Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2010, 06:16 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Samsung NX100 evil

Got this EVIL package clobbered together from Black-Friday pre-sale. With Samsung prior relationship with Pentax, i thought i'd put this thread here to share with your fellow Pentaxian about the NX series and compatibility assessment.

Early observations:
- small camera. still getting use to the controls. the back rotate/press knob is a bad design, i think. my palm keep pressing it during shot. Body is slippy as eel. Easily correctable with a rubber pad.
- the 30mm f2.0 is a lightweight beauty, extremely sharp wide open and possibly sharper than my FA35 f2.0 on the K20D (same chipset, btw)... This lens design is quite unique, and its sharpness alone maybe enough to commit to the camera. a nice, capable package. I hope their future fixies will be just as good.
- the kit lens 20-50 seems sharp enough. Plastic mount on this one. nice and small for the zoom range. iFn button works well but i don't know if it really speed up the overall controls.
- i got the SEF20A flash. nice little flash and well designed to fit on this little package. Sync speed 1/180
- Pentax Flash will fire but not compatible for TTL metering. I use the Pentax flash on auto mode and set the camera to manual setting. Works great.
- will be looking at the NX 50-200 zoom and k-mount adapter. i love to put my 10-17 and try out this adapter, but no place near bay area offer this.

12-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting these comments. So given a few days of use, how would you now rate this against the Pentax line-up ?

It's interesting what you say about the lens. In the days when we were expecting great things for the future from Pentax/Samsung, we knew their strengths and weaknesses and lens making was not one of Samsung's strengths. I doubt very much that anything is changed (maybe wrong). So who is their lens supplier I wonder?

Samsung was never to be a major player in top-class camera design without the experience of a company like Pentax behind them. Perhaps they think they've learned enough from the past to now go it alone. Both my DSLR's are Samsung. My first was the GX-10 (bought for me as a family present) and although I was disappointed at first because it didn't sport the Pentax name, it was enough of a clone to really make no difference. The GX-20 I bought on price as it came as a second-hand bargain. Still happy with both as I can carry on using all my old Pentax bits and pieces. My only regret, I would have liked to have put the profits into Pentax coffers - maybe the K-5.
12-09-2010, 11:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
Focus assessment: autofocus on this camera, although fast (claimed to be the fastest in its class), is still inferior to the K20d. When i set the autofocus zone to precision point focus zone, it has difficulty detecting lower contrast of, let's say, dark & low contrast wood grains or dimly lit subject. Pentax k20d consistently kicks butt in comparison: it maybe slower to latch, but it latches easily in most situation. when i open up the focus zone bracket, its ability to focus improves significantly but the precision goes down quite abit, as the camera try to "guess" and latch on to the highest contrast in the zone, which may miss your intention about where you want to focus.

After 1 evening shooting session in a club, i got only 70% hit in proper focus, most of which associated with dimly lit condition, which reduces contrast detection significantly - this is with AF ligth assist on. At the same time my k20d got 95% hit rate, primarily due to superior phase focus ability. I'm sure the hit rate would improve in time as I'm more comfortable, but this shows the camera design limitation at this point. It's not a hardware you can quickly get good results without being very finicky about each shot. Switching to manual focus is easy though, just 1 push and a rotating dial, this saved me a bunch of shots.

- the palm of my thumb keep accidently pressing the back rotating dial while i'm not looking. In addition, that push and turn has too light of a push, so ergonomically this is frustrating, since you can accidently push the 4-way dial while rotating it and trigger WB menu changes. My oppinion is that the push button force need to go way up to prevent accidental pushing while turning the dial.

day light shooting is great on this one, a no brainer.

Last edited by truonganh; 12-10-2010 at 12:23 AM.
05-04-2011, 01:14 PM   #4

Original Poster
...love the 30mm lens... here's a sample, shot wide open at night, bounced flash. plus 100% crop (no retouching, jpg straight outa the camera)
NX100 with the 30mm NX lens. shot fired f2.0@ 1/50s, ISO400

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
NX100  Photo 

Last edited by truonganh; 11-06-2012 at 09:45 PM.
05-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
... got the NX 50-200. i think the optical formula maybe a copycat of the pentx 50-200 (same size, too, except it has in-lens stabilizer) will post shots later.

Update on K mount adapter: it would not work well with DA lens because there is no way to adjust the aperture. So... not a good match and I won't get it. Too bad really....

i hope Pentax thinks this through regarding lens adapter mount for their beautiful crop of lenses to be (fully compatible?) on the upcoming mirrorless design. If i can't use my DA lens with it, it would seems hopeless.

CORRECTION: the k mount adapter from Samsung have a aperture ring! it also have racheting, so your setting will be in place. works great with DA lens, of course, manual focus.

Last edited by truonganh; 10-21-2011 at 10:21 PM.
05-04-2011, 01:38 PM   #6
Forum Member

Thanks for your impressions on Samsung NX. Interesting to hear about autofocus, I guess there is a room for improvement. I am interested in NX system mostly due to their present and expected lenses. They all look great IMHO. On a side note, have you seen their upcoming 300mm f/2.8 (check photorumors.com)? Although I would never afford it, it's nice to see their commitment to the system.

Marcin
05-15-2011, 04:47 PM   #7
Veteran Member

trounganh, your comparison of the NX100 to the K20D is interesting in that this reviewer speculates that the sensor in the NX100 is the same sensor that was in the K20D and its Samsung brother.

05-15-2011, 06:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I'm pretty sure Pentax applies SMC to the top tier sensors (K10D, K20D, K-7, K-5).

Samsung manufactured the K20D sensor, but they might not be able to apply SMC.

I think SMC might be the difference between the K-5's slightly higher DXO mark compared to the D7000. But that's just my theory.

In fact, I don't know whether any of what I say is true. Its just my guess.
05-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #9
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just picked up an NX100 + kit lens + flash with an Adorama coupon and hope to have both in hand tomorrow evening. They caught my interest because I'm looking for an inconspicuous, high-quality system for urban street shooting and traveling light.
05-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by thethirdcoast Quote
I just picked up an NX100 + kit lens + flash with an Adorama coupon and hope to have both in hand tomorrow evening. They caught my interest because I'm looking for an inconspicuous, high-quality system for urban street shooting and traveling light.
I'm keen to hear your impressions and see some pics! 8)
05-18-2011, 06:56 PM   #11
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
I'm keen to hear your impressions and see some pics! 8)
Will do! I think the NX kit will be the perfect size for my Crumpler $4 Million Home and Haven insert.

The pics might be a while in coming since the weather here is poor and Adorama has seen fit to prevent me from having the camera held at the local UPS depot on a will call basis. Can't do much about the first situation, but I am livid about the inconvenience imposed on me by the second.
05-18-2011, 07:40 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Our weather on the north side of the lake is (roughly) your weather, and it's been ridiculous tonight. Should be better by Friday.

You sure that's Adorama's doing instead of UPS themselves?
05-20-2011, 07:57 PM   #13
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by uccemebug Quote
Our weather on the north side of the lake is (roughly) your weather, and it's been ridiculous tonight. Should be better by Friday.

You sure that's Adorama's doing instead of UPS themselves?
The UPS service rep made it sound like Adorama had a hold on the account, but I have the NX100 in hand now so it's a moot point.

Anyhow, the short form on the NX100 so far is that it's good. Really good!

I made it out and about the neighborhood today and I got some test shots, but they're not the best and the exposure settings are a bit at odds with my comparison dSLRs.

The main issue is that I left the NX100 at ISO 800 in bright daylight. I have the NX100 display set to show very minimal information, and the ISO setting is one thing it leaves out. Oops!

I got some good architectural shots, but they are on the noisy side. I can tell you that in terms of detail my NX100 shots with the 20-50 mm kit lens are competitive with ISO 400 shots from my K10D fitted with the DA 16-45 mm. Sacrilege, I know.

The multi-zone AE metering on the NX100 was also very accurate and AF was dead on outdoors and in lower light indoors.

I also took some around the house macros with the NX100 set to ISO 100 and the GN15 flash attached and in terms of detail those were very competitive with my K-x fitted with the DA 18-55 mm kit lens.

All the shots mentioned above were in RAW. I did some JPEG test shots last night, but some of the shortcomings DPreview noted in Samsung's JPEG engine did become apparent.

I agree with Thom Hogan's comments regarding the NX100's menu and display interface. The AMOLED display was excellent outdoors with the sun at my back. The fonts are very clean and the menus are well organized. It does handle like a cut down dSLR with a bit more shutter lag. I think Class 6 SDHC cards are the minimum speed for shooting RAW because Class 4 takes several seconds to write.

The NX100 and GN15 are almost all plastic, but they both feel very dense and substantial in the hand. Almost all of the switchgear is well-built and gives positive feedback when pressed. However, I wish the command dial on top of the body was a bit sturdier and that the battery door was a bit smoother opening. The SD card slot is also a tad too recessed - cards sit lower than the battery and it can be fiddly to fully secure and unsecure them.

The 20-50 mm kit lens is also light but tight. The iFunction button on the kit lens is a very efficient way to give easy access to major exposure variables. The command dials and menu structure are almost as fast in the event you're using a non-iFunction lens. Most reviewers have been underwhelmed by it, but I think it holds up well against the DA 18-55 and DA 16-45.

The NX100 and GN15 flash take up 2 of 3 slots in my Crumpler 4 Million Dollar Home, and they take up 2 of 4 in my Haven insert. The light weight nature of the kit is very welcome! I also felt a lot more inconspicuous when I was out taking photos. I think that the smaller body and lens attract far less attention from passers by.

Overall, and I know I'm not supposed to say this here, but I'm pretty excited about the NX100. It is a very impressive foray into the EVIL/entry-level dSLR space by Samsung. The thought of being able to get dSLR-quality images from a much smaller kit is very exciting to me.

Samsung is a corporation with $295B in assets, larger than Sony and Panasonic combined, so they definitely have the dough to spend on cameras. If they can hold to their ambitious lens roadmap, improve their marketing, bring out new, possibly weather-sealed, bodies with their 18 MP APS-C sensor, and eventually get some 3rd party support - look out!

Sorry I don't have images posted, but I will try to get some more controlled test shots of my own. In the meantime I'd be happy to throw up what I've got, some 100% crops, point you toward other NX examples, or pass along some YouTube vids of interviews with Samsung's lens developers. Just let me know!
05-21-2011, 04:46 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Thanks for taking the time to write that! I'm pleased to hear that the i-Function .. functions! I think you've written a balanced report and I look forward to getting my mits on one in a store at a minimum.

Samsung is a corporation with $295B in assets, larger than Sony and Panasonic combined, so they definitely have the dough to spend on cameras. If they can hold to their ambitious lens roadmap, improve their marketing, bring out new, possibly weather-sealed, bodies with their 18 MP APS-C sensor, and eventually get some 3rd party support - look out!
And I think that's the kicker. They're not tied to old SLR thinking. They're not tied to any formats. Their marketing and distribution reach are at least the equal of Sony, as well. Also, in my dealings with Samsung I've never had the mystifying BS in pulling support from products the way Sony seems to like to do.

Samsung might have been wise to avoid the tie-up with Pentax and continue the Pentax SLR route. At the time I think Pentax needed them more than the reverse.

It's also worth noting that they're nowhere near as impacted as the Japanese manufacturers by the earthquake and its after-effects in the electricity production in Japan.
05-29-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Really?
I can't believe samsung is larger than Sony.