Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2011, 04:43 PM   #1
Inactive Account

NEX5 or E-P2?

Thought I'd post on this forum to get some neutral opinions...

I have an opportunity to get either the Oly E-P2 or Sony NEX5 for nearly the same price. Personally, I've played with both and if money was no object, I would keep both, but...

Considering that either one would cost me the same, which would you keep and why?

02-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Veteran Member

E-p2 for a more mature system - better/more lenses, available from both Olympus and Panasonic, and the Olympus is more of an enthusiast camera, while the NEX system is a compact camera with point and shoot-like controls.

Actually, I would put the new E-pl2 on that short list, I really enjoyed the E-pl1 when I had it.
02-05-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I would have to go for the NEX5, but that's mostly just because I'm addicted to the flexibility of the files from these late-generation Sony sensors and I'd be willing to work around the camera's niggles for that, and use manual glass with adapters.

Your personal preferences are what you ought to be basing this decision on, not the thoughts of random forumites.
02-05-2011, 06:37 PM   #4
Site Supporter

If you can live with the limited NEX lens choices (for the time), then go with the NEX. The sensor is useful in low light. Nice APS-C size improves the crop factor for adapted lenses and captures more light. Shorter flange distance for maximum compatibility with 3rd party lenses. And the electronic wizardry is actually useful. And the articulated screen is a revelation in photography, very useful.

There are significant downsides to the NEX system right now. Foremost is the lack of E mount native lenses. Second is the crappy interface, which you can learn to work around. Third is the horrible pop-up flash. Fourth, I don't think they make an EVF yet.

Finally, contrast AF is slow and bad compared to an SLR. And that is why I don't own any of these. But many people work around the slow AF too. The camera is perfectly suitable for many applications, but too slow for me.

02-05-2011, 07:39 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote

Your personal preferences are what you ought to be basing this decision on, not the thoughts of random forumites.
I know, but that's the problem, I like them both and can't make up my mind...
02-08-2011, 04:41 AM   #6
juu
Veteran Member

What lenses would you like to be having for the system?

m43 has much better lens choices and user interface. NEX has better crop factor and IQ.

Look at EPL2 too.
02-08-2011, 09:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I have M mount 1.4 Nokton laying around...