Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-26-2010, 02:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

The Dark Side Has Taken Me - I Am Going To Be Jumping on A 5D Mk2

I cannot resist, after spending time with friends with 5D's I cannot be anything sort of impressed.

Low light image performance, noise and well I've finally accepted that full frame is just that much better, shots feel so much more epic with it.

I simply cannot believe how amazing the video performance on the 5D is.

But I had it's ergonomics and feel, it doesn't feel anywhere remotely near as well laid out as the K-7, in my opinion Nikon is second to Pentax in the ergonomics department....but

But at the end of the day the image quality is the big winner and I cannot believe how much better the AF is.

I never needed FF until I used it properly.

11-26-2010, 02:11 AM   #2

Needed for what?
11-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Spex Quote
Needed for what?
Low light performance in stills and video and wide angle lens performance.
11-26-2010, 04:32 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No problem going with the 5DMkII, though the K-5 does quite well on both counts, Chris.

11-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh I know the K-5 has amazing DR and improved AF that's a fact.

But when it comes to the crop factor, DOF and well the AF performance with the Canon system is just that much better.......

But still purely from an image quality perspective it's whats drawing me to the 5D
11-26-2010, 07:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Too be quite honest I also thought the 5D MK11 was a lot of crap - until I ACTUALLY USED one with the 24-105 IS.

It felt very well balanced, lighting fast af and very good awb.

I have used a K7 and the af is archaic compared to the ageing mk11.

The 24-105 is also the perfect walk around lens and delivers the good (with my eyes) in terms of IQ

The fact that just about every serious pro landscape photographer in the universe uses a 5D MK11 offers irrefutable evidence that it delivers the goods over aps-c for landscape.
11-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Not sure if it matters but, 5D Mark III is rumored to announce in March 2011.

What will the specs be ?

We'll see.

Personally, I'd like to see it get the articulated screen found on 60D.

Because of the rumor,
I decided to hold off on 5D Mark II for now, if its dropping off the system the prices will get better,
or 5D III specs will be more appealing to me and I'll save money skipping 5D II entirely.

I've come closer to buying 60D just for articulated screen. I've handled it and 5D Mark II locally.

So I wait for 5D Mark III or the new additional full frame Canon is supposed to launch in March 2011.

If these two rumors prove true,
then Canon will have 5D Mark III and new line full frame camera and 1Ds Mark III in the 2011 Eos System.
5D III is due before 1Ds Mark IV refresh.

Canon is lagging behind Nikon in offering three full frame dslrs.

Last edited by Samsungian; 11-26-2010 at 09:22 AM.
11-26-2010, 12:29 PM   #8
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The fact that just about every serious pro landscape photographer in the universe uses a 5D MK11 offers irrefutable evidence that it delivers the goods over aps-c for landscape.
Yes I too have used a 5DMkII and vouch for its excellent performance.
I'm interested to know what practical advantage a landscape photog would have in the 5DMkII vs the K-5, considering we're talking about similar DR between the two and little need for blistering fast AF and thin DoF in this application.
11-26-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes I too have used a 5DMkII and vouch for its excellent performance.
I'm interested to know what practical advantage a landscape photog would have in the 5DMkII vs the K-5, considering we're talking about similar DR between the two and little need for blistering fast AF and thin DoF in this application.
Maybe it's because you only live once and with FF you no longer have to make any more concessions?? Life's too damn short for "it's good enough", or "it'll do". If you can swing it --- do it!

c[_]
11-26-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I've played with a 60D and I didn't like it, feels very plastic by comparison especially after owning a K-7.

The 7D is excellent but the crop factor is not, the big revelation was a 28mm prime on a 5D and my K-7 at the same focal length, the difference was astounding.

As for the Mk3 i've heard rumours but it appears that it wont be released to end of 2011.

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
Not sure if it matters but, 5D Mark III is rumored to announce in March 2011.

What will the specs be ?

We'll see.
Personally, I'd like to see it get the articulated screen found on 60D.

Because of the rumor,
I decided to hold off on 5D Mark II for now, if its dropping off the system the prices will get better,
or 5D III specs will be more appealing to me and I'll save money skipping 5D II entirely.

I've come closer to buying 60D just for articulated screen. I've handled it and 5D Mark II locally.

So I wait for 5D Mark III or the new additional full frame Canon is supposed to launch in March 2011.

If these two rumors prove true,
then Canon will have 5D Mark III and new line full frame camera and 1Ds Mark III in the 2011 Eos System.
5D III is due before 1Ds Mark IV refresh.

Canon is lagging behind Nikon in offering three full frame dslrs.
11-27-2010, 03:55 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yeah, I read that on forums, the plastic feel of 60D.

It didn't bother me a bit. I really like the articulated viewscreen.

However, I'm hard pressed to ever buy a smaller sensor dslr again.

Which means I've bought my last Pentax, a couple years ago now.

Isn't Pentax 1.52x crop ? Canon is 1.6x. If this is "astounding" then you'll understand why I'll never buy anyone else's crop format dslr. Unless its crazy cheap.

60D at $999 is not that inexpensive.

Seems your best choice is buying 5D Mark II.

I am still quite happy I bought the first version Canon 5D, so I can afford to wait with older full frame cameras inhand.

Going on 3 years owning Canon dslrs and only Canon made Eos lenses I've had no problems at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by Christopher M.W.T Quote
I've played with a 60D and I didn't like it, feels very plastic by comparison especially after owning a K-7.

The 7D is excellent but the crop factor is not, the big revelation was a 28mm prime on a 5D and my K-7 at the same focal length, the difference was astounding.

As for the Mk3 i've heard rumours but it appears that it wont be released to end of 2011.

Last edited by Samsungian; 11-27-2010 at 04:08 AM.
11-27-2010, 04:08 AM   #12
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
Maybe it's because you only live once and with FF you no longer have to make any more concessions?? Life's too damn short for "it's good enough", or "it'll do". If you can swing it --- do it!

c[_]
Why stop at FF then? Let's go with the 645D. Ah, why even stop there? Go Leaf or Hasselblad dMF. Yes, you only live once. But you choose how you want to live it!
11-27-2010, 06:23 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Why stop at FF then? Let's go with the 645D. Ah, why even stop there? Go Leaf or Hasselblad dMF. Yes, you only live once. But you choose how you want to live it!
There's minimal difference between a $1600 APS-C and a $2400 FF Ash, but moving to the 645D is a $10,000 venture, or upwards of $40,000 for the Hasselblad. While I can appreciate your candor, purposely missing my point and trying to use the logic against itself to make me look foolish isn't necessary.

c[_]
11-27-2010, 12:44 PM   #14
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
There's minimal difference between a $1600 APS-C and a $2400 FF Ash, but moving to the 645D is a $10,000 venture, or upwards of $40,000 for the Hasselblad. While I can appreciate your candor, purposely missing my point and trying to use the logic against itself to make me look foolish isn't necessary.

c[_]
Note the smilie at the end of my post, coffee.
There is no attempt to discredit you, sir. The point I posed is: what makes FF enough if APS-C isn't? Then would FF be good enough when there's MF?
I know full well the difference in costs - we still all only live once...
If you were offended by my tongue in cheek remark, then my apologies.
No hard feelings mate?
11-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #15
Banned

Panasonic GH2 beats the Canon 5D MKII in HD video mode

"What is frustrating for Canon now, is that the GH2 is going to go pretty much unchallenged on the market for a good few months. Even the 5D Mark II has a sensor which is really crippled by poor image processing relative to the GH2, so you will get a much higher resolved and more detailed image from the GH2 than on the 5D Mark II. And it's not just detail - dynamic range, colour - everything suffers if the image processing is not up to snuff."

EOSHD.com - Canon 60D versus Panasonic GH2 - Full Review - Part 1

"Shot on a GH2 in 24p "Cinema Mode" using one single lens. The wonderful Voigtlander 25mm F.95. This lens and this camera are soul mates!"

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCIryKSbOwM[/YT]

"Now, the GH2's 1:1 crop feature dramatically increases the macro and telephoto capabilities of a lens, turning an standard macro lens into a super duper one, and a standard 85mm F1.4 portrait lens into a 400mm F1.4"

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NBX94meEi0[/YT]

Last edited by jogiba; 11-29-2010 at 09:00 PM.