 20+ megapixels, 16Mp is the probable point for the new DXXX series camera IMO.

Dpreview is a good source of (dis)information. If you manage to wade though all the hyperbole it is possible to glean some useful info from the more knowledgeable members on there.

Photo.Net is also another good resource, the crowd there IMO is more traditionalist and less tech oriented than other sites.

there are other good sites out there i'm sure, I don't pay much attention to the online community due to the high number of idiots, imbeciles and self-styled sycophantic sub-pixel peeping "professional" armchair photographers .

/rant.

Last edited by Digitalis; 11-26-2010 at 10:15 PM.
11-27-2010, 12:32 AM   #24

Gently used F100's are selling a low prices, I love mine. Plenty of good film is available and those lenses are fantastic!
11-27-2010, 12:37 PM   #25
Veteran Member

I don't think the F90 will work with Nikon G lenses (70-200 VR 2.8) as it was the last camera they made that needs lenses with apeture rings.

The F100 is a steller film camera. +1 to the above comment.

I would sell some of your Pentax gear and get a D300 to use untill a D700 is in your budget.

As for forums, I like the forum at Nikonrumors, and Canadian Photographer-Forums for all Canadian camera users - Canadian-Photographer.ca News, wich used to be a Nikon forum, but is now a general forum. Still lots of Nikon users. Then there is fredmiranda forums, Nikon and Canon.
11-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Holy Crap

Holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap holy crap
11-27-2010, 09:06 PM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

OK, now that I've recovered - I don't know if you realize how lucky you are, that 400 2.8 alone is mind-blowing.

As great as all that glass would be on a D700, I can't help thinking how long that 400 would be on a D300. A lot of pro shooters shoot the 400 & 500mm Nikon exotics on D300 - it's AF is right up there with the D700.

Nice problem to have.

11-28-2010, 12:02 AM   #28

Of course, if it's just Nikon information he needs, Nikonians.org has tons of Nikkor stuff.

About Nikonians - Worldwide Home for Nikon Photographers
11-28-2010, 01:52 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote

OK, now that I've recovered - I don't know if you realize how lucky you are, that 400 2.8 alone is mind-blowing.

As great as all that glass would be on a D700, I can't help thinking how long that 400 would be on a D300. A lot of pro shooters shoot the 400 & 500mm Nikon exotics on D300 - it's AF is right up there with the D700.
It's an AF-I lens not AF-S which is the current standard of speed amongst nikkors. I own the nikkor AF-S 400mm f/2.8G ED VR with the nano coatings, the more modern lens is optically very similar to it's predecessor and it is truly a superb lens on the D3s. the AF-I lens is somewhat heavier than the AF-S version - 13.9lb for the AF-I Vs 9.7lb for the AF-S (6.3Kg Vs 4.4Kg for us who are living in the 20th century)