Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2011, 11:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sigma dp1s

After coming across this strange little camera here on the forums, I've actually gone from thinking it's too quirky for normal use to developing a grudging appreciation for the Foveon sensor. The pictures are sharp, and the difference between what most digital cameras typically render is somehow subtly different with one of these capturing the scene. I was just interested if anyone else has one, and might care to share their experiences.

Take care.

01-12-2011, 11:53 PM   #2

I've had a DP2 for aout a month, and despite its quirks I absolutely love it: as you say there's something in how the Foveon sensor renders images which I have not found in my other cameras. If only it had a real rangefinder instead of AF; it would be one of the best cameras ever made.

And I have to say I also like SPP very much: it's easy to use, wb controls are accurate, and the x3f fill light function is magical.

I posted a quick comparison a while ago against my Kx at mflenses.com. In fact, I just sold my Kx and will probably start looking for an SD14 or SD15.
01-13-2011, 12:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bushwhacker09 Quote
I was just interested if anyone else has one, and might care to share their experiences.

Take care.
you probably need to go to dp review forums -> sigma slr forum
01-13-2011, 12:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for your response. I haven't used the Sigma photo editor yet--I've been shooting jpegs so far. It is clear that these little cameras certainly produce impressive results when used correctly, given your comparison shots.

01-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bushwhacker09 Quote
I haven't used the Sigma photo editor yet--I've been shooting jpegs so far.
you were doing a great disservice by trying to use in camera .jpg w/ Sigma... SPP or better yet SilkyPix or ACR/LR should be used... Sigma is no Olympus, so not particular famous w/ in camera raw converter
01-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by ludoo Quote
I posted a quick comparison a while ago against my Kx at mflenses.com. In fact, I just sold my Kx and will probably start looking for an SD14 or SD15.
One thing to note about how silkypix develops images--it runs the blackpoint pretty much at 0 so the contrast is a little flatter than something you'd get out of most other raw converters at default settings.