Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Samsung NX10/11 vs. wait for Pentax ILC/EVIL/etc.

One of my typical complicated posts, par for the course.

As brief as I can put it: I've been hoping for some kind of walk-around, general purpose camera that is a step above the common point-and-shoot, but not a high-end P&S like the Canon G-series or the Nikon P-series. My conundrum is whether to seriously consider a camera like the Samsung NX10 or wait for Pentax's answer to the mirrorless category.

A camera like the NX10 is appealing for multiple reasons: Size, cost, weight, sensor size (and the image quality that comes with it). Also, Samsung has a very nice 30mm pancake lens that gets very high marks and it's a "normalish" focal length when you take into account the 1.5x crop. I'm very attracted to the idea of the NX10 simplicity. I actually don't want a zoom. I want the spontaneity of, say, a rangefinder. Go out and shoot, that's it. I love shooting with my K-7 and the DA L 35mm 2.4, but sometimes it's too big to lug around. Micro 4/3 cameras are attractive, as well, for most of the reasons I listed above, but the only primes available are either too wide or telephoto. Off the top of my head I don't recall the brand, but there is a 25mm lens available for M4/3 that's crazy expensive. The upcoming Fuji rangefinder is also too wide-angle for my taste, and also just too pricey.

Now, Pentax is supposed to be coming out with something mirrorless, but of course we have next to nothing spec-wise, not to mention a price point or time line for availability. Plus there's the indication that it will sport a sub-Micro Four Thirds sensor. We don't even know if it will have interchangeable lenses (although again, so long as it's a "standard" focal length I don't really care if it's an integrated lens or not).

I'd like to support Pentax, but I'm in one of those weird positions where I can get something like the NX10 at a good price NOW because it's stock is being phased out. To boot, there is supposed to be an NX11 replacement available with a few minor improvements, but I can't find it anywhere. Really, no where. It was supposed to be available in February, but I can't find even a rumor of it on Adorama/B&H or any other retailer.

Thoughts, comments, concerns?

03-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Pentaxian

My completely biased opinion would be to reconsider the m4/3rds cameras. The reasons:

- Despite the smaller size, the latest generation of Micro 4/3rds sensors, so E-PL2, G2, GH2, have (according to every review I've read) better IQ than the Samsungs.

- The Micro 4/3rds lens line-up is (in my opinion) the most mature of the mirrorless systems. And indications from Panasonic and Olympus, as well as a collection of third party manufacturers, indicate that it will continue to get better.

- The Panasonic 20/f1.7. This is fast, compact and offers the equivalent of 40mm on full frame, which is almost the perfect neutral focal length. It also measures off the chart for sharpness...

Sooo, if you just want a walk around with a prime and decent IQ, I'd get either the Panasonic GF1 or Olympus E-PL2 with the Panasonic 20/f1.7.
03-12-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd wait and see how the new lineup of Samsung lenses turn out. If one of them catches your fancy that will be a good reason to buy into the system.
03-12-2011, 10:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
- The Panasonic 20/f1.7. This is fast, compact and offers the equivalent of 40mm on full frame, which is almost the perfect neutral focal length. It also measures off the chart for sharpness...
I researched the Pany 20mm 1.7 and you're right, the center sharpness, at least, appears to be magnificent. And of course, 40mm equiv. for the Panasonic vs. 45mm from Samsung isn't a huge difference.

Photozone.de reported some oddness when it came to the conversion of RAW files with LightZone over Silkypix (it may be moot point for me, as I'm pretty happy with Adobe Camera Raw). To summarize, the center sharpness and border sharpness differences along with some strange distortion behavior can be mitigated. Unfortunately, it also means a slight loss of FOV...

I don't know, I've seen and read a lot of good things about Panasonic, but whatever I go with want something with a viewfinder. Both Panasonic and Olympus have bodies with optional EVFs, but those are out. I'm not dumping another $200+ on something that could otherwise be part of the camera.

03-12-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
I'd wait and see how the new lineup of Samsung lenses turn out. If one of them catches your fancy that will be a good reason to buy into the system.
And of course, that's another thing to add to my list of frustrations; does the system have legs? One or two of the newly announced lenses seem oddly large when seen attached to the NX bodies. That's not a real problem, just an observation.

I wish there were a cure for my particular strain of CBA/LBA!
03-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #6
Pentaxian

If you're after a built in EVF, the Panasonic G1/GH1, G10 and G2/GH2 all have one.
03-13-2011, 05:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have been happy with the nx10, and the 30mm is very nice as well. I always like to have a camera when I go somewhere and I got a good deal on it last year. For me, I wanted a viewfinder built in, and the panasonic was a lot of money for me as just a backup camera. Here's a sample with the 30mm.

03-13-2011, 06:46 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm almost in the same boat as you. I want to get a backup system that is smaller and more easy to carry around. I've been looking at the Nex5 from Sony instead due to the excellent reviews I have been reading on it. However, I would wait till Pentax releases theirs and see how it holds up.
03-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
If you're after a built in EVF, the Panasonic G1/GH1, G10 and G2/GH2 all have one.
The Panasonics were all sound offerings with the exception of the G10. The price was oh-so tempting, but it has a much lower EVF resolution than it's siblings. Too bad, as it does not have the swiveling LCD screen (hence, lower price) and that's precisely what I liked about it. None of this articulating screen nonsense...
03-16-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
Banned

The GH1 body sells for $398 on Amazon and works great with my Pentax lenses using an adapter.
Amazon.com: Panasonic DMC-GH1K 12.1MP Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Camera & 1080p HD Video (Body).: Camera & Photo