Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Fuji FinePix X100

Is anyone amped about the forthcoming FinePix X100 here besides me?

Fujifilm recently posted some information about RAW functionality here.

Really nothing new but enough to have its name mentioned again on blogs and forums.

12-14-2010, 07:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrPetkus Quote
Yes! I got my e-mail directing me to their websit with the new info ...I have already pre-orderd my X100 and anxiously waiting for March/2011 for delivery. Hope it's on time.

Mike.
12-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I knew someone out in PentaxForumsLand wanted this camera as well.

When you pre-ordered, I imagine you pay when the product becomes available?

QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Yes! I got my e-mail directing me to their websit with the new info ...I have already pre-orderd my X100 and anxiously waiting for March/2011 for delivery. Hope it's on time.

Mike.
12-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Fujifilm recently posted some information about RAW functionality here.

Really nothing new but enough to have its name mentioned again on blogs and forums.
Count me as interested, especially if Pentax doesn't release a new wide angle lens next year.

12-15-2010, 12:42 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Fuji's got a dedicated website up: Home | The FinePix X100 Professional Photographer's compact digital camera from Fujifilm

Man, I wish I had the cash for this. God, it's a beautiful thing.
12-15-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm pretty intrigued.
12-15-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The hybrid viewfinder looks fantastic. It's not a Leica copy (neither FF nor rangefinder) but it'll be a heck more affordable and, arguably, versatile.

12-15-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

given the leica with an actual rangefinder (the m9 now that the m8.2 is out of production) runs to $6000 plus lens it's not a leica for certain. however due to the ability to optimize the sensor for the lens and a whole range of issues that leica has to deal with to keep the rangefinder and backward compatability, along with Fuji's proven ability to build a great lens and a good but under appreciated SLR not to mention medium format etc) this could well come close to equaling the M9 and I expect it to better it on some things (like high iso performance for one) Really for the projected price I think it's an amazing value if it lives up to the hype/potential and really have one on my wish list ahead of almost all other items (including the K5.)
What Pentax announces on the Evil front in the new year will have a direct bearing on my decision though

I think of this cameraq as a hexar replacement (for not a lot more than the cost of a ggood condition hexar without the film expense and with the added benefit of video)

It would be nice if DNG was also offered aside from the Fuji Proprietary Raw, Sikypix is decent enough but I hate changing work flow due to compatability which would delay my purchase
and this is a minor disappointment a coupled rangefinder is my favourite focus method
"With manual focus selected, focusing is achieved using the focus ring around the lens barrel. A distance indication bar enables you to pre-focus if required, or you can simply use the electronic viewfinder to focus accurately. There is, however, no rangefinder focusing capability."

but it's not $7500 + with a single lens either (funnily enough almost all the people who wish it was interchangeable lenses are leica users who only use one lens because they can't afford 2 lol)
12-15-2010, 07:17 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
It would be nice if DNG was also offered aside from the Fuji Proprietary Raw, Sikypix is decent enough but I hate changing work flow due to compatability which would delay my purchase
No doubt Lightroom will have compatibility for X100 RAW in short order just as they did for K7 and K5 PEFs soon after those cameras became available. I ditched Silkypix long ago in favor of LR...
12-16-2010, 06:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

No doubt Lightroom will have compatibility for X100 RAW in short order just as they did for K7 and K5 PEFs soon after those cameras became available. I ditched Silkypix long ago in favor of LR...
is the K5 and KR profile out now, there were a number of posts on it not long ago. I'll still stick to DNG as it will always be a supported platform due to Adobes huge influence
12-17-2010, 08:51 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I knew someone out in PentaxForumsLand wanted this camera as well.

When you pre-ordered, I imagine you pay when the product becomes available?
Yes! I have the cash sitting in my PayPal account however from the sale of some lenses I hardly used. I had tried some limited lenses with my K7 as a compact travel & event outfit but didn't really feel that served the purpose. So now I am back to my DA* lenses and plan on using the X100 for a compact travel, and casual event camera.
12-17-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yep - both K5 & KR PEFs supported as of Lightroom version 3.3. View PDF.

I would agree that for Pentax, DNG is the more flexible option (especially to embed metadata vs. XMP sidecar files). However, the concern here is that Fuji won't have a RAW DNG option at all.

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
is the K5 and KR profile out now, there were a number of posts on it not long ago. I'll still stick to DNG as it will always be a supported platform due to Adobes huge influence
12-17-2010, 10:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Yep - both K5 & KR PEFs supported as of Lightroom version 3.3. View PDF.

I would agree that for Pentax, DNG is the more flexible option (especially to embed metadata vs. XMP sidecar files). However, the concern here is that Fuji won't have a RAW DNG option at all.
Which is my concern as well as they don't mention it. As much as I'd like to say i'm going to get one untili see the real thing and can assess it I wouldn't put myself down for a preorder. So far though i'm highly interested
12-17-2010, 02:15 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Very interested in this for street work. Small, unobtrusive, fast controls, good reasonably fast lens at a great focal length.

However, the hybrid viewfinder doesn't interest me too much, I just want a good optical viewfinder, and the only issue I can see with this whole camera is the 0.5x magnification and 90% frame coverage of the optical finder.
12-17-2010, 02:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Definitely very very interested, I honestly can't think of anything I'd add for the perfect light-weight, quality travel cam, except maybe sealing (shouldn't be difficult given the design...) I wouldn't put one on pre-order though; I think I'll wait and see if they can carry the concept through to execution first