Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-01-2011, 05:13 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think in general we come in cause of practical reasons or happenstance, and if we go, it's cause of practical reasons or happenstance.

03-01-2011, 06:05 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Features and price, as someone else mentioned, probably the biggest reasons why anyone leaves one brand for another. The greatest example probably being those leaving Pentax for the Nikon D7000 because the K-5 was priced higher. Spec-wise, their similarities are greater than their differences, so I can see Pentax losing the value proposition there.

For me, I love the "niche" novelty, as Ash mentioned, of using a Pentax camera. Sure, there are features I would love to see implemented with Pentax (i.e. improved flash sync, 1st party tethering, 3rd party support), but these do not prevent me from getting the pictures I want. If anything, it's my skill that's lacking.

At this moment, the only thing that would draw me away would be to go full frame. The IQ and depth of field are definitely enticing, but mainly because I've never tried it and am curious about it. I'm hoping the Nikon D800 comes out soon, as I'm betting there will be mass sales on used D700's as people migrate.
03-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #18
Site Supporter

If I leave, its because of the numbers; 400mm, 500mm, 600mm.

Did I mention teleconverters?
03-01-2011, 09:02 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From the time I'cve been on this forum, my impresion of why people leave pentax (this is my impresion people, I don't have hard numbers to back this up)

1. No Full Frame, 135 format, what ever you want to call it.

2. Poor autofocus for action shots

3. lack of long lenses

4. Quality control issues (K20D hot pixels, K-7 green stripe, K-5 Front focus and spots)

I've been shooting a D200 and a K10D side by side for more then a year now.
My next camera will be a used D300. The K10D needs to get sold.

03-01-2011, 10:20 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Good reasons to leave Pentax are needing better AF performance, needing very long/fast lenses, wanting a FF body and the improved IQ that comes with it, or wanting to go pro and get access to good pro support and rentals. I think these are good reasons to go.

Of course there are lots of bad reasons to leave, but I think most who have a resonable investment in Pentax lenses don't leave lightly and would fall into one or more of the groups above.
+1

I left Pentax because after I started shooting events, I needed better AF performance, consistent flash metering, and wanted the IQ improvement that FF would bring. Access to rental equipment was also a plus as well.

And yes, I had a reasonable investment in Pentax gear.. DA 12-24, DA35 Macro Ltd, FA43 Ltd, FA50/1.4, DA*50-135, K20d + K200d, AF540.. so it was a tough decision at first, until I gave the Nikon D700 a try. It's AF performance was a revelation.

So while I enjoyed certain features of the Pentax system.. compact size, rugged all weather build, and lower price than a FF system.. it's performance in certain situations was lacking so I decided it was no longer the right tool for the job. As much as we may identify with the Pentax brand, in the end the camera is just a means to an end.. a tool that enables you to make photographs.
03-02-2011, 02:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

What did you folks do years ago before we had auto this and that on cameras. Sorry but I still shoot with a k100D no problems no I'm not a pro just got into the digi thing about a year ago. I did four weddings for relatives had no problems using my old film gear 1960s Nikon -f A Spotmatic and Sears TLS none of the fancy. I get upset when people can't wait for the newist upgrade like kids in a candy store ask yourself and really mean it do you need all the fancy things on these cameras. I don't use half the stuff on my k100d and this thing is old now bought it used but only has 4700 shots on it like new to me oh great site.
03-02-2011, 06:26 AM   #22
Forum Member

The reasons I bought a nikon:

I like the third-party support that nikon/canon have. I'm not a fanboy of any brand, if I had a mount-agnostic camera and could choose any lenses that I wanted to use you would see some canon, nikon, pentax, sigma, tamron, cv/cz lenses in my lineup. I don't consider any lens maker to be the best, they all have their gems!

I like the used market for canon/nikon lenses, you can find some great deals buying used. There is a much larger used market for these brands and good lenses get listed more than once or twice a year.

I also really wanted to try full-frame, I haven't been able to afford one yet but I've been buying full-frame lenses only so the transition will be easy.

And finally the D7000 represented an excellent value.

So far I've been extremely impressed with the new camera, I have no regrets whatsoever. Would I have been just as happy with the K-5? Maybe, and I might pick up a K5 used or once their price drops significantly, but for now I couldn't be happier.

I'll probably sell my K-7 since I haven't picked it up once after buying the d7000.

03-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #23
Banned

I have only used my K-7 in the 100-800 iso range and wanted full manual control in video mode and Pentax has still not done that so I purchased the new Panasonic GH2 to use with my Pentax lenses. It was $630 from Panasonic Direct EPP and the K-5 body would have cost as much as my GH2 and Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 lens combo. So I will use my K-7 for doing stills, HDR etc since the K-5 does not have much advantage over the K-7 in the 100-800 iso range and the GH2 has great low light quality @3200 iso in video mode.

03-02-2011, 08:46 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
I have only used my K-7 in the 100-800 iso range and wanted full manual control in video mode and Pentax has still not done that so I purchased the new Panasonic GH2 to use with my Pentax lenses. It was $630 from Panasonic Direct EPP and the K-5 body would have cost as much as my GH2 and Voigtländer Nokton 25mm f/0.95 lens combo. So I will use my K-7 for doing stills, HDR etc since the K-5 does not have much advantage over the K-7 in the 100-800 iso range and the GH2 has great low light quality @3200 iso in video mode.

Joe, I know you are a long time Pentax owner and user...6 X 7, etc. and as a result I find your solution of particular interest.

Instead of dumping your Pentax equipment, you've held onto it, done some obvious research and came up with a Panasonic solution.

Given that you have an investment in a number of excellent K mount lenses, I think that your decision to to get a camera body from another maker, which offers the in camera advantage you want, but that Pentax at this time doesn't offer...is a unique , well considered and resourceful decision.

I have to ask the question though....do you think acquiring the Panasonic body, is the first step to you leaving the Pentax fold completely ?
03-02-2011, 01:47 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I eventually moved to Nikon D7000.

For the price, it's an absolutely amazing dslr and teamed with the 16-85 - wow

When the K5 was bought by some togs on this forum a thread was developed to show case pics and a lot I saw seemed soft and also underexposed - this already raised a red flag.

Then there was the flash issues - red flag

Stains - huge red flag

SDM failure on pro lenses - big red flag

So eventually I went to Nikon.

Every one waxes lyrical about how much better the Pentax ergonomics are yet I didn't find that to be the case - I found the Nikon more comfortable.

And really at the end of the day - it's not THAT much bigger.

With my experience now with Nikon, everything just works, from metering, flash, autofocus etc

Less pp at the end of the day and a lot more keepers as well.

Many on this forum have also derided Nikon glass - yet I have found the consumer 16-85 an absolute revelation and is able in many instances to render breathe taking sharpness and 3d quality to many pics.

I still pick up my K10D with fondness as it has been part of me for 4 years

At the end of the day Pentax had ample time to produce a 100% efficient K5 and IMO they didn't - the K5 faltering in key departments - yet being more expensive.
03-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #26
Inactive Account

biggest reason is that i don't see pentax moving ahead in the direction i wanted to go.

i was really expecting pentax to change their AF to something totally new for the k5/kr.

sure it's SAFOX IX+ vs the old SAFOX VIII+, but IMHO, the 9 is just a slight tweak of the 8 and it seems to have the same issues as the other SAFOX versions.

SDM updates? - none
new lenses - 2, the 18-135 WR w/DC motor and 35mm f2.4
Flash? - none

other reasons:

1. Price - the k5's price at intro was way too high.
2. 3rd party support - there's more lenses and accessories available for the D7000 from nikon and 3rd party. sure pentax has the edge w/ primes, but i'm more of a zoom shooter.
think tamron 60mm 70-300vc 18-270vc maybe they'll be in K mount later, who knows
3. flash - still seems to be the same problem from old bodies as far as the *ist DL. Nikon's OTOH is much more accurate and consistent

i agree with dylansalt, the D7000 teamed with the 16-85 is a GREAT combination.

i think the biggest change for me is that i seem to have not done much testing my d7k camera/lens for issues.
looking back, with my k10, kx, (not so much with the *ist DL and k200) I was testing this, testing that, just to be sure there wasn't a problem when i should be taking photographs and not testing with charts, batteries, cereal boxes .

Last edited by opiedog; 03-02-2011 at 02:59 PM.
03-02-2011, 03:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Well, as far as 'Red flags', it's not like the other manufacturers don't have QC problems all over. One thing about our little Pentax world is we seem to think we're the only ones.

As for automated flash systems, I came in with eyes wide open on that one, kinda hoping they do better, but when it comes down to it I *never* would touch fancy automated flash *anyway,* and a PC socket means if I want to be picky I can do it *right* without shelling out an extra grand.

Frankly, *especially* the way that sensor stain issue seems to be being used as negative advertising, it's like, how much would it really cost to pay someone to nudge something in production? Is that about camera systems or companies with money?

I buy an expensive piece of kit, then get it right, Pentax. (And, frankly, Pentax, keep it simple and get it right, don't play grabarse with bigger companies about specs) ...On the other hand, Don't tell me it's not good kit cause someone screwed some of em up, naysayers. I wouldn't drop fifteen hundred of my own on a spankin' new Nikon *either.* Too old and wily for *that.* Difference between that and my K20d's price shiny new is a *lot* of primo film, after all.

As for being 'A zoom shooter,' Opie, being picky and zooms is not a combination Pentax was ever known for, if the two concepts ever went together to begin with. 'Not enough *off-brand* zooms?' What?

'Speak to me, Kiron! Clear! *fwoopmp!* '

Zooms, you can really have anywhere. I happen to like a brand to which you can say, 'I'd like a regular prime between 35 and 50, or between 50 and 105, ' hopefully smaller than a can of Dinty Moore, without hearing deafening silence or laughter.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 03-02-2011 at 03:26 PM.
03-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #28
Pentaxian

I've ordered a Nikon D300s and lenses.

Main reason is I've ended up shooting a lot of action and sport. I wanted a fast focussing camera AND lens AND be able to reliably use a TC.
I'm also a flash dummy, and if the supposedly great Nikon flash system can help me out there I'll be happy.

I'll miss the size and build of the Pentax, the quiet shutter and standing out from the crowd. Plus of course I'll miss SR.
03-02-2011, 05:02 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I know flash is meant to be a major weakness for Pentax, but I've never had a problem getting very predictable and consistant flash performance out of my external flash. OK I'm no pro shooter doing weddings every weekend, but I've taken perhaps 2,000 flash photos, probably 1,990 of those in pTTL, and have found it very very reliable.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong

Yes I've had trouble with too slow AF at times, yes I find SDM slow, yes I'd like better 3200 ISO IQ, but I just dont get the problem with pentax flash.
03-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #30
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
Joe, I know you are a long time Pentax owner and user...6 X 7, etc. and as a result I find your solution of particular interest.

Instead of dumping your Pentax equipment, you've held onto it, done some obvious research and came up with a Panasonic solution.

Given that you have an investment in a number of excellent K mount lenses, I think that your decision to to get a camera body from another maker, which offers the in camera advantage you want, but that Pentax at this time doesn't offer...is a unique , well considered and resourceful decision.

I have to ask the question though....do you think acquiring the Panasonic body, is the first step to you leaving the Pentax fold completely ?
I have no desire to spend big bucks for a still camera since I have my 6x7 and Epson V700 Photo scanner if I want a more shallow DOF than the 645D and I am more into HD video now. It does not look like Pentax will keep up with Panasonic and others with cameras that have features like 1.5mp EVF and full manual control of video. I have not sold any of my Pentax gear since 1991 when I sold a bunch of 6x7 stuff to Adorama plus my LX system and don't plan on it anytime soon but also don't plan on purchasing any Pentax gear unless they make what I want.