Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #16

Minox 35EL. The lens on this tiny compact is amazing. Also a lot of people have never seen one so they don't know that it is a serious camera.
For digital in my Nokia N97 phone. Its not brilliant but I always have it with me.

03-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
Even 'hard core' Nikon users don't like the Nikon P&S that much. They seem to go for Canon, Panasonic, Samsung, Olympus as well. Very little Pentax P&S either.
I had a Pentax W90 for a short while. Didn't like it.

Checked out the new Nikon that competes with the Canon G 12. Heard that the Nikon glass isn't up to the G series....so got the G12.
03-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote

Checked out the new Nikon that competes with the Canon G 12. Heard that the Nikon glass isn't up to the G series....so got the G12.
After playing with an S90 and a G12, I can say I have the hots for both of them now.
03-07-2011, 02:12 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by older not wiser Quote
Minox 35EL. The lens on this tiny compact is amazing. Also a lot of people have never seen one so they don't know that it is a serious camera.
A Minox 35ML is in my rotation of pocket cameras for daily carry.
Though not the most reliable cameras the Minox 35's do indeed have an exceptional lens.

Chris

03-07-2011, 02:16 PM   #20
Veteran Member

i have a canon 35mm zoom 105qd i paid a whopping $7 for (I remember selling them for closer to $400) that i carry sometimes . really it's the only one i can conceal none of the rest fit in a pocket (i've been looking for a good Oly XA for this purpose)
03-07-2011, 03:33 PM   #21

Photos: Gallery
Sometimes I take my Leica III with me due to it's compact size, but loading film is a real pain in the ass (film has to be trimmed about 2") and it's really quite heavy with the beautiful Serenar 85mm f/2 attached (although the 50 f/1.8 is acceptable).

So I mostly take my Panasonic Lumix FZ28 with me. 18x zoom with Leica optics and full manual controls, 1/3 of the size of my K20D and about 2000x lighter. Decent battery life and speed, as well.
03-07-2011, 03:58 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
After playing with an S90 and a G12, I can say I have the hots for both of them now.
I wouldn't mind having an S95 also..smaller and easier to tuck into a pocket, than the g12.

I see you have a LX...wanted to get one, never was able to..great camera.

03-07-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K20D + FA77. Fits in my little over-the-shoulder bag.

Would go smaller if I could maintain same quality.
03-08-2011, 06:32 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
K20D + FA77. Fits in my little over-the-shoulder bag.

Would go smaller if I could maintain same quality.
HA to be realistic my K7 with some small prime or another is my norm. always in the messenger bag (occasionally with a second lens)
lenses though not up to your standard kit. Limiteds are restricted to my lust list at the moment (the 77 is at the top)
03-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Limiteds are restricted to my lust list at the moment (the 77 is at the top)
I couldn't afford the FA77 but bought it anyway, finding a good deal used here on the forums. Sell a few things, save some money and take a dip... expensive but well worth it.
03-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I couldn't afford the FA77 but bought it anyway, finding a good deal used here on the forums. Sell a few things, save some money and take a dip... expensive but well worth it.
that will be the ultimate plan, i use pretty much all the gear i have now though so it's a little ways off (and I have a couple of pieces in serious need of a CLA that i would like to be using)
03-08-2011, 10:27 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Out of curiosity, Les, what didn't you like? I've been keeping my eye on those and similar for my sweetie (who's far from a serious photographer, but those macro illuminators and weatherliness seem to be the perfect combo there) for somewhere a little ways down the road if things go well.
03-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Out of curiosity, Les, what didn't you like? I've been keeping my eye on those and similar for my sweetie (who's far from a serious photographer, but those macro illuminators and weatherliness seem to be the perfect combo there) for somewhere a little ways down the road if things go well.
I didn't like the fact that the battery life is very short.

My problem with my W90, was that it wouldn't shut off. Problem with the on-off switch. I had hardly used it, took it back to the camera store. They didn't have any other W90's in stock...a good seller, just sold out after Xmas.

I could of waited, but I decided to take it back and kick in some more money and get the G12...great camera, BTW.

The W90 has some great features....under water, water proof, rugged, that macro deal with those Macro led lights worked very well.

I think you might want to check out the new Pentax that replaced the W90 as it has similar features...but improved and an optional GPS...I think.
03-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I didn't like the fact that the battery life is very short.

My problem with my W90, was that it wouldn't shut off. Problem with the on-off switch. I had hardly used it, took it back to the camera store. They didn't have any other W90's in stock...a good seller, just sold out after Xmas.

I could of waited, but I decided to take it back and kick in some more money and get the G12...great camera, BTW.

The W90 has some great features....under water, water proof, rugged, that macro deal with those Macro led lights worked very well.

I think you might want to check out the new Pentax that replaced the W90 as it has similar features...but improved and an optional GPS...I think.
Yeah, there may in fact be more than one newer model by the time this idea of mine comes about. I suppose not-turning off would be less than fun, but that'd be a defective unit. Just sort of keeping an eye on those.
03-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Yeah, there may in fact be more than one newer model by the time this idea of mine comes about. I suppose not-turning off would be less than fun, but that'd be a defective unit. Just sort of keeping an eye on those.
You're right it was a defective unit. It's unfortunate as I've had Pentax equipment (slr's, dslr's, lenses,flashes, etc.) since I bought my first slr a, 68 Pentax S1a...in 1968.

First bit of Pentax equipment I've had be defective ...ever. I guess I was due.

Les