Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2010, 02:29 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Sealing would make it close to perfect. Thought I'd add I know at least one Leica shooter, a Magnum photographer, who'll be picking this camera up on release...

12-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Finally a digital camera designed for photographers, not people who like to push lots of tiny buttons.
It's frankly mind-boggling that it took so long for a manufacturer to come up with something like this.

What is the projected street price?

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 12-18-2010 at 06:27 PM.
12-18-2010, 09:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
What is the projected street price?

Chris
I heard 1100 CAD from a guy up north, so probably 900-1000 USD. I dunno.

I really like it. lack of even an electronic viewfinder is what has put me off of the micro 4/3 cameras.

I'd have to see it next to my K200D and DA 35 to see what the real-world size difference is. I don't think the X100 is really going to be pocketable.
12-18-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Anyone have any info on whether the optical viewfinder is good/bad looking?

12-19-2010, 11:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Definitely very very interested, I honestly can't think of anything I'd add for the perfect light-weight, quality travel cam, except maybe sealing (shouldn't be difficult given the design...) I wouldn't put one on pre-order though; I think I'll wait and see if they can carry the concept through to execution first
I'd like an actual rangefinder. At the $1,000 price point I'm actually a bit surprised it doesn't have one.
12-21-2010, 12:53 AM   #21
Veteran Member

this is a Pentax Forum. we don't bash other brands for being innovative.

and yes, it is on one of my wishlist since it was first announced. compact size, lens speed, and the promising bright and huge hybrid viewfinder are the main things that attracted me the most about this camera. inspite of it being a fixed lens, I don't seem to mind as a back-up specialty walk-around camera that can do what a dslr camera could with certain occasions.

if it's DR hold true to what it promises to be like the S5 Pro, and excellent NR and IQ retention at High ISO, I would be completely happy even if it's ISO is maxed out at 6400 with very good IQ and DR (14EV). I think this would already be an overkill. so probably a 3200 would be more than enough. the S5 Pr0 is pretty strong at ISO 800, so 2 stops improvement would be logical after a 4 year DR technology.
12-21-2010, 08:31 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
inspite of it being a fixed lens, I don't seem to mind as a back-up specialty walk-around camera that can do what a dslr camera could with certain occasions.
Regarding the X100 having a fixed lens - while it certainly reduces its flexibility there is one distinct advantage --
There won't be a compulsion to bring extra lenses, change lenses, or buy lenses/adapters. You know if this was an interchangeable lens camera eventually you'd fall into that trap. So you are always ensured of its relative pocketability.

I liken the X100 to the Leica X1 but with better performance I expect. I've always wanted the X1 as a walk-around camera but feel the price is too much ($2k), especially since AF is reported as quirky and somewhat slow.

12-21-2010, 09:05 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Regarding the X100 having a fixed lens - while it certainly reduces its flexibility there is one distinct advantage --
There won't be a compulsion to bring extra lenses, change lenses, or buy lenses/adapters. You know if this was an interchangeable lens camera eventually you'd fall into that trap. So you are always ensured of its relative pocketability.

I liken the X100 to the Leica X1 but with better performance I expect. I've always wanted the X1 as a walk-around camera but feel the price is too much ($2k), especially since AF is reported as quirky and somewhat slow.
of course, this is why it would be a great flexible backup. personally, the X1 is just too much especially it is crippled. the X100 answers those shortcomings and can be bought so at half the Leica's cost. I'm not sure if Leica could continue with this setup of pricing with such cameras especially when competition are all-around nowadays.
12-21-2010, 09:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote

the x100 was the only thing really competitive to this, if Fuji lives up to the expectations the x100 is dead in the water.
I agree there is no need on this type of camera for interchangeable lenses (it would be nice to have a camera that gives the m9 a run and brings down the price but that's another animal)
Also given the fact that a large majority of rangefinder users use only one lens (in many cases only owning one if they are poorer leica owners) it shouldn't hamper their styles. As it sits this is the focal length i use most on my rangefinder so I have no issues whatsoever. If I but one my rangefinder will likely sit as a display item mostly with the occasional nostalgic film shooting, and I'll be back to just medium format for Film (oh how I wish i could afford a 645d to replace that end but $12000 buys a lot of film and processing/scanning)
12-21-2010, 01:00 PM   #25
Veteran Member

the promising bright and huge hybrid viewfinder
I don't really understand viewfinder technical info as well as some, but I saw 90% coverage and 0.5x magnification for the optical viewfinder?
12-21-2010, 02:40 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
I don't really understand viewfinder technical info as well as some, but I saw 90% coverage and 0.5x magnification for the optical viewfinder?
from what was reported, it is larger and brighter than the Pentax dslr viewfinders. I don't think the size and brightness would change at all after switching from EVF.
12-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #27
Veteran Member

from what was reported, it is larger and brighter than the Pentax dslr viewfinders. I don't think the size and brightness would change at all after switching from EVF.
Brilliant, works for me. That was my one reason to not being 100% enthused.
12-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CWyatt Quote
Brilliant, works for me. That was my one reason to not being 100% enthused.
I dont blame you. but I'd rather be optimistic. too bad next year might be a lil bit tight for me due to financial obligations. :ugh:

but we'll see.
12-21-2010, 03:15 PM   #29
Banned

i will be selling my K-7 and purchasing one of these. it should be a great digital partner to my M3 and I cant wait to get my hands on one. I went after the K-7 to replace my istD trying to find a suitable compact SLR for street shooting here in Savannah, but after a year, and the purchase of my rangefinder, I have realized the sheer amount of freedom this camera will afford over the SLR.
12-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It will be interesting to see how Fuji develops this new platform. Currently, Fuji offers a drone army of cheap consumer point-n-shoots. But 7-8 years ago they had their "Super CCD" pro DSLRs - the S3 and S5 - which were essentially Nikon D2 and D200 bodies with Fuji electronics. Those sensors were novel at the time and, even by today's standards, offered outstanding dynamic range if nothing else. They occupied a specialized, niche market much like Sigma does today with their Foveon cameras.