Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-18-2011, 03:34 AM   #16
Veteran Member

The D7000 is a very good dSLR - I won't try to knock it. I'm sure there are many happy Nikon users.
The K-5 is also a great dSLR.

I fail to see the whole point of this post.

02-18-2011, 03:47 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

I fail to see the whole point of this post.
It is a troll post.
02-18-2011, 04:28 AM - 1 Like   #18

It's not really a troll post. I'm sure it is a common situation for potential K-5 buyers. I am still going to buy a Pentax body in a few months when the somewhat overhyped teething problems have been sorted, as they most certainly will be/ are being. In the mean time I picked up a Nikon D90 body very cheaply - and am having great fun with that. The joys of the late adopter!

The one thing I would warn against for anyone choosing Nikon over Pentax is that the gear may be great but a large proportion of the online forums are excruciating. I enjoy reading the (mainly) thoughtful discussions over here. On some D7000 forums - like the obvious one - you just get the image of sad middle-aged men with too much money, time and camera equipment sitting in front of their screens taking out their undefined anger at their world on other similar saggy men over minute details of technical performance. I am only being partially flippant in saying that it would really put me off getting another Nikon. This place is like the Academy of Socrates in comparison.
02-18-2011, 04:48 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why did you order the D7000?

Because you're more interested in the gear than taking pictures, and because you could afford to.

For the price of either the D7000 or the K5 you could have bought a fabulous new lens, or you could have taken a week of work and spent every day taking pictures.

How good either one is at taking pictures (and the answer is that they are both comfortably good enough for almost any situation) is neither here nor there if you spend your time pondering which system to buy, and comparing them.

Toss a coin, stick with the system that wins, and then go take pictures and forget about the equipment. Honestly, it's more fun that way :-)

02-18-2011, 05:07 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Northern Soul Quote
Why did you order the D7000?

Because you're more interested in the gear than taking pictures, and because you could afford to.

For the price of either the D7000 or the K5 you could have bought a fabulous new lens, or you could have taken a week of work and spent every day taking pictures.

How good either one is at taking pictures (and the answer is that they are both comfortably good enough for almost any situation) is neither here nor there if you spend your time pondering which system to buy, and comparing them.

Toss a coin, stick with the system that wins, and then go take pictures and forget about the equipment. Honestly, it's more fun that way :-)
Toss a coin? I guess that's how you chose the K7, didn't you? It is common sense to do the comparison before consumers make decisions for what to buy. I don't know what's wrong with this. Is the d7k a better camera than K5? I am not sure about this. I have not seen any serious comparison review for those two cameras. The only thing I can say about K5 is: It is the best 135 DSLR from Pentax so far in my opinion. Maybe a little bit too expensive......
02-18-2011, 05:18 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
Toss a coin? I guess that's how you chose the K7, didn't you? It is common sense to do the comparison before consumers make decisions for what to buy. I don't know what's wrong with this. Is the d7k a better camera than K5? I am not sure about this. I have not seen any serious comparison review for those two cameras. The only thing I can say about K5 is: It is the best 135 DSLR from Pentax so far in my opinion. Maybe a little bit too expensive......
No, I chose the K-7 because my K10d broke, and it was the model in the Pentax line-up that most fitted my needs - specifically I could afford it, and it has two control dials and weather sealing, and it works with the few accessories I have.

I chose the K10d because it best fit my needs when I bought it - I could afford it, it was well reviewed, and it was compatible with older Pentax glass, which at the time was cheap as chips. Sadly lots of other people had the same idea and the price of old glass went up.

The OP is not making a comparison before (s)he buys. (S)he has bought both already. Comparing before you buy is normal. Buying and then comparing is something you only do if you have more money than sense. Buying both in order to compare them and still feeling the need to ask advice is either attention seeking, or an indication that either there is very little difference that is significant, or that the photographer doesn't really know what they want from a system - in which case the solution of tossing a coin and sticking with one, but actually using it, is a fine one I think.
02-18-2011, 05:34 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
I tested it under the same settings - in terms of lighting - that I had tested the K5. The K5 missed focus, got it better on LV, AF assist light never came on. The D7000 got it right both with and without the AF assist lamp. Not a fancy pic, my bookcase under a nearby desk lamp, but convincing for me. I only have the kit lens (18-105) for the Nikon, so I am not sure how it would behave with a faster lens. I have not tried video yet to check for the hot pixels.
For me accurate AF is important (I am not a professional but inaccurate AF is frustrating). I still like my Kx very much, but wanted to upgrade to the next level. I liked the additional features of the K5 I tried and I am still used to the Pentax interface.
I have purchased several lenses (close to 10) for K-mount, including some limiteds since I was fully expecting to upgrade to K5. In retrospect this was a severe case of LBA and not a very rational decision. I dont see myself ever going for a FF system.

02-18-2011, 06:02 AM   #23

depending on what youre expecting

If you don' define criterias for choice, comparison is a false question.

My criterias : ergonomic, very light,

For little hands : K5 is better
Because of fantastic pancakes (limited pentax and samsung) : K5 ; a true reflex looking like a bridge (very comfortable when walking in streets)
For AF : 7000 is VERY superior for finding the good focus when you have have different objects or people in the field. Anyway, with fast lens the K5 has never missed the focus.
Ergonomic : because of my little hands : K5
Definition : the same K5 or 7000 (DXO report)
Going outside (sports and animals) : K5 because of the WR quality
IQ : 7000 and K5 : the two have superior image quality. Some prefer the argentic sensation of K5 (So do I)

For optics : a false debate (if you are not professional). I own 6 lenses : DA 12-24 (very good - samsung is cheaper and is the same), DA*50-105 (excellent), DA 40 and 70 ltd (excellent), DA 35 (because I bought with the apparel, but it is the true Wonder plastic). The very good 100 macro WR. I think i will take de 55-300 waiting for DA 300. Ah an old 80-200 very sharp.
So Nikon has a fantastic choice, but so pentax (because of the great compatibility). Anyway, I need only 3 to 6 lenses. So, in all the brands you can get fantastic lenses.

So Ive bought the K5 and it is always the same pleasure to use it because of ergonomic, IQ, and superb lenses.
02-18-2011, 08:00 AM   #24
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The perception of a high probability of getting a bad K5 is holding a lot of people, like me, back from a purchase. If the D7K and K5 were equally compared, both being fully operational at their declared specifications, the K5 would win for my needs without hesitation. It is pretty much a "Dream Camera"....but those nagging doubts and desire to avoid Fedx Roulette keep me from buying at this time.

Hopefully this will change as new production come along and the problems are ironed out....assuming they are. Nikon seems to have solved their focus issues with cameras that were sent in for repair and returned to the owner with no further problem. Maybe Pentax can do the same?
Regards!

BTW- Jthommo, this does not look like a Troll to me by any stretch. It looks like a guy that likes photography and it comes above brand loyalty. Where is the problem with that? Many millions of shooters shoot with other brands and their main desire is to take great photos. He tried Pentax, and was unsuccessful with his K5 so moved on. It could be the same for a Nikon guy coming here......would he be a Troll? Maybe he would just be a dedicated shooter......I like to think that comes first over anything else.
02-18-2011, 01:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
It makes zero sense to run 2 crop sensor systems. One crop and one FF sure, but 2 crop? Pointless. Decide which you like, which lens line up you like best and sell your other gear.
This is kinda true, however I've been considering running a D300 or D2x alongside my D700 for the crop-factor advantage for motorcycle photography.
02-18-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by happygui Quote
The only thing I can say about K5 is: It is the best 135 DSLR from Pentax so far in my opinion. Maybe a little bit too expensive......
I know you're probably talking about the form factor, but strictly speaking, unfortunately, the K-5 isn't exactly a 135 dSLR; it'd make A LOT of people very happy if it was though.
135 = 35mm = a film frame/digital sensor with dimensions of 36 x24mm.
The K-5, as with all Pentax dSLRs to date is APS-C size = a film frame/digital sensor with dimensions of ~25.1 × 16.7mm
02-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I myself looked very seriously at the K5 and eventually settled for the Nikon D7000

Having spent a number of years on this lovely forum it was a hard decision but in the end one cant be tied down by absolute brand loyalty.

Nikon do have some of the best performing consumer zooms in the market place and some very nicely priced primes which produce incredibly sharp results.

I also have found that the Nikon does not over expose as of yet I have had zero blown highlights.

The matrix metering can be nothing short of phenomenal at the best of times.

One most just understand how it is exposing and with a small amount of pp one can extract wonderful results.

Personally the K5 is sold as the absolute best offering form Pentax and guys you have to admit it does not perform as well as the Nikon in 2 certain key areas as the "serious amateur" Nikon e.g. absolute consistent flash accuracy and auto-focus plus auto-focus options.
02-20-2011, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

Why the bleep does anyone care if the OP did careful comparison shopping before choosing a camera? They stated that they got a camera that they like and are now happy with it.

To the OP: Congratulations! I hope you're enjoying your D7000! Take lots of pictures and have fun.

This place gets so uptight sometimes.
02-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Why the bleep does anyone care if the OP did careful comparison shopping before choosing a camera? They stated that they got a camera that they like and are now happy with it.

To the OP: Congratulations! I hope you're enjoying your D7000! Take lots of pictures and have fun.

This place gets so uptight sometimes.
My theory is that because after his comparison, the OP's conclusion meant that the Nikon came on top for him, and well, we can't have shenanigans like that on the pentaxforums now can we? Of course, people would be wildly celebrating and congratulating the OP had he chosen the K-5 instead...

Interestingly enough, I bought my first K-5 off someone who did the same thing and had both the D7000 and K-5 and eventually decided to keep the D7000. He liked the jpeg colours from the K-5, but felt that the D7000 won out on AF and usability, so for him, his choice was the D7000; I don't begrudge him, I got a cheap K-5.
02-20-2011, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter

I've got a D7000. Everything is great, except that I feel like a pack mule and miss the smaller Pentax camera+lens combos.

The grass is always greener on the other side.