Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Closed Thread
Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
02-21-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Nikon/Canon Snobs

I tried to join a Photo Club near my university as I didn't want to join the uni club and they didn't want me as a member because in their opinion only Canon and Nikon make real cameras... I am scratching my head...

Update:

Now another thing...

Ok, I just received an e-mail from a Photographer to whom I sent an application to be a second shooter for a while and he has a sort of mentoring scheme... Here is the partial e-mail I received today (Translated):

Dear Mr [X],
Thank you for your application and portfolio CD, I was delighted by your images. Please call me so that we may arrange an interview, I am positive that I can offer you a place as second shooter and assistant starting on the 3rd of April for a Period of two weeks as previously discussed, you will need to find accommodation in [X]. Do not worry about using your Pentax K-7, I will provide you with a Nikon D300s and Lenses from my collection for the duration of the event, just make sure you bring SDHC cards for storage and your own monopod. You can use one of my student macs, I have Lightroom, PS, Aperture, everything you need. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,

[X]

I am so angry... What the hell is this... I feel persecuted, first the club and now this... Do you think he was joking or something???

Last edited by Student; 02-21-2011 at 10:18 PM.
02-21-2011, 05:07 PM   #2
Site Supporter

It's probably good that you discovered they were idiots before getting involved.
02-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aegon Quote
It's probably good that you discovered they were idiots before getting involved.
Yeah. Pentax cameras are awesome. They have probably never seen one.
02-21-2011, 05:40 PM   #4
Veteran Member

You did not try and join a photo club despite what you thought, you tried to join a photo gear club. It's a good thing you found out early in the piece, I would run a mile from any such gear club, camera gear is for taking photos ... last time I checked anyway

02-21-2011, 06:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't fret in the least, small minds they have.
02-21-2011, 08:24 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Camera dealers often play upon and spread this kind of radical Canikonism, and put down Pentax to their customers, since they don't carry Pentax. The fear of losing a sale drives dealers to spread misinformation about other brands.
02-21-2011, 10:14 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, I just received an e-mail from a Photographer to whom I sent an application to be a second shooter for a while and he has a sort of mentoring scheme... Here is the partial e-mail I received today (Translated):

Dear Mr [X],
Thank you for your application and portfolio CD, I was delighted by your images. Please call me so that we may arrange an interview, I am positive that I can offer you a place as second shooter and assistant starting on the 3rd of April for a Period of two weeks as previously discussed, you will need to find accommodation in [X]. Do not worry about using your Pentax K-7, I will provide you with a Nikon D300s and Lenses from my collection for the duration of the event, just make sure you bring SDHC cards for storage and your own monopod. You can use one of my student macs, I have Lightroom, PS, Aperture, everything you need. I am looking forward to hearing from you.
Sincerely,

[X]

I am so angry... What the hell is this... I feel persecuted, first the club and now this... Do you think he was joking or something???

02-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Assuming this is a genuine offer I would be extremely flattered by that email and jump at the chance.

I am at a complete loss as to why you would feel angry or persecuted, sorry to be blunt but you need an attitude change.
02-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Assuming this is a genuine offer I would be extremely flattered by that email and jump at the chance.

I am at a complete loss as to why you would feel angry or persecuted, sorry to be blunt but you need an attitude change.

I agree with the above post...you want to assist this guy as a second shooter.?....then take him up on his offer..or you are just as guilty as the rest of them in regards to brand snobbery ..

its his job, his tools..after all that's all a camera is..a tool to do a job...Id grab that chance..if he is indeed a prat..then blow it of and suck all the experience you can out of the relationship .....

the nikon 300s is a great camera by all reports..go use it, and learn baby learn
02-21-2011, 11:14 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I was sort of offended that my camera was not seen as "Good enough" by this great photographer.

I have to say I don't know how I'd feel using a camera I don't know with a whole new system that I have never used before... What is the D300s like? Which lenses should I borrow from his collection if I do go there? We'll be doing Fashion Shoots. He makes quite a living so he probably has a lot of lenses... In his studio there is an entire room with like 10 macs for his students to use, he also has a room to print all his work himself if needed, his studio is really huge. I am really keen on working with this guy but I have never used a Nikon...... Do you think I need to bring anything? He says Monopod and SDHC, I have SDHCs but I don't have a monopod... Is there one I can take on a plane?
02-21-2011, 11:54 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
I was sort of offended that my camera was not seen as "Good enough" by this great photographer.

I have to say I don't know how I'd feel using a camera I don't know with a whole new system that I have never used before... What is the D300s like? Which lenses should I borrow from his collection if I do go there? We'll be doing Fashion Shoots. He makes quite a living so he probably has a lot of lenses... In his studio there is an entire room with like 10 macs for his students to use, he also has a room to print all his work himself if needed, his studio is really huge. I am really keen on working with this guy but I have never used a Nikon...... Do you think I need to bring anything? He says Monopod and SDHC, I have SDHCs but I don't have a monopod... Is there one I can take on a plane?
sounds like your gonna get quite a education from this bloke..go for it my son..

the geezer has told you what to bring..so go to it..as for using another system..they all have the same shooting modes.. {AV,TV etc}..and a shutter button..if your unsure what to grab from his collection..then ask the guy.. that's what you are there for after all..to learn....

but if you want some advice on life and this sort of deal..then try and learn some of it by opening your eyes and ears..rather than your mouth with loads of {what this bloke might consider} stupid questions ?...also research some of the Nikon gear. and find out what is considered a decent lens ....Pentax is just another brand, just like all of them..sure we all have a preference , but it wouldn't stop me using whatever to get the job done...
02-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just got off the Phone with him, apparently the reason why the four students he has selected this time are to use a D300s is to see how well they do with it and apparently he wants to organize a sort of mini contest between us too, at the end there is a D300s to win with a Nikkor 50mm 1/4, a 135mm 2 DC, a 300mm 4, a battery grip and an RS Sport whatever that is. (Hope I remembered it right?) I didn't know this whole experience was going to be competitive... Oh sweet Jesus... The winner also gets to work with him further as a second shooter for big jobs for a month... Oh my god!
02-22-2011, 12:18 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Student Quote
Just got off the Phone with him, apparently the reason why the four students he has selected this time are to use a D300s is to see how well they do with it and apparently he wants to organize a sort of mini contest between us too, at the end there is a D300s to win with a Nikkor 50mm 1/4, a 135mm 2 DC, a 300mm 4, a battery grip and an RS Sport whatever that is. (Hope I remembered it right?) I didn't know this whole experience was going to be competitive... Oh sweet Jesus... The winner also gets to work with him further as a second shooter for big jobs for a month... Oh my god!

Holy Hell!

Good luck!
02-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Holy Hell!

Good luck!
I am so nervous. I have only shot like 10 people of which only one was a model... Never been a second shooter before but he liked my (small) portfolio...
02-22-2011, 01:10 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
If he liked your portfolio you are already doing good. I personally think interaction between yourself and the subject makes a good shoot. So have fun with the subject go in with a positive attitude and it will show through in your work. Good luck. I hope you rock his face off with your amazing ability
Closed Thread